#1 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

With the banter going around in the other thread it got me thinking about converting my 4.0 Ranger to an electric fan setup. I've gotta pull and replace the leaking radiator soon, and thought I'd work on the swap. I plan on having the radiator shop pull the auto trans cooler and install fittings for sensors in their places while the tanks are off. From there it's a matter of wiring things up and finding the right sensors. The big question(s), will I need to run a relay (or one for each fan) with this, or can I wire it all direct? If I need the relay(s), is there a schematic that'll show me how to wire it....one that folks here would recommend?
Nothing wrong with the clutch fan that's there, but my MPG is miserable in the truck, always has been. I'd like just a tad more power too. I've weighed the pro's and cons, and I'd really like to do this.
Suggestions?

#2 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:58 PM

I would run relays.  Depending on how many amps your fans draw you may need 2.  I wouldn't recommend maxing a relay.  For example x2 10 amp fans on one 20 amp relay is pushing that relay to it's limits.  Leave yourself some breathing room so the relay doesn't fail on a hot day..

Automotive relays have 4-5 terminals.  They will be labeled.  2 terminals will be for the coil that turns it on.  One side to ignition on 12v+ and the other side to the temp sensors.  One side of the fans can be connected directly to ground.  The other side goes to the common or "C" terminal on the relay.  The normally open or "NO" terminal on the relay goes to battery positive.  A fuse at the battery would be a good idea.  

With it wired up like that the system will turn on and off with the ignition switch and the sensors will handle when the fan is needed.
My 87
Posted Image

#3 pure_insanity

pure_insanity

comfotably content

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,985 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:18 AM

I say do it. I converted my 4x4 mighty max some years ago and at the same time gave it a/c. The difference i saw in the drag of the a/c compressor was gave back(and then some) by the difference of losing the clutch fan. I couldnt really see the difference in mpg but the truck seemed to run easier.
  I wired in a small led on the dash just to show me when the fan was running, it was nice to be able to watch the fan and get an idea how long you can drive before your fans ever come on.
  In winter as long as i didnt hit traffic just the air moving across the radiator would keep it cool enough the fans would never come on.
  I suggest two fans with a seperate temp switch and relay for each.
some good mpi info that may help someone.
mpi stuff

life is like a roll of toilet paper. the closer you get to the end-the faster it goes.

#4 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

Great. Next question...the radiator has plastic tanks. I've found sensors to work, but where would I find the bungs to mount them in the radiator? I've been on Summit (where I got the weld-ins for the SQ), but can't seem to find anything to bolt in.

#5 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

I have the auto cool III

http://www.autocoolguy.com

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#6 ucw458

ucw458

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

I have had luck with the sensors that stick into a hose.  But others have had them leak.  There are sensors that stick into the fins of the radiator.  They don't have direct contact with the coolant so I'm skeptical about how good they are.  Lastly there are sensor bung splices for radiator hoses.  Probably your best bet.  Make sure it goes in the return hose not the hose attached to the T-stat or your fans will never turn off.

Something like this would work.

http://perrinperform...GkaAqRHEALw_wcB

Posted Image
My 87
Posted Image

#7 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

UCW, I had one on the Starion years ago with the insert that went in the upper hose. It ALWAYS seeped, no matter how tight I got the clamp, how new the hose was, whatever. I like what you've posted. I may go that route. Thanks.

#8 ucw458

ucw458

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

Yeah that's what I hear from people.  I had one that didn't leak but I haven't heard that from anyone else.  Guess I got lucky.
My 87
Posted Image

#9 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,701 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hotrods, ratrods

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

You can get the variable temp fan kits online and in stores, the probe slips in the fins at the upper hose, you turn the screw to set the temp it kicks on at, it runs for i think 10d difference and cuts off. Most come prewired with a 4/5 pin relay which is replaceable
I have one i use when i use an electric fan lol. Though i am currently clutch fan, i think i may add a small secondary electric just to have for my a/c
Spark plug elimination kit

#10 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

It's been slow going, but I have made a little progress. I had the radiator shop pull the tank off, then took the oem trans cooler out, cut off the back section of it, which basically left me with the forward section with the 3/8 bungs for the sensors that will now have contact with the coolant. I reinstalled the needed section of the oem cooler, then he put the tank back on. I have yet to buy the sensors, but I do have two 12" fans I plan on configuring, very much like the OEM SQ setup. I've got a boatload of SQ extras around here, and plan on using one of my spare "relay trees" from the driver's side shock tower. Are those relays hefty enough to handle the fans? I believe they're AC related.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users