theJohn1320

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Cars women bacon and beer
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:25 PM

Hello, John here.
I posted a long time ago (perhaps years) when I last shopped for one of these cars.
You all had helped me gauge a rough cost/value for given conditions of wear. You told me what i can expect, what to look for, and told me i was crazy for wanting one. THANK YOU!
The one i looked at years ago, upon final look under belly, was wholly unsafe and not worth touching. (was rusted clean through frame supports both sides up front) That seller wanted >2k iirc.

I was casually looking this month for a 2nd vehicle, running or not, to start prepping for next summer as a backup/ hot day (anything with a/c) and weekend pleasure driver.
Low and behold, an 88 Conquest on CL found ME!  I didn't even take it seriously, as the picture was a horrible distant side shot, buried in a field with high weeds all around.
I figured it to be junk in my mind, but something drove me to message the seller. the next week I touch base with the person, and finally get an address. The Conquest was literally BLOCKS from my 2nd job bosses' house!
I have been driving by this car for months, not knowing it was there. It was back a ways just outta sight for any person to see that minds the road. I finally get to see the car, which had been cleared of brush and weed. I am pleasantly surprised at how it only had the usual seat and lower clip damages, but can't find other gripes. I come back the next week to look under the belly, which was kindly lifted before i got there.   Can't find ANY rust. OKAY, I have something here!   It DOES NOT run of course. ( I knew this from 1st message exchange)

Ask was 1500, I offered 1k- so if i can't get it done, i don't get bit.  Offer accepted!
I just pulled the tank today, so the fuel system work and the usual Conquest newbie owner checklist has begun.
Attached File  112016 057.jpg   383.06K   28 downloads

#2 theJohn1320

theJohn1320

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:33 PM

The owner bought it from a guy who had it sitting for 15 years, just a few miles from the area. Needless to say, after claiming to have driven it for a bit, it would quit on him all the time. Geee... I wonder why, lol!  I pray he didn't hurt the motor too much, time will tell as i start working through tests and lists. What has happened was of course black scale and junk buildup in the tank. He put in a new pump (not even the right one), didn't put a sock on the pickup, and locked up his new pump. He was wondering why the primary wire on the pump side was burning up. *facepalms*

#3 rcm

rcm

rcm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!
    Motorcycles,dirt bikes,Old school
    muscle cars.

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:00 PM

Looks like a good start.Fuel system,tune up,fluids changed and see what you got.The rest will rear its ugly head as you go.

Edited by rcm, 26 November 2016 - 10:00 PM.

#4 NikoFab

NikoFab

Go Blue Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,712 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:44 AM

Welcome aboard...um...er...back again...I guess.

:blink:

#5 theJohn1320

theJohn1320

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:56 AM

View PostNikoFab, on 27 November 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

Welcome aboard...um...er...back again...I guess.

:blink:

Lol, thank you. 1st time owning, so it just got real... as they say

#6 theJohn1320

theJohn1320

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:57 AM

By the way . i'm in Central Virginia, looking for other owners in VA to be in contact with..

#7 NikoFab

NikoFab

Go Blue Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,712 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PosttheJohn1320, on 27 November 2016 - 09:57 AM, said:

By the way . i'm in Central Virginia, looking for other owners in VA to be in contact with..

Born in Leesburg, but now live in Texas lol.

Virginia Military Institute - Class of '94

#8 theJohn1320

theJohn1320

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:35 PM

View PostNikoFab, on 27 November 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

Born in Leesburg, but now live in Texas lol.

Virginia Military Institute - Class of '94

We must have swapped! Lived just South of Dallas from ~88  to 1995. Moved here from Colorado in 2001.

#9 NikoFab

NikoFab

Go Blue Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,712 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PosttheJohn1320, on 27 November 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

We must have swapped! Lived just South of Dallas from ~88  to 1995. Moved here from Colorado in 2001.

Lol.  In Houston now but lived in Dallas for nine years.  Where were you, Corsicana?

#10 NikoFab

NikoFab

Go Blue Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,712 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PosttheJohn1320, on 27 November 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

Love Colorado...I'm up there nearly every year.  Have friends in Littleton and Flat Rock, and a buddy who manages a resort in Breck.

#11 theJohn1320

theJohn1320

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

View PostNikoFab, on 27 November 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

Love Colorado...I'm up there nearly every year.  Have friends in Littleton and Flat Rock, and a buddy who manages a resort in Breck.
We used to drive through Littleton. Lived in Arvada Till folks moved us to Texas.  In Texas we Lived in Duncanville. After I got out of AF service, we had all moved back to Colorado to the west side, Grand Junction

Edited by theJohn1320, 27 November 2016 - 04:21 PM.

#12 NikoFab

NikoFab

Go Blue Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,712 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

View PosttheJohn1320, on 27 November 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

We used to drive through Littleton. Lived in Arvada Till folks moved us to Texas.  In Texas we Lived in Duncanville. After I got out of AF service, we had all moved back to Colorado to the west side, Grand Junction

Oh wow....waaaaaayyyyy west side.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users