#21 Dcrasta

Dcrasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:59 AM

My method I use the cam gear to give me an idea where I am .. Remember 1 cam gear rotation = 2 crank rotations. SO ..
Start at TDC #1 (cam pin should be at 12'oclock) do tdc 1 lash and rotate gear 1/4 turn clockwise. that should be tdc 3 then etc   [Firing order 1342]

To rotate the engine (u can do it by hand on the crank pulley if you absolutely have to) use a 22mm socket on the crank bolt. Remove the spark plugs first and its easier.  Having 'no tools' really isnt a good excuse if you dont have it go buy it you will need it later, and its like 4-5 bucks for a socket.  I prefer 1/2 inch for this and a 1/2 inch rachet fits nice in there.

:roll: better invest in some tools save u some money in the long run.
CLICK My CAR For Mods Info
Posted ImagePosted Image
MY_CAR_RUNS_ON_PARTS_FROM_DAD            
Downloadable-88-FSM
Professor-Q's_FAQ

#22 batmanntexas

batmanntexas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:cars, sports, stereo's, etc.

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:52 PM

Here's a little trick for rotating the crankshaft with out any tools or grabbing the crankshaft pulley, if you don't already know this.

Level ground helps out here by the way; put the car in 1st gear. Release emergency brake (if applied), Rock the car backwards or forwards to achieve the desired crankshaft rotation direction. This method allows you to look right at the crankshaft pulley and align the timing mark right where you need it while you are rotating the crankshaft. Once again, no tools required for this method. 8)
Scott A. Campbell
1988 Conquest Tsi w/V8
2006 Nissan Titan SE
2006 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
2007 Stringray 185LS
2006 Kia Sedona EX

#23 Dcrasta

Dcrasta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 01 October 2005 - 10:10 AM

Hmm, batmanntexas..

1: Never rotate the engine backwards.  Not the normal rotation of the motor (and other reasons why it shouldnt be done..) (im sure someone will say 'i did it and nothing happened'..  :roll: )

2: Cant set the lash without tools. U have to pull the OVC pipe off (screwdriver) valve cover (12mm wrench/socket) and set the lash on the rocker (12mm wrench and screwdriver) so right there we have established at least 1 screwdriver and 1 12mm wrench.  All you need in addition to that is a 23mm socket and ratchet to turn it. Now if your driving a car that uses 93 octane and with the price of gas I would think you (not you but the hypothetical anybody) can afford 10 bucks worth of tools not to mention a feeler gauge.
CLICK My CAR For Mods Info
Posted ImagePosted Image
MY_CAR_RUNS_ON_PARTS_FROM_DAD            
Downloadable-88-FSM
Professor-Q's_FAQ

#24 Boosted_One

Boosted_One

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,981 posts
  • Interests:It's all about BOOST!
  • Model:Other

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (Dcrasta)
Hmm, batmanntexas..

1: Never rotate the engine backwards.  Not the normal rotation of the motor (and other reasons why it shouldnt be done..) (im sure someone will say 'i did it and nothing happened'..  :roll: )

The only time I did rotate the engine CCW was to degree the cam.

That was necessary for me to do.

Otherwise absolutely do not rotate the motor CCW. You can sooooooo easily bind up the chain and jump it a tooth, or hell even more!
Mike K

#25 batmanntexas

batmanntexas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:cars, sports, stereo's, etc.

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:48 PM

I know that tools are required to set the valve lash. The method I described was for rotating the engine ONLY without the need for hand tools.  As for turning the engine backwards, you should only be "nudging" it backwards to align the timimng mark, not trying to rotate the motor 360, 720, etc. in the reverse direction. Granted when I posted this, I was thinking about a small block V8, something that usually doesn't have a chain guide, tensioner, etc. I will concede that rotating the 2.6L backwards any sserious amount could do some damage, alright. Call me stubborn, but I still don't see any harm in just "nudging" it backwards, if you need to align the timimg mark. Just my $.02.
Scott A. Campbell
1988 Conquest Tsi w/V8
2006 Nissan Titan SE
2006 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
2007 Stringray 185LS
2006 Kia Sedona EX

#26 88351wtsi

88351wtsi

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:My kids, music, and cars, not always in that order.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:21 PM

how long are the long mechanical lash adjusters?  The ones I have are 30 mm long.
1988 Conquests  

His:  Durban maroon with 351w  
        Sophia white MS2 full sequential with BW S257sxe in the middle of a full tear down

Hers: Red restored and on the road, mostly stock

#27 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

View Post88351wtsi, on 14 February 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

how long are the long mechanical lash adjusters?  The ones I have are 30 mm long.

this topic may help you identify which ones you have. 83 had longer valves and shorter screws, 85 had shorter valves and longer screws.
http://starquest.i-x...topic.php?t=997
2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image
Professor Quest's S.O.S (save our starquest) Manuals: http://starquest.i-x...wforum.php?f=12
E.T. and Dyno Database: http://www.sqperformance.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users