• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xsubguy

Xsubguy

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:02 PM

Sorry to ask, but I just bought my latest project a 87 TSI with 38kmiles. Complete untouched stock car. i am currently working overseas on a ship and don't have access to the car for a couple measurements.  I am looking to design a custom dual 10 sub-woofer encl.   I am looking for the measurement between the narrowest point between the rear strut towers and  the distance from the rear seat to where the spare tire cover begins. I am hoping to get he design completed and material bought before I get home on leave.

thanks for the help

#2 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 03 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

If you are retaining the rear interior pieces, you have 29” wide. The spare tire board goes all the way to the seats though. You could cut it and put a piano hinge a little further towards the rear, but my suggestion is just make the box as deep as you need for the subs you choose and just make it easily removable in the event you need to use the spare. The height of the box is a limiting factor as well, if you want to retain the hatch cover piece. You can fit 10 1/4” tall before hitting the metal bracing on it. I found that one good 10” with proper RMS power from an amp is plenty for big bass.
Posted Image

#3 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:40 PM

11 1/4 is max height. Just modified my store bought box
Posted Image

#4 Xsubguy

Xsubguy

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:38 AM

Perfect, thank you.  I am working on a ship right now I just bought my 87 sight unseen. I am hopeful with only 38K miles I have a good starting place with out someones else's problems. . I have not set in one for over 24 years I just could not remember the details.  Now I can spend some time obsessing over the details  thanks much

#5 Kevnic

Kevnic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:19 PM

Did you buy the one in Massachusetts?

#6 Xsubguy

Xsubguy

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:37 AM

Yes, I had a friend who knows 80/90s turbo cars fly up and take a good look at it. I feel like it should be very solid starting place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users