A way to fix those ugly seat bumps

hey_obie

I have developed a quick way to deal with those ugly bumps in the leather seats. The bumps are caused by a strip of plastic (about 3/4 inch wide and the width of the seat. Over time, the plastic has had problems expanding and as a result, has become very wavey which is what the bumps are all about.

So the solution is simply to take the plastic out. Then soften the leather up and over time, the leather evens itself out and the bumps significantly disappear over time.

What I discovered is that the seam where the bumps are is NOT a seam that holds the leather together. The seam strictly holds the plastic to the leather seat. So you can remove the stitching and there is no damage done to the seat.

So you need to get seam ripper and remove the stitching to free the plastic. The plastic does not go all the way to the edge of the seat which is very helpful to make the plastic removal easy.

Once you have the seam out, you need to get the plastic out. I probably could remove the plastic without removing the seat, but I wouldn't recommend trying it on the first seat. So remove the seat. What you need to do is cut a slit in the foam seat bottom and get your fingers on the plastic strip (you can actually just poke your finger through the foam - that way you are guaranteed you won't cut the leather). If you have done a good job of removing the stitching, you should be able to pull that plastic out and you are done.

Put the seat back and soften the leather with Lexol or your preference. As time goes on, the leather pulls the majority of the bumps out. It won't be perfect, but it looks a million times better and the bumps are not staring back at you.

Obie

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'd think carefully about it. That plastic strip was there for a reason, and I suspect it has something to do with supporting the weight of the person in the seat. Once you take that plastic strip out I wouldn't be surprise if the stitching fails quickly...

• 1 month later...