2JZ Starion, or 2JZ 240sx....?

Maine_TSI

Ive always been impressed with the 2JZ motor,

and started looking into/ reseraching putting one in a 240sx about 4 years back now. Ended up buying a very clean/ nice 95 240sx a year or so after..

didnt have the $$ really to do the JZ yet, came across a Conquest, had to have it. Daily drove the 240, modded the TSI.. TSI is a great bang for your buck sports car if you are happy with less then 300 hp

the 2jz bug never went away, came accross the cleanest 97 240sx just about a year ago. And had to have that.. soo 87 tsi, 95 240sx, 97 240sx, and still no $$ for JZ -

somewhere in the mix of all this - maybe 2 years back, i discover there is an 88 starion TSI in storage nearby that started smoking bad,and was put into storage almost 8 years ago. The owner moved like

1200 + miles away. and has been making payments ever since..

hmmm would be a nice 2jz project..!

eventually i cold call the person, and see if they will sell it to me for cheap.. been in communication for a long time now, they are attached to the car etc.. keep telling me they arent sure if they can let it go - but i think i may have just convinced them to let me buy it for like 800 - 1000 bucks. ( i told them the 2jz plans i have for the car, and i think they like the idea of me taking the car to the next level.

Anyhoo, Started aquiring parts for the JZ swap (so far not vehicle specific) about a year back. Have the tranny, motor, single turbo kit, water meth injection kit, waterpump, hks fuel cut, cam gears, 4in think intercooler - and probably a bunch of other stuff i cant think of...

I am getting to the point where i really gotta chose a platform

There are pros and cons to each, so im gonna list some i can think of, and im hoping some of you that have a lot of experience with the quest can add to that to help me decide

Starion 2jz swap

Pros

Deffinately going to be cheaper (to start with at least) if i get the car that is near mint that doesnt run im guessing after sitting so long for 800 - 1000 bucks vs 5-6K for my 97 240sx.

Quests are just so sexy, no need for body kit

5 lug hubs already

wide wheels stock, probably good options for even wider aftermarket since the body is already so wide

Stock is already LSD

Cons

Other then the guys in Austrailia, Smog, and the guy currently attemping this swap, there is little to no information on it.

No swap kit avialable

will need to cut the firewall for proper balance and fit

way more work and taking appart the dash etc..

Can the VLSD handle the power (ill be at least at 500 whp)

If not, what LSD options are there if any?

Is there coilovers or any aftermarket suspension that is up to the task of heavier motor with 500 + HP

Stock brakes definatley not up to the task

Limited aftermarket support overall for other items that i might want

How much longer will normal components be availalbe.. like when i need balljoints tierods and the like?

more likely to be pulled over in the quest as it looks like a racecar.

240sx 2JZ Swap

Pros

There are now several places doing the 2JZ 240 swap for like 8000 - 10,000 turnkey - all parts and labor provided.

i have spoken with several shops, and i can basicaly show up with my parts and my car and 5000 and be good to go. (im all for working on my stuff, but having you car ready in a week or so is pretty nice)

There are a few DIYS swap kits, and there is lots of info availalbe on doing it - Very tempting

240SX has a zillion parts in aftermarket support

and will for a long time

Cheap 300zx brake upgrade

(already got vr4 rotors wtih adapter to go with really large upgrade)

no firewall cutting needed for proper engine placment

definately LSD's that can handle the power

definately suspension that can handle the power

Cons

my car is 4 lug (although ive obtained almost everythign i need to convert to 5 lug with 300zx brakes rotors)

(ive also heard that someone put 300zx brakes on a starion, this could be a plus for the starion side if true)

does not have VLSD

240sx is nice, but not as striking as the quest

not widebody from factory

$$$ to convert to widebody

Cant take really wide wheels without widebody

---------------------

Well thats all i can think of for now, and my wife is giving me heck for being on the computer for so long..

Please dont reply with the following garbage:

why dont you just 4g63 it

why dont you just get MPI on the G54B

LS1 FTW

and so on

ive researched all of these

2JZ is best bang for your buck

and is what i want

just gotta chose the best platform..

im leaning to the quest, but since i havent snagged the shell yet

i dunno.. The 240 would be so much easier, and i own it

and i currently have a line on the 2JZ swap kit that is 1500 bucks for 1000 bucks..

good thing im out of $$ right now

but hmm if i get the shell and sell my 240 for around 6K

id be good to go wtih the starion.

Please Help me

with any other pros and cons you can think of

Thanks

Koren

well, I think personally you should stay out of the "norm" koren.

What I mean by that is this:

How many shops are doing the 2jz swap in a 240sx??? I mean they are getting more common, the swap has been done etc. Do you consider yourself a car enthusiast??? Heres an analogy;

I see you roll up in a nice sounding 240sx and ask "whats under the hood?? sounds like an rb25/26???" "no its a 2jz" I say "nice" And Honestly, 240's ain't much to look at. They can have nice stuff on them with $$$$$. But lets face it, its still a 240sx. I will never handle like the quest, nor grab the attention like the quest.

I see you roll up in an old school 'quest that sounds MEAN. I already love the lines of the cars, so 80's boxy straightline era. I ask "what the HELL do you have in that???" and from there, I mean if it were a showoff contest, I know the quest would win. It commands respect. Its alooker.

I would definately give you more respect and the car would be worth more if you attempted something no one else has. But if you are not mechanically inclined, just build a g54MPI quest. We are all here to help you (you know already). I think you should leave the 240 stock

and use it as a DD anyways. Those ka motors are bulletproof. This is my suggestion. What do you want out of your car???? And are you up to the task mechanically speaking??? Thanks for reading my long post.

yeah, ive been thinking more and more that i really love the look of the quest. and although the 240 is a nice car, visually it doesnt do it for me without a body kit and the like... Since im super tight with my $$ id probably never end up paying for a kit as it doesnt increase my performance.

It still hangs on if i can buy that shell though at this point.

but if i get the chance, i think its gonna be a no brainer to go with it.

the main reason i was going 240 was i know it will be a lot easier to do, and 4 years back when i started dreamin about doing it, i didnt even know what a quest was.

As far as mechanicaly inclined, im a Mechanical Design engineer. I can design and reverse engineer about anything in Solid Edge, and im also very hands on, and can build about anything as well.. unfortunately i do not have a shop or enough tools to do this on my own. I also have not done that much work on cars. Ive been working on motorcycles and dirtbikes since i was 11. Only got the car bug the last 5 years or so.

I will need to find some helpers/buddies to help me undertake such a project if it materialises. But i got nothing but time - if it takes 2 + years to get done thats okay. id rather have it done right.

Thanks for your response BTW

well, I think personally you should stay out of the "norm" koren.

What I mean by that is this:

How many shops are doing the 2jz swap in a 240sx??? I mean they are getting more common, the swap has been done etc. Do you consider yourself a car enthusiast??? Heres an analogy;

I see you roll up in a nice sounding 240sx and ask "whats under the hood?? sounds like an rb25/26???" "no its a 2jz" I say "nice" And Honestly, 240's ain't much to look at. They can have nice stuff on them with $$$$$. But lets face it, its still a 240sx. I will never handle like the quest, nor grab the attention like the quest.

I see you roll up in an old school 'quest that sounds MEAN. I already love the lines of the cars, so 80's boxy straightline era. I ask "what the HELL do you have in that???" and from there, I mean if it were a showoff contest, I know the quest would win. It commands respect. Its alooker.

I would definately give you more respect and the car would be worth more if you attempted something no one else has. But if you are not mechanically inclined, just build a g54MPI quest. We are all here to help you (you know already). I think you should leave the 240 stock

and use it as a DD anyways. Those ka motors are bulletproof. This is my suggestion. What do you want out of your car???? And are you up to the task mechanically speaking??? Thanks for reading my long post.

• 2 weeks later...
2jz is not a very hard swap(depends how you look at things) in its self and currently is almost compleated by highly boosted. It actually down to the wire........or wires. look at the 2jz is going to happen below this thread to see status its slow going right now because between life and the cold weather things slow down around here. I hape to have this thing ready to run in a few weeks.

• 1 month later...
2jz is not a very hard swap(depends how you look at things) in its self and currently is almost compleated by highly boosted. It actually down to the wire........or wires. look at the 2jz is going to happen below this thread to see status its slow going right now because between life and the cold weather things slow down around here. I hape to have this thing ready to run in a few weeks.

soon my friend soon

• 4 weeks later...
i was gonna do a rb26 on my quest but i realize that the 2jz wll be cheaper. now on the debate on what car should YOU stick the 2jz i will have to go with the quest. i mean come on the car looks way sexier that the 240. i like the 240 but the quest is way to nice.

Yeah, i pretty much made up my mind as i was creating the post goign over the pros and cons..

i sold my 97 240sx a few weeks back so now im pretty much commited..

unfortunately i still dont own the shell yet, and now am kinda scared to call again on it.. its gonna suck if they have decided not to sell it to me..

---------------------------------

2jz of RB26 was a no brainer for me 2jz setup 1600 bucks +500 dollar tranny, RB setup 3500 bucks plus you need the 1500 + rb25 tranny

JZ = way stronger of a motor so you can run 500 - 650 hp with no worries

and just parts availability. just sourcing a water pump for an RB might take months and $$$

also the number of tuners that are familiar with the rB26 are Few

The RB is a great motor, but you definately can go for broke building up an RB in the USA

Yeah, i pretty much made up my mind as i was creating the post goign over the pros and cons..

i sold my 97 240sx a few weeks back so now im pretty much commited..

unfortunately i still dont own the shell yet, and now am kinda scared to call again on it.. its gonna suck if they have decided not to sell it to me..

---------------------------------

So Manned up last night and made the call

They are gonna sell it to me for $900 bucks!!!

:twisted: :P :twisted:

YEAH!!!

So Project "Mitsuyota Suparion" Has officialy begun!

(althought really project 2JZ started over 2 years ago when i started planning it for the 240sx and started aquiring parts / knowledge for the 2JZ)

Unfortunately im on extremely limited Resorces

(time and money)

so this project may drag on a few years

but who knows - ?

i already have a lot of the parts ill be needing

Ill try to document things i do along the way,

and maybe put them up on a webpage or something

for others enjoyment / use if they attempt the swap.

anyone local who wants to help out is more then welcome to, im deffinately going to need some.

and thanks to all who will be helping me out with answers to questions i am sure to have along the way!

Koren

• 3 months later...

no real headway over the winter

car is in storage and cant come out for about another month

this is what 8- 9 years of dust and mold look like

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/corn_pop45/2JZ%20Quest/newquest_0267.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/corn_pop45/2JZ%20Quest/newquest_0270.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/corn_pop45/2JZ%20Quest/newquest_0272.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/corn_pop45/2JZ%20Quest/newquest_0275.jpg

oh, and its not an 88 starion, its an 87 Quest... same as i already have

i still wanna call it Mitsuyota Suparion though....

i dunno if i will make any progress this summer on it or not

need to get my yard landscaped and build a garrage..

if i get that complete, then i can tear the car down over then next winter

Edited by Maine_TSI

• 5 years later...

Get the Paddles! Charging....... Clear! bwazapp! Clear! Bwazapp!

I think we have a pulse. Just when i was sure she was a gonner.

looks like this thread and project might just have been revived!

• 2 weeks later...

Some parts on the way

DriftMotion my new best friend...

or maybe I'm their best new friend hehehe

1JZ/2JZ Spark Plug Cover Bolt Set (2JZ-GTE)

1JZ/2JZ T-Belt Hydro Tens-Factory Toyota

2JZ serpentine belt-No AC

2JZ timing belt

2JZ Timing Belt Idler Pulley

2JZ-GTE cam seal

2JZ-GTE/1JZ-GTE water pump

Big Toyota Oil Filter

HPS MK3 Supra 1JZ/2JZ Radiator Hoses (Blue)

1JZ/2JZ Thermostat

1JZ/2JZ Front Main Seal

Oil Catch Can

Starion/Conquest 1JZ/2JZ PS Hose

probably getting the Bosch 044 off ebay

along with 3" inter-cooler piping

and some slim fans tomorrow

btw, that larger oil filter they sale for 6.50 plus shipping is the same filter for the tundra v8's. Part # is 90915YZZD3. Its cheaper at the autoparts and/or ebay. Im not knocking dm, but their shipping is a little high sometimes. I also see these on ebay for about 20 bucks shipped for about 4-5 filters.

btw, that larger oil filter they sale for 6.50 plus shipping is the same filter for the tundra v8's. Part # is 90915YZZD3. I

thanks! good to know - if they fit our bay... yeah Drift motion was okay for shipping but i had a lot of stuff so it probably helped. most items i needed they seemed to be the cheapest on, but not all. Bosch 044 off Ebay was 70 cheaper not counting shipping. That savings paid for my Mark VIII fan and then some...

What radiator is that? It seems smaller than the mk3 rad I got. Either way I am going to struggle to get this fan to work. On mine there is only a 2" overlap at the bottom which isn't that big a deal but with the thickness of this fan it may not work. Again I have a spare mk8 shroud minus motor and blade and separate blade I can send u no charge for u to mock/cut up. However looking at the pic it doesn't seem it's going to work. Edited by jtmuncher