supra tranny

rumboogy

notsure if this will help anyone or if everyone already knows about it but this site www.rodshop.com.au/transmissions.htm can sell you what you need to adapt a supra 5-speed (wich i've been told by more than a few people now is much stronger than a quest tranny) to a 2.6 hope this helps you hp junkies

I've talked to a few people about this conversion and the word is  this.... the trans is very similar in size, same shifter loc., same starter loc, all but 1-2 tranny bolts line up so adapter plate is fairly simple. Tranny to support 700-800hp. Better 1st and 5th gear ratios. I'm in the process of contacting this shop to find more details, also ordered a catalog to get exact pricing and availability. Stay tuned.

-Neil

Neil, thats good news.  I have a feeling that will be the next link in the chain to break.  Definately keep us posted on what they have to say.  

On another note I didn't see anything about a DSM 2.0 bolting up to a starquest tranny. That would also be nice to have.

I've actually tried and the supra tranny doesn't fit in the 5speed tunnel very well

You could maybe use a helper or the spare jack and widen the tunnel a bit being careful not to kink the frame- Also you could trim the supra tranny a bit-

I'll soon find out if it will fit the auto tunnel as folks say it's wider

You don't need much room just a little more and it would fit-

that 83 would be a supra/celica before it split off into the supra by itself

You probably have the W58 tranny the supra tranny we're talking about is the

R154 5 speed or V160 6speed-both of these are hard to find cheap but hold a ton of power

that 83 would be a supra/celica before it split off into the supra by itself

You probably have the W58 tranny the supra tranny we're talking about is the

R154 5 speed or V160 6speed-both of these are hard to find cheap but hold a ton of power

I don't think you would have any trouble with the W58 Trans (It isn't exactly a slouch) and would probably need little modification for the standard tunnel.

W58

R154 5

The 154 looks small compared to the W58 above but it's wider

I hope to have a car jacked up tomorrow to make more measurements

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/202062/suprabellhousing.JPG

In this pic the bellhousing is face down. What you see is the tranny case at it's widest point.

You shouldn't have any problems with the w58 fitting the starquest tunnel, and the length is the same from bellhousing flange to shifter.

The r154 is stout... don't let the photo fool u.

w58 is readily available / cheap. mkIIIs are heavy pigs, and I've seen the w58 hold up to some strong turbo 7m conversions, on slicks. I seriously doubt anyone here will make enough torque that a w58 can't handle. On the other hand, an idiot can break any tranny if he tries hard enough.

It looks like the tranny may just need to be trimmed in certain spots to fit the tunnel. I really need to know how far and at what height the engine/tranny will sit

This is the R154 pictured below. Actually it's just the front half of the tranny case and

it's the widest part of the trans

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/202062/suprabellhousing2007.jpg

I just called the guy.  It's about 4pm the 25th there.  he said the idea that the w58 is going to hold 700hp is rubbish (his word), and even the top of the line twin turbo supra box is only recommended for 500hp applications.  Just throwing that out there as food for thought.  the w58 and r154 are both supposedly good for 300hp.  By good he may mean completely reliable for a long long time though.  I'm not sure.  I told him my stock gear box is holding up to 325hp and has 140,000 miles on it.  

The kit for our car is $290 AU and includes a "thrust slide bushing" and the actual adapter.  the issues that need to be sorted out are as follows

1. He is used to the customer providing a bell housing and building the adaptor based on that.

2. He thinks the clutch for the supra gearboxes is not hydraulic like ours.  I have no idea

3.  the best thing to do IMO, is to send him the bell housing from the tranny we all want to use.  He said it's a borg warner bell housing over there and he'd have to see if he could find one.  

For a run of 10 or 20 kits, GP style, he'd get his hands on the engine and a starion tranny tunnel or at least measurements and make up a nice kit.  Then of course there's the drive shaft to be sorted out.  He sounds like an easy guy to get along with but asked about a narrow and wide block 2.6 to which I said " I've never heard of any such thing "  so I don't know.  He thinks any of the supra trannies will work though, and that they're all 9 bolt housings with the dowels in the same location, except for the TT tranny which is huge and would almost certainly require tunnel mods.  

I talked with my friend who is a supra nut, and he told me the w58 can't hold nearly as much as the R154.

The r154 is good reliably for 500hp. That is what I plan on making here soon and have been looking for some tranny alternative for awhile now. By just switching to this tranny our top end will be somewhere near 170MPH.

If a GP starts up I will be the first to jump on it.

thanks and take care,

Kevin

I prefer the 5speed fun factor... especially in a lighter wt athletic chasis - more control of powerband. Leaving the line with boost in moded GN (auto) will leave u dizzy tho'.

w58 clutch is hydraulic. Smooth shifting gbox.

PierceJD had a w58 behind his 4g63 in the starquest. A guy in S. florida rigged it... hit him up for some feedback on the tranny fitment and the adapter "issues"

Serious turbo 4ag 1.6L corollas always step up to the w58, from the much weaker stock t50 5spd.

There are companys in the US that offer various adapters. I would think that anybody serious and aggressive enough, could make it happen. The 4g63 guys "needs" a w58 much more than we do, for their swap projects.

I think gearboxes are rated by torque capacity. Nobody could sit there and say what a w58 or r154 "could handle". No way. Too many variables. Driving style / abuse, cannot be measured. A look at the more powerful mkIIIs turbo conversions forum will give u an idea of w58 durability. In the lighter starquest, w58 should live even longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Joel, he is referring to the Mazda B2600i pickup trucks, they supposedly have a removable bellhousing and bolt to a Koyo 5 speed, which allows for the Turbo II transmission out of the RX7.  I personally think the trans gearing in an rx7 is silly, but it could just be the flat power band.  I've owned a half dozen rx's in my life.

But.....If I remember correctly the B2600 2.6 Mitsu is the wrong bolt pattern width, although somewhat easy to fix if you are able to machine/weld bosses in the right locations...

Take care

Shawn

heres a link to a list of the toyota RWD trannies from 72 to present.

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pa...WDgearboxes.htm

This is a Aussie/NZ link so the info is centered around their supplies, but the trannies are the same.

NOTE: the W58 looks good to 300ish hp/tq the R154 says "Mega" that means 900+ in my book.

tho the V160 looks like it would be a good autoX tranny, look at that deep 1st gear....you can almost feel the neck snap...

Yellow_quest