Saving my Starion from my Insurance

DryBear

So a couple of weeks ago, my Starion got into a fender bender - I was going downhill, on a two lane, one way street. I was in the left lane, and there was a new SUV in the right lane ahead of me. The idiot driver in the SUV decides its a good idea to make a left turn *from the far right lane* to get into a side street we are about to cross on the left-hand side. So he suddenly cuts in front of me, and I have no choice but to brake and brace for impact (remember we are going downhill) - so I tag his left rear wheel, and this is the result:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/DryBear/Starion/IMAG0210.jpg

In any case, my insurance company gets back to be and just wants to total the Starion, but of course I want to keep her on the road for as long as possible. The engine runs fine, and everything works - just looks like I need a new fender, header panel, grill, side marker, and air dam. Guess I will have to do the buy-back thing and repair her myself.

Any tips on getting the most money back from both my insurance and idiot SUV driver's insurance?

So a couple of weeks ago, my Starion got into a fender bender - I was going downhill, on a two lane, one way street. I was in the left lane, and there was a new SUV in the right lane ahead of me. The idiot driver in the SUV decides its a good idea to make a left turn *from the far right lane* to get into a side street we are about to cross on the left-hand side. So he suddenly cuts in front of me, and I have no choice but to brake and brace for impact (remember we are going downhill) - so I tag his left rear wheel, and this is the result:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/DryBear/Starion/IMAG0210.jpg

In any case, my insurance company gets back to be and just wants to total the Starion, but of course I want to keep her on the road for as long as possible. The engine runs fine, and everything works - just looks like I need a new fender, header panel, grill, side marker, and air dam. Guess I will have to do the buy-back thing and repair her myself.

Any tips on getting the most money back from both my insurance and idiot SUV driver's insurance?

I think u are the mercy of the insurance company--if they want to total it they are useing the book value of the car versus reapair dollars---usually if the damage is over 2/3 of the cars worth they total it and u buy it back from insurance company----call ur agent and let them know u want to keep it and im sure they will help u with the process--just my thoughts--not for nothing that is easily fixable---

gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

I did this w/ my 1st Quest. Then put it back on the road. Took a "wrong turn" last end of summer, bought another one, but just a couple of days ago got serious about fixing it again & putting back on the road. Excited all over again! :P

Ok here is my two cents. The thing that is going to kill you is parts. They cannot find the parts for this car and the insurance only looks at the parts at retail cost. If they add the total cost it will be more than half the value of your car, then they will total it. Even if it’s safe to drive it just they look at the cost to repair the car.

Now if you can get the parts like the passenger fender, bumper, and that corner light. Then it will save the insurance of providing those parts at retail. That’s how you cut the total cost of parts down. They will reimburse you if you show them how much you paid for it from the grand total they are willing to cover for your repair.

Then most of the cost will just be repair and paint. If you’re lucky and there is not much structural damage to frame the insurance will cover it.

I had the same issue on my first Starion and bought it back but then I had to go through the entire referee inspection, and all that crap since they will consider you car salvaged. That’s cost money there again.

It’s just better to either take what they give you for the total repair or find a shop that will do it or find those parts and see if you can work with the insurance to repairing the car. Don’t salvage it.

FYI, in the Fairfield Pick n Pull they have pretty much the whole passenger fender, passenger light, hood and header panel there. I’m sure you can get it pretty cheap. I was there 1 week ago so it should all still be there.

save it they tolled mine in 2007.they gave me 4000 and i bought it back for 150 and now its my parts car....but my support wall was bent!!! so i looked for a new one for two years and got it for 2200 with a full set of lovers and mud flaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just go to show you can turn a bad situation in to a WIN WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!............

Why do you even have to let them total it? You may find you can get them to pay you a certain amount less than the total value and you get it repaired for that amount. I guess it depends on the numbers they're talking and the insurance company. For instance, let's say they will give you $2k to total it because they think the repairs are more than that. You can find the used parts yourself here for say $300, then have them painted for another $300-500, then put it together yourself. So, you tell the insurance company that you want to make a $800 claim and keep the car from being "totalled" They'll be happy because they won't have to pay $2k, and you'll be happy because your car won't have a salvage title and will be able to be fully insured.

If they won't go for that, then I guess you can either let them total it and buy it back as salvage, or you can just have them cancel the claim, fix the car out of your own pocket, keep the title clean, and your insurance rates down.