Feeler: Leather shift boots

Jeremy_C

I'm looking to create replacement leather shift boots with new retention rings. I'll be basing the retention rings off a stock 88/89 setup and will also be using the leather pattern from the same boot. This will differ from the only real option out there as it will use the correct mounting ring instead of the accordion ring which sits below the console (the plastic ring from the leather snaps through top and bottom).

What I'm looking for to figure out my starting point:

Would you be interested at a cost of approximately $40-50 (based on initial workup of parts & labor, may increase or decrease depending on factors such as how many I get and actual manufacturing)

What kind of options (if any) would you like to see? I'm already thinking about alternate panel coloring (blue/black, red/black, whatever floats your boat) and/or colored stitching since those seem to be a given for most people.

Prefer stock height boots or option for short shifter boot as well?

Again, this is just a feeler for the moment. The retention ring is going to be the costly part to make (can't buy these anymore), so I need to get an idea before I manufacture them. I will be working with the manufacturer to get solid numbers on the reverse engineering and productions costs in a week or two, then I'll have a better idea of just what this will cost.

Thoughts?

If be interested in one or two for sure. I wouldn't need the retention ring, so maybe an option to leave it loose at the bottom to finish ourselves. I'd probably go full black with colored stitching and maybe a little shorter than stock. Do eeeet!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I received the leather boot today. The boot itself is not the factory one so I will have to work on mocking up one that is correct (this one is stapled into the inside of the ring instead of wrapping around it like stock.

I'm also sending the dimensions off so I can get the cost on building them. Moving ahead! :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...