• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Interests:Wrenching,Fishing,Bicycling, and collecting old school vinyl!!
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:16 PM

I'm wanting to get some input on the Neo. I have had the Super-Afc installed and loved it, but unfortunately it was stolen a couple weeks ago. The wires for the S-afc are still wired into the factory harness as they just cut all the wires at once. My question is, how does the Neo compare to the original Super-afc and are they wired exactly the same with the same color wires form the neo matching the Super-afc wires?
THe neo looks like it has a few more options that the previous one I had. I'd just like a little input from some people who has used these> Thanks !! ^_^

#2 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

Never personally used one.But whenever you wanna wire something in you need to 100% know what it controls or does.To just go w wire color is asking for trouble.Last thing you want when you go to adjust your afrs is that your turn signals and headlights start flashing.lol

Edited by croquest87, 25 January 2019 - 04:48 PM.

#3 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:29 PM

I'm well aware of that, but if the neo wires in the same as the original Super afc I'm covered as the car is already wired for that unit and my wipers did't turn on when I rev'd the motor or adjusted anything in the rpm's.

#4 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,807 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

Don't quote me but I believe they wire in the same, the NEO just has more functions.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#5 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 08:48 PM

Thank you. I've been trying to find wiring diagrams online but still haven't been able to locate anything. I'm gonna keep searching before I make the purchase. THanks again

#6 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:26 AM

sucks that they stole your SAFC. I fkn hate thieves. Scumbags

I've never seen a more effective & valuable tuning gadget.... resulting in some good running fast street cars
SAFC extremely popular around here too.

I'd think they stopped making it, because of newer 'better' alternatives, for the same money ? Dunno
What about AEM FIC ? ..or Microsquirt ? or..
Wouldn't they be far more versatile + install out of view = theft proof. etc ?
Downside is a laptop and learning curve, but tune & potential should be on another level

#7 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:35 AM

The car wasn't even running. It had been sitting in the same spot for 4 years, in my driveway and hid behind a wall. I never remember it being this hard to locate one...I've found several online but they want more for them now than what I spent 10 years ago

#8 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:17 PM

I ran one with my 88/89 ecu and Maf T. It was ok. Helps fine tune it a little more but like you said for the price they want now it really isnt worth it. You would be better off going to a stand alone system.

#9 Ipjkcu

Ipjkcu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:38 PM

Ecumaster det3

It's an interesting little device I am about to get mine in mail, mostly for my 1jz starion but I might tinker with it on the 86 😊

#10 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

View PostIpjkcu, on 26 January 2019 - 02:38 PM, said:

Ecumaster det3

It's an interesting little device I am about to get mine in mail, mostly for my 1jz starion but I might tinker with it on the 86 😊

You can get a MS system for just a little more without having to piggy back off the stock ECU

#11 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

I scored an original yesterday through many long minutes of waiting to bid at the right time. I'm just hoping the dude sends it out and doesn't issue a refund since it was cheaper than they originally go for.. Fingers crossed!!!

#12 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:23 PM

I got everything hooked up and adjusted pretty close so far today but I've forgotten what the Graph Scale does. There is 3 options in there,PR:,Ne:, and Cr:
Can someone remind me what these are?

#13 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

View PostTurbo Cary, on 28 January 2019 - 01:37 PM, said:

You can get a MS system for just a little more without having to piggy back off the stock ECU
I've tried reading into this more, but I was under the impression that it was used more on a multiport than the stock 2 injector set-up.
I don't really understand what the difference is if going to that with the stock fuel and intake set-up. Could someone please elaborate on this?

#14 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:56 PM

http://www.starquest...opic=137426&hl=
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

#15 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:23 AM

MS is a great 'building block', especially for our unique TBI/2 injector to MPI/4 injector transition
Button detailed exactly that in his MS diy thread on MPI forum

Huge MS benefits on TBI is:
getting rid of/replacing 30 year old electronics.... using a handful of new sensors
removing MAF restriction from inlet tract, use MAP sensor instead
Improved reliability plus drivability thru precise ignition timing control (except fuel-only setups)

Resident SQ guru is an invaluable asset.... get up n running with a 'base map', then learn tuning
Stock system has served us very well imo, but standalone/better tunability is next level

#16 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,041 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:59 AM

I'll also recommend the Megasquirt route. It has a bit of learning curve but there is such a vast amount of information and people willing to help that you really shouldn't get stuck unless you aren't willing to put in the effort. Once you have a megasquirt in your car you can put just about any engine in your car you like, it just takes a reconfigure.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#17 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 02:39 PM

I've been really confused on it all to be completely honest. I didn't realize you could run the Microsquirt  or Megasquirt on the stock 2 injector set-up until recently,I  was always under the impression that in order to use it you would have to go MPI. I'm still trying to learn and read what I can when I have the opportunity, but it's still a bit overwhelming since I've never fooled with either of the two.  I'd love to be able to plug a laptop in and watch everything and tune it from there instead of using the the Safc. I'd still like to find a detailed write-up of everything that's removed and replaced when going to Micro or Mega squirt. I certainly appreciate the info

#18 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:20 PM

Piggybacks like a maf-t & safc can only get you so far. Did you have to use a potentiometer to get your safc to work correctly?
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Posted Image

#19 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:52 AM

I followed the directions that was on here years ago. It never mentioned a potentiometer, I went back and looked again this morning thinking I might have missed it but it was no where in the original write-up. I've never heard of a potentiometer. What exactly does it do and is there a write-up on here about how to install one?  

#20 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:08 AM

http://www.starquest...showtopic=28071
This is the Instructions I followed both times I installed this. I found on here where people recommend using the potentiometer to get the tach signal.
I'm getting a tach signal that reads when reving or anytime there is change in the throttle. Are saying that one of these are needed to get a accurate signal for display on the Safc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users