cold air intake

TURBOPRO

There are no "cold air" intakes for our cars. On top of that 90% of the supposed cold air intakes you see for salesale for any car are simply not effective and don't do anything. They are just a waste of money. Do yourself a favor and spend that money on a wideband or maintenance parts.

When I put a large kn filter on it did open the intake up alot, its not a true cold air it doesnt have a box to enclose it more like a brute force intake but none the less you get the great kn sound and the turbo sound is better as far as performance it does do better than the crappy stock air can without a doubt ^ but yes I looked into it and there isnt a true cold air intake just open filters and piping to go where the air is coldest in the bay. I bought mine from a member with a 2g mas for like 100$ that is alot for a filter but it looks much better than the big peice of black metal they call a air box. Wideband before all of this so you can see your air fuel ratio it is importaint in these cars especially if you upgrade to performace parts just my 2cents

the stock turbo inlet pipe is kind of a bottle neck. it can shrink down the Inside diameter as the turbo sucks harder.

it chokes off incoming air to the turbo. an aluminum replacement would help if they made one.

way back in the day there used to be a mod that you put a 3 inch pipe about 6 inches long in the rubber turbo inlet pipe.

to keep it from shrinking the id of the pipe when boosting. it prevented the ID from choking air off from getting to the turbo.

Can you give me an example of what your specifically refering to when you say "cold air intake"? Because frankly what most people mean when they say that is one of those cone filters and a pipe that just moves the point where air is pulled from in the engine bay. Those have been shown to not do much of anything.

More air does not equate to more horsepower. Without an increase of fuel and other things more air is just a lean condition ready to cause damage. But that assumes that your "cold air intake" can increase the amount of air coming into the engine along with lowering its temp. Its been shown so many times to not be the case. Yes there are some aftermarket setups that in the right conditions will help but those are few and far between and include boxes to isolate the filter from heat soak and move the point where air is pulled to a place out of the engine bay.

Are you talking about a specific model of K&N cold air intake that increases HP by 10 or more for its application or are you saying that they all do? I think a wide sweeping generalization like that is a bad basis for an argument.

I know that this is not a science paper written by respected people in the science community but I submit this as evidence.

Interesting. After looking at this video I decided to try and debunk it and i found another article saying the samething. Apparently vehicles with MAF sensors don't really like cold air intakes

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/why-aftermarket-cold-air-kits-dont-work-510198938

Edited by allen405

I have just an HKS filter on my turbo inlet. Nothing fancy. Well let me ask you this, how are you think people would be able to verify an increase of 13hp or 11hp to their car to even know one way or the other for that money back guarantee? People don't buy one of those and then promptly run out and go run their car a Dyno. That costs decent money and simply isn't practical. At the end of the day the company could claim anything and 95% of their customers won't call them out on it. The ones that would actually be able to test it simply wouldn't be bothered by it, or if they are they are such a small percentage the company could care less.

Look dude, all I'm saying is don't believe everything you read / hear. It doesn't even matter really. Our cars simply don't have that kind of product made for them.