New Stereo

I finally have some good tunes in the Quest!! Over the weekend I installed a Kenwood Dual Din head unit and steering wheel control adapter. Works great and looks even better. It was breeze to put in as well. I did open up the mounting holes on the factory brackets a bit but not much was needed. I think the best part is it looks like it could be a stock unit.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.

• Like 1

Is this a New Model Kenwood unit, & if so, let us in on it & the adapter used. I know there has always been alot of interest about a swap & utilizing thne steering controls. I have an 88' that came w/ a double din something... but no access to the steering wheel controls. Thanx!

I'm going to take the wiring diagram for the stereo from the FSM and draw in the adapter wiring at some point as well. I found the wiring on this forum, but a diagram to me is far better than words.

The Kenwood is new. It is a DPX308U model. The adpater is a PAC SW1 Jack. There are many models of head units out there that are steering wheel control compatable with an adapter. I found all major brands offer it on some models.

PAC SW1 Jack.PDF

Edited by Leeintheconquest

• 3 months later...
looks good for a double din. I wish i could do that install but i'm so paranoid someone might get brave and break into my car and try to steal it. Plus i moved my HVAC there so i could have cup holders installed in my car lol

• 2 months later...
Ya it looks good. Love the USB port. The orange matches the rest of the guages great. The unit was was pretty easy to install as well. Did open up a couple of the factory mounting holes as they didn't liine up quite right, but think this will change from car to car. I did install the steering wheel controls adaptor but I'm not sure if would again.

• 4 weeks later...

The Kenwood head units with the adjustable colors and polarities for the LCD work great for the 1st year...

Unfortunately if installed in an area where the temperature can get quite hot like So Cal or Arizona, the display goes wacko changing multiple colors.. I installed (2) different units, the 2nd one being a replacement for the 1st and both failed. Note the units worked fine for audio performance and control its just the multiple color display scheme doesn't hold up well in hot climates. Therefore I would stay clear of that brand and LCD multiple color feature.

Just my $0.02.. ;)

awesome...i've been researching radios and this was the same unit i settled on....due to lots of changeable colors....double din...and aux jack

edit: didn't notice the page 2 warning........i live in ohio...so hopefully i'm ok with the heat thing :(

Edited by Walker

Well then again I had an Alpine unit once and the display dropped in it's padded case from about one foot off the ground and the display flat died. Consumer electronics are all hit and miss.

• 3 weeks later...

So the new stereo has been working great.....but I switched over to the tuner the other day and low and behold the power antenna didn't come up. When I had first put the unit in it worked fine when you went to the tuner. Now nothing.

So I did some investigation last night and as far as I can tell, I've lost the output from the head unit for the antenna. Don't have time right now to pull the whole console out to really do a good check on the wiring as the show is coming up on Sunday. Everything "car" related (voltage to the relay) seams good, but no hit from the head unit. Kinda bummed but worst case senerio is putting a switch in for the antenna over the winter.

Any other thoughts and what could do this other than the head unit?