Steering wheel controls+aftermarket stereo

Has anyone hear used thesteering wheel control adapter with a aftermarket radio? I want to buy a Alpine 7863 but I do not want to lose my radio controls.

Or has anyone installed the Diamante,galant, 3000gt oem radio and still retainted the the steering control? ???

Yeah, those factory CD players will work fine with the stock wheel controls.  As for an aftermarket head unit, you can buy an adapter that allows you to tie into the stock controls too.  I've been meaning to pick it up forever (ever since I saw Indy's car with the stock controls hooked up to an aftermarket headunit) but in a lot of ways I'm happier with the remote I have.  A lot more control, and I can play with the steering wheel buttons while driving down the road. ;)

The adapter you need for the steering wheel controls to control an aftermarket radio is part number SWI-X(can't remember if it's a Peripheral part or not, I'll have to check) and is available at any Best Buy. It's about $50, and requires you to have a stereo with a supplied IR remote control. You need the remote so that you can program the SWI-X. The controller simply wires into the steering wheel wires behind the radio, takes the signal's from the steering wheel, and turns them into an IR signal from a little IR emiting diode you have to mount somewhere that can see the front of your stereo.

Here is what I did....I bought an Alipine Cass/CD unit, forgot the model now.  I then took it apart and soldered in new wires after tracking the steering wheel wires, what controls what.  I then ran the wires from the radio out the back and tied them into the steering control.

I must say, you MUST know how to do a few things.  One, find the same controls of the steering wheel on the radio, crack it open and know how to use a sodder gun.  Second, you must have the correct type of meter to test what resistance value is needed and make any changes if need be.  Then tie it all together with the wirfe from the wheel.

Kinda hard, but no adapters needed and you can do it with ANY radio.

cut-n-pasted from a previous post...  The PAC SWI-6 was replaced by the SWI-X.

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! My steering wheel controls are working again -- better than with the factory radio. The PAC (Pacific Accessory Corp) SWI-6 unit works as advertised. http://www.go2pac.com

"PWR" turns stereo on/off.

"VOL+" and "VOL-" work same as before.

"SEEK" Using radio, quick touch - moves up to next

frequency e.g. 101.7 to 101.9; held down - seeks next strong station.

Using CD, quick touch - moves up to the next track, held down - fast

forwards on same track.

"SCAN" Using radio, moves up to next pre-set station.

Using CD, moves up to the next disc in changer.

"AM/FM" - rotates between CD/Cassette/Tuner.

The only time that I use my head-unit's buttons is to adjust bass/treble controls.

Purchased from Circuit City just under $60. It receives changes in voltage from the steering wheel buttons and converts them into IR Remote commands. It is smaller than 4" length, 2" width, and 1" depth. I velcro'ed mine above/behind the glove box.

Making it happen ---

1) Purchase an aftermarket headunit with the ability to respond to an IR Remote. Also, controls for CD Changer are desireable.

2) Supply power to the Steering Wheel Control amp. It receives its power from the factory radio. This must be re-wired.

3) Teach the PAC SWI-6 your steering wheel commands and corresponding IR Remote command. Re-Wire Steering Wheel Control amp.

a) Use a wiring harness adapter from Scosche/Metawire (87-93 Mitsu/Chrysler)

to match with the connector to the Steering Wheel Controls. This connector

is located behind your factory radio.

B) The connector has five slots with four wires for '85 and older, eight

slots with with four wires for '86 and younger.

c) The Green/White wire receives power (Illumination +) when headlight

switch is on. It receives power from the dash-board lights. It is not

needed for Steering Wheel Controls. Do NOT use, unless you wish to short

out rheostat for dash light dimmer switch. Your headunit should tap into

the taillight circuit instead.

d) The Light-Blue/White wire receives power (ACC) when ignition switch

is in accessory position. Connect this wire along with red wire of PAC

SWI-6 unit to the accessory power wire used by factory radio.

e) The Yellow/White wire sends signal voltage. Connect this wire to the

green wire of the PAC SWI-6 unit. Without being grounded, the '85 Starion

steering wheel controls send voltage of 8.53.

f) The Black/White wire must be grounded. These are the voltages:

"PWR " - 7.30

"VOL +" - 7.26

"VOL -" - 7.28

"SEEK " - 7.31

"SCAN " - 7.32

"FM/AM" - 7.30

Actually steering wheel control amp does not send voltages -- it sends a series of data commands. Volt meter sees these commands as voltages. A test light will not work. Also, ground the PAC SWI-6 unit.

g) Place the IR transmitter flasher eye under the ash tray or on the face

of your headunit. A Niles IRC-2 IR MicroFlasher may be used, instead.

I hope this info is helpful for anyone who wishes to use with their Conquest/Starion steering wheel controls with an aftermarket headunit.

I would like to clarify a few items.

Concerning the Reostat. Call the mfg'er of your new headunit. The illumination lights of some headunits (like mine) require constant 12V power. Others allow their lights to dim, just like the dashboard lights.

To be safe -- tap into the taillight circuit.

Concerning the PAC unit. It isn't as difficult to install as I described -- a voltmeter isn't required. I provided detailed instructions for trouble-shooting any problems that may occur e.g. testing to see whether your factory steering wheel controls still work properly.

I like the DSM/3000GT radio replacement idea, but one of the advantages of the PAC idea is that you can customize your controls. When I had my factory radio, I never used my "SEEK" and "SCAN" buttons. Now they can be programmed to represent any function available on my headunit's remote.

You need your headunit's i/r remote.  While programming the SWI-X, it asks for you to press a SWC button and then the corresponding remote control command.  Ask your stereo shop to borrow one.

Unlike the presets on your factory radio, the SWI-X keeps its memory for something like 4-6 months after you have disconnected your battery.   That is why the SWI-X uses power from accessory switch circuit instead of 12V battery circuit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bring back to the top...  

My car sits in my garage for months without being driven.  The PAC SWI-X unit has kept its memory for over a 5 month period, so you don't have to worry about reprogramming it every time you disconnect your battery.  It runs on ACC power (not BAT), so it doesn't drain your battery.  

Using the PAC SWI-X unit, you can customize your SWC buttons to represent any function that you'd like.

• 2 months later...
I have a question about using a newer stock mitsu cd player in my 88 tsi. I have found a salvage yard that says they have the stock cd player radio out of a 91 eclipse, but they think it wont work. The other question is, does anyone know what one of those radios looks like..i want something that looks stock, that hopefully would light up in orange and definetely works with the steering wheel controls. I looked all over the net for a pic of a dsm one but couldnt find one anywhere.

Just a word to the wise, the wonderful SWIX unit works on most aftermarket head units.  However if you own a newer Sony, like the CDX-M620, 670, 730 and 770, the swix unit will not interface.  The install manual specifically states which models are not compatible, but the only brand I remember was Sony.  (had to take my SWIX back)  :'(  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to settle with the remote.

Zeke

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Indy 85 did a great job back in early 2002 of describing the install on the PAC-SWI-6, however, the unit has since been updated to the SWI-X.  After checking the schematics, I've found how to install.  Pretty simple:

WIRING IT IN

SWI-X wires

Function   SWI    Car  

Power    Red       Blue/white ACCESORY*

Ground   Black    Black* (or ground directly to screw in side of console)

Signal     Yellow  Yellow/White stripe**

Steering Wheel Plug

Function    Steering Wheel plug   Car                 SWI

Power       Green/White**           Green/White*    ----

ACC Power Blue/White**             Blue/White*      ----

Ground      Black**                       Black (as above) ---

Signal        Yellow/White              ----                     Yellow

* = wires from the large connector going to the radio.  Make sure it's the CAR's connector, NOT any adapters, or plugs coming directly from the radio itself, as the wire colors and pins may differ.

** = This wire goes to the 8 pin (87 and up) steering wheel connector plug.  See above.

--ALSO:  I see no reason why a scoshe connector is needed for the steering wheel harness plug.  Just find the wires as listed, and splice em in!  

PROGRAMMING IT

Setting the "version" code:   -this tells it what car

-Turn Ignition(IGN) OFF

-Press and hold the Programming Button (P-but)

-Turn IGN ON

-Release P-but  (lights will blink on/off again for 3 seconds)

-Press and Release P-but 5 times   (light will flash each time)

-Wait 3 seconds

-Right light will flash 5 times  (this indicates the version code is set)

-Turn IGN OFF   (DONE SETTING VERSION)

Setting the Buttons:

-IGN ON  (Right light will flash 5 times -telling the version #)

- Press and Hold P-but (Left light comes on)

-Release P-But

*-Within 7 seconds w/ Left light still on, Press and hold the Steering Wheel Button (SWB) (Left light goes off)

-Release __SWB__  (Right light comes on)

-Hold remote to the SWI-X's sensor eye (on the end of the black wire) and

press and hold remote button.  (Right light will turn off when it picks it up)

-Release remote button  (Left light will turn back on indicating it's ready to take in the next button)

-->Go back to the * step and repeat up to here, until done, then:

-Do nothing.  After 7 seconds, will get 3 flashes, then flash the version #.  Congrats, you're done!

--Extra notes:

-The instructions given with the SWI-X are currently for an 85 only.  I'm not sure if an 86 has the 6 pin steering wheel plug of the 85 or the 8 pin plug for the 87 and up as described above.  Check the 86 schematics under the AUDIO circuit.  The steering wheel plug is actually shown as an Amplifier, which is why a constant and and accessory power need to be wired up to it, since it uses a relay circuit (the tail light relay).

-When programming, if the eye won't pick up the signal from the remote, try doing it away from any lights, and keep the wire away from anything with power through it, as this may "distract" it from picking up the correct frequency emitted by the remote.

-Also, be sure to test the sensor eye in various locations to make sure it's working where you want to mount it.

Hope this helps.  Send me a PM if any questions.d

-Matt

• 10 months later...
I don't think the radio controls work with the eclipse radio.I don't think the speakers are right when you plug in the radio in.I used a 1st gen eclipse harness for my aftermarket radio and the wire labeling for the speakers was wrong.The eclipse cd radio is a 2-din unit with the radio on top and cd on bottom.It doesn't really look like the stock quest,but in the style of that era.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I just recently installed a SWC interface from Peripheral model (PEWIPS) the PS stands for Pioneer and Sony. Other models are available for other applications. and my stereo had a hard wire remote which means my interface control just plugs in the back of the stereo and does not rely on IR signal. I am however confused because my SWC wires were previously cut so I had no Plug on it. From the harness itself I have all the aforementioned wires as well as a black with a yellow stripe. Red with a black stripe. Light green with gray rings on it as well as two blue with white stripes. I have the yellow /white stripe as well and my interface works with that one. Why do I have two blue w/ white stripes what is the black with yellow do. Steering wheel controls Here is a link to the web page for the peripheral controls. Just another option. I used tech support there and they were very nice. What are the big differences from 85 thru 89 in reference to hooking up the SWC units given your main wires are Yellow w/ white stripe to the interface control. The black w/ white stripe is ground and the Blue w/ white stripe goes to power. That is all you use and is that part the same on all?