Best Clutch and Throwout bearing for the flatty.

flatty86

I finally got my car running but hear a loud grinding sound that seems to be coming from the tranny. The person I bought the car from said I need a throw out bearing. Since i'm going to be taking down the tranny anyway, should I Just go with the racing clutch? What is the best one to get? Thanks in advance.

No, no racing clutch, that's just a bad idea. Also a bad idea is trusting what a previous owner told you. Pull the tranny and look for issues, if it is a bad throw out bearing you will be able to tell. If its not you'll find out what is wrong.

As far as replacement clutches, I really like the ACT heavy duty, near stock pedal feel with a huge increase in holding torque.

ACT clutches are all much heavier than stock. Scott has his info wrong (sorry). I have had the most entry-level ACT clutch (the HD street I got through midwest turbo way back when) and the baddest mofo they make (the maxx xtreme) as well as stock and a real stock-feeling aftermarket clutch (the SPEC stage 3+) and the only one that felt anywhere near the stock, squishy, soft pedal was the SPEC clutch. The HD street ACT unit is nice, the pedal isn't too hard, but that maxx xtreme was very heavy. It took some getting used to.

While in there, why not swing for the larger size if you have a bit of dough to throw into it? All of the wear items will cost the same (maybe even a bit less as the larger one is a more popular size). A larger flywheel can probably be sourced inexpensively. A larger clutch isn't a bad thing (Mitsu certainly went bigger); I always say "replace into an upgrade" and I did so on my 86. I think the larger size is a no brainer. A larger clutch will deal with heat better and engage a bit more smoothly even if it is an OEM replacement. You may find that is a better move than changing to a faster wearing compound.

I will admit my most indepth expirence with clutch styles comes from other car makes, but I think they still hold true. If you like you car to feel like a race car an agressive clutch and a light flywheel will make that happen. It will mean no slip even when hot. It will mean increased wear as well. It will be a bit grabbier, a little hard to let out smoothly. Driving wise, you'll adjust in a day or 2. But before you spend the money have an idea of what you really need. No need to go spend more money than you need to on a less drivable clutch that wears faster if you won't see any real benifits from it. If you aren't going for big power, I'd keep it more tame.

If you look at aftermarket flywheels; With the amount mass the G54 spins I doubt it will suffer much from the drivability isues I dealt with on much lighter built engines. My "lightweight" CompetitionClutch G54B flywheel is still something like 12 LBs heavier than the lightweight flywheel on my autocross Saturn. I know there are lighter flywheels for the G54B, I just liked the CC one and again going even lighter wasn't really needed because this car is more of a hobby car rather then an on the edge race setup.

I paired the flywheel with an OEM grade ACT disc and HD pressure plate. I figure this will be decent for a long time to come with my car plans. I'd hate to buy a more agressive clutch and need to replace it before I ever make the power the actually need it.

Where did you purchase your larger clutch/flywheel? I don't really want it to be a drag car, but since I was already taking down the tranny, I wanted to put in a better clutch than the factory, so if I decide to add more power then the clutch could handle the power.

I bought a stock 87-89 flywheel on this forum. But later decided to get a CC one. I've forgot where I got it, Maybe Ebay. I'm holding onto it for possbile use at a later date or I'd sell it to you. I'm sure if you ask someone has one they'd sell.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/340997_278005935548497_1791818_o.jpg

CC stands for competition clutch. 83-87 had the smaller flywheel (225mm clutch) and the 88-89 had the larger one (240mm) that information is correct, Cloud89191092 is wrong. Cloud, please make sure you have your info straight when advising n00bs.

The spec clutch I had was expensive at around 500 bucks, maybe give them a call and see what they say. Free to call, free advice. Maybe they have a more entry-level one with a light pedal.

You could always get an ebay 6 puck sprung hub disk and install that with your stock pressure plate. It would grip harder, but still feel stock.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, all of the '88-'89's were intercooled.

You really don't need to upgrade the trans, but it won't hurt.

As for clutches, I prefer the ACT Street. Very smooth and grips much better than stock.

If you are on a budget, the Luk is about the best for the money. I've never felt it slip on my intercooled '83 CBRII car. Pouring on the gas in 4th and 5th gear and never a slip. It is the 225mm one too.

The slave rod is a different length on the newer trans. You may need to make one from stainless, or get the correct one with the trans. TO is different too, but if you get the same year TO for the '88-'89, then that one is correct to match the trans. Also, keep your old trans around for parts until you are finished with the job. The pivot ball, etc.. is different too, but getting the correct TO for the pivot ball is all you need there.

Indiana has very good info on doing the swap. You should contact him or visit his site with OEM drawings, etc...

Whats wrong with your tranny? No reason to upgrade to an 88/89 tranny. If its not rebuilt you might have issues with it as well. If yours is fixable i would go that route.

There is nothing wrong with keeping the 225 flywheel. I don't get on this board often but i noticed you have had a lot of issues with your car. I wouldnt dump a ton of money into upgrades if all you needed was a TO bearing or a simple fix to the tranny. id hate to see you dump cash and time into upgrades on a car that wont run or has other gremlins.

If you need you know whats wrong with your tranny let us know. I may have parts laying around for it. I keep a spare 5 speed around for just such occasions:)