Digital Dash Odometer and Speedo Not Working

jonboyb

My cousin's 85's digital odometer and speedometer has not worked since we picked the car up. I assumed the sensor was bad, misinstalled, or just not plugged in at the transmission but finally had time to go through it and everything appears hooked up correctly. They both light up in the gauge cluster and the speedo flashes like "288" or something like that on startup before going to "000" so I assume the cluster is fully functional. I do not have a manual outlining the digital dash so no real idea how to troubleshoot.

Is there a way to test the transmission sensor? Like pulling it from the tranny (while leaving the wiring hooked up for power) and then measure some type of static resistance/voltage and then maybe spin it some way (build a little drill attachment or something) and confirm functionality???

I'm almost sure it's the sensor so I have an ad in the "Wanted" section but any advice would be appreciated.

I think "Indiana" probably knows how to do this? I don't wanted to speak for him, but he has several digital starquests and knows most of the error codes I think. Maybe he will comment on this subject. Edited by mrvwbug

Yea.....was hoping he, Ulrich, or one of the other digital guys might have the info. Hopefully SOTTY has a spare sensor on the way soon as everything points to the sending unit.....but trial and error are all I have to go on at this point :(

• 2 weeks later...

Your in Luck I want searching his post for coolant temp pictures and had the window open then saw your post.

I happen to have the link handy.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121765

(better late than never?)

Edited by Metric-man

• 2 months later...
Hey did you ever get this problem fixed? my speedometer and everything else works just not my odometer. Even the trip gauge will work correctly but for some reason when i turn it back to the all around miles it just sits at a constant 104,000. it never moves.

No....haven't fixed it. Still haven't gotten hold of a manual for the digital guage cluster. I have no idea what Metric-Man posted that link to show me.....looks like a plain ol mechanical gauge specifications to me.