Going wider...

Convette

Lol. It's going to be a struggle cause I'm just learning how to use a tig welder. And well.. I suck at it. I'm hoping to be able to get the surface quality that I want with the steel. The rears will be done too, I want to run 325s out back.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/johnboy9788/IMAG0925.jpg

It blows that it's 35 degrees outside. I plan to put a full day in on the car tomorrow. Gotta put my spacers on and get some other tires mounted to see what it's going to look like. No more tire stretch for me. Going more "race car" next year... Lol More pics to follow.

Edited by Convette

Take your time with the welder and if you have some extra scraps of metal, play with the temp settings to find the "sweet spot" that burns in good without burning through. You should be able to melt the 2 pieces of metal together without adding filler rod if your settings are close. Add the filler rod to get the weld just a little taller than level withthe surface you are welding. Tig, just takes tons of time and practice. When you weld on the car, go slow skip around and cool it down often to decrease warpage. You may also try different sizes and grades of tungsten and also dfferent sizes and types of filler rod. I like "super missile" for almost all the steel I weld, because it is a high strength stainless type rod but is good for joining slightly dis-similar grades of steel. Its looking good man.

BC_99

Yeah I've been practicing for about a week now... (not much at all) it's a totally different animal from mig. I'm going to grind this off tomorrow and try to get my seams perfect before hand, I know it will make a huge difference. I'm using these spare fenders to practice on, if I can get them right I'll stick with them, if not I'll cut the red ones up. Thanks for the tips BC I really appreciate it. I feel like every time I read up on it, it gets easier.

315s would be sick.. Im gonna have to get some wider outer lips for the front rims. They are only 9.5 wide. You got any pics of your fronts?

no pics yet. ill post some in the showroom tomorrow. Its got the meaty flush look, im not going to lie. But that extra tire up front helped out oh so much. i went from tucking an inch of tire in the front to about a 1/4 gap. I'll be able to smash on back roads now, which is really what ive been missing.

I still don't understand how you fit 265's on a 9 -2mm with -3* camber... I swapped my rears up front one day for giggles, 245/50 on a 9+0 with -2.5*...couldn't even lower the lift all the way cause the fender was sitting on top of the tire :(

I'm guessing it has to do with the tall sidewalls?

-Justin

iam still waiting for u to see what u are going to do when u will need to open the door.........the hinge is the toughest part to modify yet............we haven't spoken for a while now ...iam running 295-30-18 with a lot of room fo 325 in a 18x11,5 with -13 offset plus a 35 mm spacer rear and in front very very very stretched 265-35 in a 18x10,5 -19 offset with no spacer!the rack will give u more lock but the inside of the tire is still going to hit in the frame rail or the tension rods no matter how much u modify your lower arms.....good luck my friend!U have a lot of meassurment to do........

iam still waiting for u to see what u are going to do when u will need to open the door.........the hinge is the toughest part to modify yet............

By moving part of the fender out and the rest of it bing in stock location, he'll have plenty of door clearance- more than OEM clearanc for sure.

As usual, you're doing some killer work. I look forward to seing the finished product!