whats a good dsl speed?

substock

i'm getting ready to move, and while i'm at it i'm switching my cable and internet provider.

i'm just wondering what is a good dsl speed to use?

the new provider i'm probably going to use offer 3, 8, or 10mbps

i know 10 would be the fastest, but how slow would 3 be?

3 is for old people, 8 is for your average user and 10 is for the downloader/gamer type altho 8 is all you really need, could get away with 3 if you just browse the web

i guess it all depends on what ya want it for. if i only browsed the web and checked emails i would go with 3, i mean if thats all you do, its kinda waste of money to pay for all that extra when its not needed

Edited by site

i think ours is a 1.5 or 3 lol...but we live way out in the country so i have bad connection anyways. When i play games i had the same ping and euro players until i complained and they installed a tower beside my house :D

I think 3 is fine...it downloads okay and everything...seems like most of the stuff i download goes at about 80-110kbps

thanks,

we mainly use it for browser, sometimes download a few things.

i've normally used cable, and my apartment is dsl(but its shared throughout the entire complex and can be slow as can be at times)

i can always upgrade to a faster speed if i feel we'd need it.

I have 1.5, it's just fine for 99% of net surfing, and loads typical short movies or news clips fast enough (most stream, others don't need much time to buffer). Does pretty well on downloaded porgrams/software upgrades too. I've been on some very large multi T-1 networks, I found with that added speed, it is useless if the other end is still slow. You won't be able make use of that super-high speed a lot of the time.

Upgrade if you figure on watching movies or game a lot, otherwise give the slow speet a try, it's probalby just fine and will save you some $$$.

I have 1.5, it's just fine for 99% of net surfing, and loads typical short movies or news clips fast enough (most stream, others don't need much time to buffer). Does pretty well on downloaded porgrams/software upgrades too. I've been on some very large multi T-1 networks, I found with that added speed, it is useless if the other end is still slow. You won't be able make use of that super-high speed a lot of the time.

Upgrade if you figure on watching movies or game a lot, otherwise give the slow speet a try, it's probalby just fine and will save you some $$$.

my thought exactly Chad

most of your time the site your on is gona not alow you full speed any way

besides with a middle ground rate your some times able to upgrade at a better price then what they offer when you sign up

but none of them are full speed all the time so why pay full price for what you won't be geting

most of your time the site your on is gona not alow you full speed any way

besides with a middle ground rate your some times able to upgrade at a better price then what they offer when you sign up

but none of them are full speed all the time so why pay full price for what you won't be geting

i used to agree with you untill about 2 months ago when i switched to windows 7 and started using a bandwidth meter.

when you sign up for internet speeds the advertise them in kila or mega BITS per sec and when you see DL speeds in the pop up window on your computer it shows you kila BYTES per sec

i have 5meg fiber internet and tap to a full 5 megaBIT all the time but my computer only shows me about 620KB/sec

most website are on servers now that can support full upload speeds on many MB/sec and you will get your full speed you pay for

Mb/sec = megaBIT per sec

MB/sec = megaBYTE persec

1 MB/sec = 8 Mb/sec

Best I have ever seen with my download speed when I didn't have control over the PC at the other end that was uploading it to me was 13XXKB / sec

Dosn't sound like your a gamer, downlaoder, or work user so go with the low end and upgrade if you need to. They are usualy quick to allow you to upgrade and usualy make it hard for you to downgrade.

• 3 months later...

10MBS for torrenting/XBL 8 would be fine... For gaming I find the better the U/L speed the less lag. I'm not sure why,maybe the send/receiving of data makes the overall game smoother?

Why not cable? Faster, better. I am biased though since i can't use dsl. My phone line is messed up and they refused to fix it. The tech who came out like 8 times told me they'd likely never fix it since it'd cost the company too much, he advised I get cable internet lol. Now I have phone tv and internet with them, =) if you have all three anyways see if you can get a discount for having all 3, get better connection still save money? just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
hmmm. I'm dropping my 1.0 cable since the better deal is Century Link's 1.5 DSL and basic local phone, since I need the ph. for faxing. Never had any probs with either cable or DSL really. Only time speed could be better is buffering videos, but that's only recreational surfing and not worth the extra $$ for a few seconds to me.

• 2 months later...
your on boad lan and or cards and hubs can also have an effect on d/l and up/l speeds , some mb have more then 1 lan connector some are 10/100 and some 100/400 , both do not provide the same speed