Do's & Don't's Of Torque Wrenches

Starfighterpilot

Since I joined this web site I have been amazed at SOME of the questions some of the new members ask.

MANY times it's about a problem that just takes basic automotive knowledge that's not unique to the Starquests to resolve.

I have always wondered if these people are working on their Starquests with that amount of limited knowledge, how are they reassembling their cars, and what are they using to tighten the fasteners with.

I'll bet 9 times out of 10 that they are just wrenching the fasteners tight with no idea what a torque wrench is or what the correct torque value is.

I think that it must be stated, starting off, that in most cases, you must have the Starquest shop manual at hand, and use it, when you are working on the Starquest under the hood. Can somebody provide the link to it for down loading or viewing?

So I'm throwing this thread open for:

A) the appropriate torque wrench type and size to use on our Starquests.

B) how often the torque wrench calibration should be checked.

C) how to store the torque wrench after use.

D) Effects of using a socket wrench extension or swivel with the torque wrench on the final torque value.

E) Specific fasteners on the Starquests with must be torqued to a specific value and evenly.

F) How to torque multiple fasteners when installing a component on or in an engine.

G) Any torque wrench stories that you would care to relate to give an example of the do's and don'ts of using a torque wrench.

KEN

So I'm throwing this thread open for:

A) the appropriate torque wrench type and size to use on our Starquests.

B) how often the torque wrench calibration should be checked.

C) how to store the torque wrench after use.

D) Effects of using a socket wrench extension or swivel with the torque wrench on the final torque value.

E) Specific fasteners on the Starquests with must be torqued to a specific value and evenly.

F) How to torque multiple fasteners when installing a component on or in an engine.

G) Any torque wrench stories that you would care to relate to give an example of the do's and don'ts of using a torque wrench.

KEN

I have 2 torque wrenches.

A snap-On http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/18400/18308.JPG

Similar to this but 1/2" drive. and a 3/8" Proto click style.

I'd like to get the matching Snap-On 3/8" to my 1/2". but my Proto works fine.

I don't use my wrenches all the time. Snap-On has a reccomended recalibration time and that's what I would use if I did. I friend of mine in Chicago has a calibration setup if I need to check it.

I puy my wrenches back in thier plastic cases normally. The proto, I bring the tension down, but the Snap-On does not need to because of the design.

I try not to use any extensions or swivels as it does affect the final torque. If you have to use an extension, try to grip the end and keep it in line

About the only things I actually torque are the rods, mains and head studs. If I was a beginner, I'd do the front cover and other bolts I could reach.

Follow the manual when there is a required torque sequence.

I bought my 1/2" Snap-On off eBay. It was supposedly recalibrated recently.

My guess is it took a hit somewhere as it was way way off. I was showing it to my friend in Chicago when I first got it. 80 ft-lbs was like 150 :shock: I had a Snap-On guy take it and send it off. I guess something was amiss inside and they ended up replacing some part inside. If you buy a use torque wrench, have it checked out a recalibrated.

I like old school pointer and scale kinds.

As long as their calibrated and you know how to use them they work well.

Break aways I have found to vary considerably and from brand to brand and over time.

Also don't use a torque wrench to loosen.... unless it is made to loosen.

I think that it must be stated, starting off, that in most cases, you must have the Starquest shop manual at hand, and use it, when you are working on the Starquest under the hood. Can somebody provide the link to it for down loading or viewing?

KEN

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/ser...ervice_nav.html :wink:

Hmmmm, I have a Sears bar/scale 1/2". I just exchange it every other year or so for a new one and I store it in a drawer, all by it's lonesome so it doesn't get whacked. I honestly only use it for heads, rodcaps, flywheel and pressure plate bolts, mostly on surfaces with low tolerances or aluminum. Brakes parts, mounts, brackets, valvecovers etc. I just crank on em till they are tight. That and locktite has always served me well. I snapped a pressure plate bolt once when I was in a rush and decided to torque it until it stopped, it didn't.

i do. iw ork at seras and we have to torque every single wheel. i got used to doing it so now i do it all the time to my personal cars.

i do. iw ork at seras and we have to torque every single wheel. i got used to doing it so now i do it all the time to my personal cars.

Liability issue.

A friend of mine had some tires done at Sears and one wheel almost fell off on his way home. Oops.

I suppose the torque thing is to avoid law suits.

Extensions DEFINATELY affect the final torque value of whatever you're tightening. Extensions have a considerable amount more play and also allow slop in the length of the bar itself. Just because youre turning the wrench doesn't mean the extension turns the same amount. And a swivel? I NEVER use a swivel on a torque application.

I also prefer the standard bar and scale wrench to the breakaway type. As for cal specs... Depends on the wrench, manufacturer, and application. Personally I like to have mine calibrated shortly before I use them as I likely haven't used it for quite a few months. Otherwise I'd say for the most part once a year. Again some need it every 6 months, some not till 2 years.

On the same note as the extension I don't recommend using cheater bars on a torque wrench as these will also affect the final torque and make the guage on the wrench give an inaccurate reading.

Hey..Does anyone torque their wheel nuts?

I don't

Enjoy your warped rotors.

No.....I don't get warped rotors, especially after they have been cryogenic treated.

Also, I've been working on cars consistantly for over 25 years.

I can feel when I've tightened a bolt the same as the last one.

Probably not perfectly, but close enough.

I'd rather torque mine than have some jacka$$ at a tire shop shoot em on with a impact. I ask for them to be torqued and stand outside and watch to make sure. My red quest has 5 broke studs on the back from "tire technicians" using an impact.

Rule of thumb for extensions etc.

Add 2.5lbs for every three inches of extensions.

Add 3lbs for adaptors.

Kane