Stereo Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Stereo Dilemma (11 member(s) have cast votes)

What should I do?

1. Keep Radio Stock (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Just Add a Sub (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Aftermarket Radio with EQ and Subs (10 votes [90.91%])

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,560 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:22 AM

I've been debating what to do with the stereo in my SQ.  First off everything works, miraculously.  CD, radio, tape deck, steering wheel controls all work.  I'm using a 1g eclipse premium radio.  It's a straight plug in radio with a factory external amp behind the head units.  Looks like it belongs there.  But it has limited control over the sound and doesn't play MP3s.

Radios I've set up for my cars in the past had an external EQ, subs and amps for all the speakers.  More control and better sound.  I put a radio with a USB port in my pickup and have enjoyed having my entire library on one flash drive.  But when it comes to my SQ it's a tough decision.  I really like how the OEM radio looks in the car.  But I also want better sound and MP3.  I have some stereo stuff left over from those days I can use like an Alpine 3331 EQ, a Kicker Solo Baric sub and a few amps.  I've narrowed it down to 3 choices.

1.  Keep the stock radio and make no changes.
2.  Get an amp with remote gain control and add a sub to the stock radio.
3.  Aftermarket radio with USB, Alpine 3331 EQ, Kicker sub and amps (surround and sub amps)

Here's my current setup that works with the steering wheel controls.

Posted Image

Here's what the Alpine 3331 EQ looks like.

Posted Image
My 87
Posted Image

#2 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:40 AM

Go for an aftermarket touch screen with navigation, back up camera, Bluetooth etc. Hands free calling is nice and I dont know if your windows are tinted but mine were 20% front 15% rear and it could be hard to see at night sometimes backing up.

If you're running a MS some head units run off Linux and can use apps so maybe shadow dash ms might work. Some units take SD cards so you could load them with a ton of MP3's or use music from your phone via Bluetooth.

The price on aftermarket nav radios with all those functions has dropped a lot over the years. I remember when they were close to 1k new but now go for around 150-400 depending on size and make.

Edited by Turbo Cary, 19 May 2019 - 08:43 AM.

#3 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

All the way option 3. Just do it in a way (like a nice kit fit double-din) that it can be put back stock if desired in the future. If you replace your fronts, do it with components with the tweets in the stock dash speaker locations, sounds awesome.
Posted Image

#4 aknorthstar

aknorthstar

FarNorth Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

Same thing, i have added a small digital amp behind the dash but want more options like mp3s and a sub would help.Posted Image

#5 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:54 AM

Nice modern touch screen w 3000w amp and couple of 12s lol

#6 vanillagorilla

vanillagorilla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!
  • Model:Other

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:00 PM

How are you planning on playing the MP3's?   If you just need a 3.5mm headphone jack i have heard of people deleting the tape deck and soldering your own 3.5mm cable to the head unit itself. Here is a link to a video of that show this on a JBL factory unit.  Not sure if it applies to all head units or just JBL.

https://www.youtube....h?v=bRIswrodoM8

My vote is to replace the entire system.   New or used whatever fits your budget.   Hands free is a nice feature to have.  Just depends on how often you want/need to be on your phone while driving.    You can get headunits with apple car play or android auto.

#7 ucw458

ucw458

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,560 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:10 PM

I can play MP3s now with a tape adapter.  But it's not the greatest quality sound.

It's surprizing how many say ditch the OEM.  I know aftermarkets have more features and better sound but that stock deck fits the car.

I'm tempted to run this amp to give better quality sound and run a sub with remote gain control.

https://www.kicker.c...smart-amplifier
My 87
Posted Image

#8 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hotrods, ratrods

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:50 PM

I use this adapter in all of my cars, sounds better than using any form of aux cord
https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Spark plug elimination kit

#9 ucw458

ucw458

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,560 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

View PostSkullzaflare, on 21 May 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

I use this adapter in all of my cars, sounds better than using any form of aux cord

That would work, though my MP3 player doesn't have bluetooth.  I would have to buy a different one.

Kinda funny how that device would work if you think about it.  First your MP3 player takes your digital file and processes it so it can stream it wirelessly over bluetooth.  Then the bluetooth receiver gets the signal from your player, processes it into an analog signal then low power broadcasts it in the radio frequency band.  Then your radio picks up that signal filters and amplifies it and sends it out to your speakers.  Quite a few steps just to play music.
My 87
Posted Image

#10 Jay40245

Jay40245

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:52 PM

View PostSkullzaflare, on 21 May 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

So there's no hum or buzzing? Impressive if that's the case

#11 Jay40245

Jay40245

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

I am a huge fan of the look of the stock head unit. That being said, there is a whole slew of awesome features that can be found with a touch screen. I Rationalize it by saying that I can always put the stock one back in my if I choose. Also, this platform was always about pushing the limits of technology available at the time. In the spirit of the design of the car, it's only fitting that it be upgraded with some of the latest and greatest tech. It's on my list for sure

#12 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hotrods, ratrods

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:55 PM

View Postucw458, on 22 May 2019 - 11:44 AM, said:

That would work, though my MP3 player doesn't have bluetooth.  I would have to buy a different one.

Kinda funny how that device would work if you think about it.  First your MP3 player takes your digital file and processes it so it can stream it wirelessly over bluetooth.  Then the bluetooth receiver gets the signal from your player, processes it into an analog signal then low power broadcasts it in the radio frequency band.  Then your radio picks up that signal filters and amplifies it and sends it out to your speakers.  Quite a few steps just to play music.
Well the thought is you can use  your phone lol, can use pandora or songs on the phone. The bluetooth will connect to your phone even about 65ft away from in a building, its over powered lol. I have one in my 2012 mazdaspeed 3 (built in blue tooth SUCKS), one in my 95 f350, and one in my 99 s10. The audio quality is far better than anything that comes in over the air, in the mazda i actually have to turn bass down a little.

View PostJay40245, on 22 May 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

So there's no hum or buzzing? Impressive if that's the case
No noises at all. Also there is damn near no lag in the audio transfer, unlike the bluetooth built into most cars that seem to have a 1-3 second delay
Spark plug elimination kit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users