Megasquirt questions? How to set-up? Just ask! Diagram post!

Mod's Anyway we can make this sticky. I have several people been starting asking me questions about the Megasquirt system. So I could leave the answers on here so I don't get multiple questions being asked. Thanks

Hey guys I thought I start this up because I can prove you guys that Megasquirt can be the best EMS to use. Why?! Its cheap, alot of online info, and I got the perfect set-up and I know quite abit about MS system now. I've been reading alot and pretty much have it all memerized. I planed on making like a wiring harness so all you would have to do is connect and go. I don't just crimp the pins on i solder all of them on so i know that they will not come apart. But this will include all the relays clips wiring, sensor, and fuse box. If i get alot of interest I can do it right away. Ask me any questions on here.

Jeff

found the right adapter MSD TECHS say this will work to convert to square signal to MS its under $80 better than having to buy msd6a then not use the coil wires right? so here it is

MSD PN 8509 you can get it at summitracing.com if you find anywhere else cheaper let me know so i can update it here[/b]

http://www.geocities.com/ps2_69/wiring_diagram_MSII30v.bmp

Gotta admit, at a glance 90% Megasquirt threads read mega-problems more than anything. Rarely will you ever read of a success story, where you see someone actually run trouble-free and posting solid performance numbers.

Sure its got the price advantage, but u pay with the "learning curve" time, and frustrations... and thats only to get it running it seems.

Not sure how many would want to solder their own unit together, but when I'm hundreds of miles out in the middle of nowhere, I couldn't help thinking about 'my soldering'. Preassembled for folks like me.

I saved a link of a detailed one done to a 7M supra (I have to go back and read thru properly).

It would be nice to see an actual writeup of a successful g54 install, especially using the stock distributor - either fuel-only with the distributor functioning normally, or locked and some kind of ignitor.

Cash,

Have you posted details on your MS setup ?

Is this not what fuelinjectionpro brought to us ? If so, what are the differences, downsides, etc..

There is definitely a market here for the lower cost mpi installs.

Just for comparison, I've witnessed a couple $640 SDS fuel-only systems set up and run/drive in minutes literally. Both used the distributor to trigger an MSD 6A, which provided tach signal for the SDS.

Tuning is another phase altogether. A running mesquirted vehicle is the first major hurdle.... or is it ?

okay I only got the msd 6a to work with ms for only trigger purpose but I am contacting msd to see if i can find a converter that I can use to give a signal to MS from the dist with something like a tach adapter unless someone has alrighty, speak up.

As a suscess story, go to 1320videos.com and look at boostedstang and that 1000HP truck. The reason we don't see any suscess outta our cars is because we do have a weird dist. But I got my msd 6a now and going home tonite and going to have it drivin by tomorrow or monday. I'll keep posted.

This setup is no where near to be FIP. I did not like the setup because it gave me problems LEFT AND RIGHT!!. I got MSII on my bro stealth and been driving it for 2 months without any problems. FIP system isn't a part of MS at all. I have opened it up and the circuit board is printed with their name and its totally different setup than MS. With FIP dist mod, its the dumbest idea I ever saw. Y? Because again I had major kick back with the same set up with the caravan module then used the locked down dist with the stock pick up and worked flawless.

I will make a wiring diagram for all of you guys how to hook it up.

Okay people finally completed my motor and had lil issue why one time it runs perfect then another time it doesn't. Well I just found out it was a low voltage battery so I put the charger on then I didn't have my gauge cluster in yet so while charging I put it in and started the car. Started right up no problem then it still ran shity. Then saw that it had no charge. But it did. Then i played around with the alt wiring that I moded and started to work again but it was arcing too. So That was my problem fixed that and reved up awesome. So i went to take the car for a spin around the block and of course this ain't even been tuned in for driving just at idling. I decided to give it just a lil and it did jerk which will happen if you don't tune it in. Then it went up to 2 psi then let off and i was like holy s*** my BIG turbo gonna be making some nice #'s this year so keep an eye out on this. I will eventually state my turbo but after i get some #'s going.

to make this thread a worthwhile 'sticky', I guess when folks have the g54 actually up and running MS, if they do a writeup with the different sorts of triggers they used, that'd eliminate alt of the guesswork.

cash,

I'm still a bit cloudy on your view/problems with FIPs' system, particularly the caravan module mod?

On the feedback thread on the BS forums, its obviously working for a number of 'happy campers'. Impressive dynos and good running cars too. Looks like it gets the job done pretty effectively, eh.

on a sidenote; is that T-70 turbo still working out for you ?

to make this thread a worthwhile 'sticky', I guess when folks have the g54 actually up and running MS, if they do a writeup with the different sorts of triggers they used, that'd eliminate alt of the guesswork.

cash,

I'm still a bit cloudy on your view/problems with FIPs' system, particularly the caravan module mod?

On the feedback thread on the BS forums, its obviously working for a number of 'happy campers'. Impressive dynos and good running cars too. Looks like it gets the job done pretty effectively, eh.

on a sidenote; is that T-70 turbo still working out for you ?

My idea is probably the easiest way to hook up a dist. I had a member asked me through a pm because he was so fed up with MS because he can not get any signal then showed him how I got mine to work and did it right away the next day in the morning and got it to start the first time. The reason y I didn't use the caravan module is that 1: makes my car run like s***., 2: have a hard time starting it., 3: it kicks back my motor alot. There's alot more people that has problem with FIP then you think. I probably have close to 15 people that asked me issue with FIP stuff. And there is no info of them doing a dyno run. So who knows if they have 500, 200, 1000Hp conquest/starion.

I don't have the T70 anymore I have a bigger one not to be anounced yet. The T70 worked awesome so i recommend for people with MPI to use T70. I had the XSPOWER brand and never had a problem with any of their products.

how about links to maps, because installing is the easy part, its tuning I wanna see. The more maps we get, the less dyno time for fine tuning we need :)

I have a ms1 2.2 with edis im probably going to use here in a week or 2, once I get my engine broke in, then do my magna conversion. I'm gonna be running 577cc injectors, and a stock turbo for now. Eventually the car will see an 18g or something bigger.

And lets not get it confused, ms is definately not the best ems, its just the cheapest. Trust me, there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better alternatives, they just cost more. For the price, I think it is a great setup though. Hell, I only paid 130 for my ms which was even modded to a 4 bar map sensor :)

Anyways, back to the topic, im thinking about jsut going with a magna distributor for signal instead of the hassle of mounting a damn crank trigger. It would be nice to have a clean engine, but god it seems so much easier to use a aus dizzy.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, My start sucks. It really sucks and I'm about at my wits end because of it. I've added in more fuel (150%) and it still sucks and it left me stranded for a while the other day because it decided not to start after I got gas. Even if I do get it to start I have to give it gas for a little bit so it doesn't die. Please help me. After it warms up it is fine.

Ok, My start sucks. It really sucks and I'm about at my wits end because of it. I've added in more fuel (150%) and it still sucks and it left me stranded for a while the other day because it decided not to start after I got gas. Even if I do get it to start I have to give it gas for a little bit so it doesn't die. Please help me. After it warms up it is fine.

You still using that hurricane system right? I've tried everything even in 100 degrees weather and has problems. So I can't really help ya here. FIP system not even close to being a MS system what did you all change on it? What does your Map read?

as far as i know mines working good now even on startup the only thing that i need to work on is the idle up w/c im in the process of putting together like a manual choke but in a sense that it just pulls the accelerator with a cable so you don't have to put your foot on the pedal at startup. I used to have bad startups and coz i did not use Ed's settings the first time but after exhaustive tinkering i said you know what lemme use the stock settings and it ran much smoother still having shtty stratups then I decided to dump all my old fuel coz just think about it your car musthave been sittin for 6mo or more and fuel sittin that long will just confuse things so after gettin fresh 92 oct it made a world difference I never ran my car everyday since the conversion coz of the same frustrations other people are getting w/c i understand especially spending almost 3beans for it. just took my time putting it together neatly and overchecking everything.. JUST KEEP DRIVING IT somehow it has a learning curve it's wierd but everyday when I start her up it's just like stock then again idle is still low w/c is tolerable...now i was able to run 15psi on my t60 after 3800rpms just have the hoses really secure and if you can apply a little gasket maker to help secure and not pop out w/c happened a few occasions on mine.

PS:I had this setup running for a year now since May 05... Yes it still needs work like getting it to a tuner but getting it running reliably first is the key.

GOOD LUCK!!

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
PS:I had this setup running for a year now since May 05... Yes it still needs work like getting it to a tuner but getting it running reliably first is the key.

GOOD LUCK!!

Joe

if you can drive it, drive it to a shop to be tuned. that will fix you're reliability problem.

• 2 weeks later...
im getting ready to do a motor swap and i was going to do the megasquirt, i would like to know where the cheapest place to get it is? its going to be a new experience for me...

depends what you all want. there's cheapest place for certain ones. Are interested in building one or get one assembled. controlling fuel or spark or both, what do you all want.

you can save about $100-200 build it yourself or pay about 400 for MSII (fuel and spark) 3.0 which I have or about $325 for the MSnS (fuel and spark). But they have more options on MSnS. But you would having to do that. you can get EGT datalog, dual wideband, water injection control, launch control, shift light, alot more too. So I'm gonna get the MSnS later on. go to protocar.net they have assemble kit for a resonable price. and go to rs-autosport.com for better wiring. It seems they have the best wiring kit plus the cheapest too. I see you doing a motorswap what motor are you doing I can help you out with adapters too.

For my MSNS-e on a V3 board with wirng, sensors, relay board and relay board cable, it was around $600 assembled and shipped. that included all sensor bungs and sensor connectors as well.

The downfall to MSNS-e is its a slower CPU. so less clock cycles per second. Thus, it cant respond as fast as MSII. But it makes up for it with more options.

Theres some food for thought.

-Jay

you can save about $100-200 build it yourself or pay about 400 for MSII (fuel and spark) 3.0 which I have or about $325 for the MSnS (fuel and spark). But they have more options on MSnS. But you would having to do that. you can get EGT datalog, dual wideband, water injection control, launch control, shift light, alot more too. So I'm gonna get the MSnS later on. go to protocar.net they have assemble kit for a resonable price. and go to rs-autosport.com for better wiring. It seems they have the best wiring kit plus the cheapest too. I see you doing a motorswap what motor are you doing I can help you out with adapters too.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47452

his motor is what im swapping

• Like 1

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47452

his motor is what im swapping

Sorry about a long reply back. Alright Whats your goal of HP and TQ you want? Btw, are you going to be using the stock dist.? If so, don't use the caravan ignition module because it's had problems in the past for me. So I use every stock component in the dist but its a lock down. Its just like FIP but don't use the caravan module. If you need me to do it for ya I can do it no problem if you just send it to me. It only takes me about 10mins to do. You will need MSD PN 8509 for the trigger for the stock dist to the megasquirt. Then would get a cheap MSD 6a doesn't have to be new as long as it works. Btw, you can use the tach output on the msd 6a for using a tach. Works really good. Haven't test the stock tach but will soon. I can send you my settings to get you started.

whats the 6A for ? I thought the MSD 8509 eliminated the need for it

Locked down stock dist----> MSD PN 8509 -----> MSII -----> msd 6a -----> coil

Thats y you need it. I was using the msd 6a for triggering MS because I've tried using the caravan module and tried the HEI-7 module but for HEI-7 module its been done on this car I saw a write up on the MS forum. MSD 6a is suppose to control dwell on its own I had problems with my car missing thats y. Until someone finds out how to work it which I will try one more time see if I can get everything to work right. Btw, Msd 6a will help give better sparks anyway

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...