Trying to pick a v8 swap.

89andBlue

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some input on which route I should go with my v8 swap, and maybe get some pointers in the right direction as to where I should begin.

Also what would be good choices of transmissions and rear ends for the following.

I'm debating on either a turbo Chevy 5.7, a turbo 5.0 or, if I could get my hands on one, a turbo hemi from an 06 police charger or something.

But tell me what you guys think, and if there's another good engine I missed, pass it my way.

Edited by 89andBlue

Ive ridden in Scotty Gibb's n/a 1uz w58 car.....wow is all I can say. Looks like it was in there from the factory, It is docile enough for cruising, but gets up and goes like crazy when he nailed it. I can only imagine it boosted, however I would recommend using the r154 instead of the w58 if you boost it.

Plus...its an all aluminum 4.0 v-8, so it doesn't make the car nose heavy like other big cid swaps.

BC_99

my vote is with 1uz, been in a 1uz turbo car before (not a conquest), and it was awesome! Tons of power, available, inexpensive, and as bc said lightweight. You'll probably spend more money on the turbo aspect of the build than the engine, and the r154 would probably be necessary. Unfortunately r154's are getting expensive!

I'm a huge fan of the 1UZ motor and sound.

The Ford 302 is one of the easier swaps from my understanding. I have a black Conquest with the 302 in it that is turbocharged. Downside to the 302 is the stock short blocks are known for splitting right in half at a certain power level (400-500+hp). Mines mated to a T-5 transmission and it fits very well into the tunnel.

Well, if budget is not a concern... Mopar makes (or at least used to make) a 100% polished aluminum supercharged 500ci Hemi. Literally everything. Block, heads, supercharger, etc. Good for a claimed 900hp, and drop in ready. When I used to be able to get them, they sold for around $60,000. That was about 4 years ago. Be an interesting swap as well.

I mean, we all have 60k to drop a motor in a 25 year old car thats worth about 5k, right? XD

Well, if budget is not a concern... Mopar makes (or at least used to make) a 100% polished aluminum supercharged 500ci Hemi. Literally everything. Block, heads, supercharger, etc. Good for a claimed 900hp, and drop in ready. When I used to be able to get them, they sold for around $60,000. That was about 4 years ago. Be an interesting swap as well.

I mean, we all have 60k to drop a motor in a 25 year old car thats worth about 5k, right? XD

That's the most expensive 900hp I've ever seen

That's the most expensive 900hp I've ever seen

5K is a bit generous....

Yea, the motor was just a complete obscenity for someone who had way too much money to drop in their show car. Sure looked pretty, though. I think I price shopped it once and found it available for 36k on the internet somewhere... Which isn't much better.

The motor I'd really like to see someone put in one of these cars and race is the Radical RPC 3.2 v8. I looked into it with Radical and it was just way too much money to put a straight up race motor in a street car. Easily my favorite v8 though.

I love my LS1, but if I could've afforded it at the time I would have loved to put a 6.1 hemi in. I don't regret my choice at all as its reliable power for cheap and I've had a blast the past 3 years I've had it in. But the LS based motors now are kinda old news and people are getting tired of seeing them in everything. As for rear ends, depends on how much power. I'm still running my stock IRS setup and launch hard with e/t streets. I'm putting down a mild 365whp Edited by LSQuest88

CinQuest was one of the first turbo'd LS swaps that I know of. He ran it making upwards of 500hp top the rear tires for a few years before he finally killed the stock rear. I think he pumped it up even more after he fabbed in a viper rear diff. Here is the only link I found for his car on this site. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=122529#entry1191057

Heres a link for a write up I found on Google. http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/turp-0808-1987-chrysler-conquest/

You should be fine with the stock rear for a while.

BC_99