Heres what I get for trusting a honest guy.

h3r3tic

So hey there fellow starquest members. Let me start by saying I was offered a trade for my 302 v8 conquest from knight of mopar. He has a thread in starquest showroom called dropped on new wheels. I was skeptical at first because this car was so mint inside and out in the pics but hey what the heck, anything can happen. So anyways we talked hes from ohio, Im from jersey. He was cool seemed very honest and such kept saying he got offers for the car for 5-6 grand but he was willing to buy mine for 3000 or trade straight up as long as we met halfway. So I went along and we set a date up to meet which happened to be this past wednesday. He told me all about it. It was a good running car he was waiting on his 18g to arrive because his 12a took a dump. He told me all the interior worked and it ran strong especially after he put the 18g on. He also said it drove good it was lowered and rode perfect. He claimed he owned it for over a year and the previous owner rebuilt the motor. It had newer parts and he had also "fixed" everything that was wrong with it when he got it. He had mentioned was that he wanted to keep the 18s and put shps on.. Ok that was understandable. He had said the radiator was good but it was old and we all know how they are. He claimed it had a 255 walbro, mk1 struts all around, mk1 shifter, he would throw in 100 bucks towards back tires cuz they were super bald, also a bunch of extras, wideband setup, 89 ecu, 89 harness, 89 knockbox, throttle body rebuild kit, thermostat, apexi turbo timer, hard pipes, air filters.

Any who so I drive my car a swapped v8 conquest over 270 miles. I made it with zero problems, parked at an Arbys went in got some food wit my friend. So he finally arrives from his 300 mile trip from ohio. The car was mint on the outside fresh paint. The interior was equal to mine. Which is pretty damn close to mint. I browsed through some of the parts seem the most of them. He popped the hood I checked a few things out he showed me it was leaking a little bit from the throttle body but didnt really affect it. So we did the trade I get in the car, the seatbelts dont work. So I started the car it barely started. It idled like complete dog sh!t. Trans is wobbling back in forth motor shaking. I leave to drive back over 270 miles. The car barely drove straight. It was shaking violently after 70 mph. the front end felt nice n loose. It reeks of gas n coolant and the oil pressure was showing low on the gauge. Also the temperature gauge didnt work. So we pull over I check the oil. Its barely on the dipstick. He was such a nice guy he put oil and coolant in the trunk for me "just incase." So I looked around some more the whole entire side of the intake was filled with oil leaking from the egr plate and distributor hole. I look around some more I hear sizzling. The radiator was leaking from the actual tank which then appeared to have been patched previously with some type of weld. So I just quick say screw it lets just get home after adding oil n coolant. So on the way home I figured out the vent select also didnt work, the dash clock resets when the key is removed. The car was so bouncy up front that it was smashing the downpipe on the ground every now and then. Well luckily after 4 hours of smelling straight fuel and oil we actually made it home in one piece. I ended up scratching the from bumper lip because it was so bouncy on the highway. So I popped the hood which the latch is a hanger hanging out the front bumper yet another thing he failed to mention. I started to inspect cuz I knew it needed some cleaning. I came to realize it needed a new radiator I looked, it only had rear mk1 struts fronts were stock blown. I also checked the fuel pump in the trunk and it looks like it hasnt been touched in 22 years.

SO I decided to take some pics now cuz it was really getting interesting.

Heres the thermostat housing.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001755.jpg

Now after I got the housing off luckily the broke off bolt came loose and I was able to remove it with pliers.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001819.jpg

Here is the 18g wheel in a ported out 12a. Is this correct I dont even know if its possible or what an 18g wheel looks like.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001818.jpg

Heres the wiring nightmare.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001755a.jpg

His cleanly ran wires and some unknown blue wiring that I havent figure out why their there yet

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001817.jpg

Another random wire that goes to the blinker. Dunno why or havent found where it connects to inside.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001817a.jpg

The other wire from the blinker that is just cut.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001817b.jpg

Oh and here is his "ABS delete" No rear brakes or ebrake hmm I wonder why.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/Mobile%20Uploads/0527001819a.jpg

So today I ripped everything out all Ac parts, abs parts n canister, emissions crap, cruise control. Anything that was extra and in my way lol. Just waiting on my Aluminum Radiator and walbro fuel pump. Since someone lied about putting one in.

Let me know what you guys think.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow.

so sorry bro, that blows man. question though: didn't you hear its idle, ect when he pulled up? didn't you test drive it or ride in it? How did you not notice stuff like the blue wire and the wire wrapped around the terminal next to the thermostat? or the random cut wires/brakes in the hood area? It partly your fault, cause if you would've even taken a quick glance, I'm sure you'd have driven a V8 quest home too.

:(

Edited by NudeLobster

I would run to the DMV 1st thing Tuesday morning and file for a duplicate title and then call the law and report your car stolen if he does not make things right.

If thats the plan delete this thread first!

You got hosed , not the first in the Starquest world and no doubt and sadly you wont be the last in fact i heard only last week from another very decent member who had parts stolen from another member and is now sick of the whole SQ scene over it , i really feel for you , this just isnt right. :angry:

How could you possibly miss all of that on your inspection? And no test drive before the swap? I mean, it sure looks like he told you some stories, but you have a duty as the buyer to check the car out fully before completing the deal, so the fault here is shared, I believe.

With regards to the wiring, it looks like he had some stereo equipment and possibly some bling type lighting on the car that he removed. The red and blue wiring is typical of amplifier installs, and the wires to the blinker areas usually indicate neons or something similar....

So hey there fellow starquest members. Let me start by saying I was offered a trade for my 302 v8 conquest from knight of mopar. He has a thread in starquest showroom called dropped on new wheels. I was skeptical at first because this car was so mint inside and out in the pics but hey what the heck, anything can happen. So anyways we talked hes from ohio, Im from jersey. He was cool seemed very honest and such kept saying he got offers for the car for 5-6 grand but he was willing to buy mine for 3000 or trade straight up as long as we met halfway. So I went along and we set a date up to meet which happened to be this past wednesday. He told me all about it. It was a good running car he was waiting on his 18g to arrive because his 12a took a dump. He told me all the interior worked and it ran strong especially after he put the 18g on. He also said it drove good it was lowered and rode perfect. He claimed he owned it for over a year and the previous owner rebuilt the motor. It had newer parts and he had also "fixed" everything that was wrong with it when he got it. He had mentioned was that he wanted to keep the 18s and put shps on.. Ok that was understandable. He had said the radiator was good but it was old and we all know how they are. He claimed it had a 255 walbro, mk1 struts all around, mk1 shifter, he would throw in 100 bucks towards back tires cuz they were super bald, also a bunch of extras, wideband setup, 89 ecu, 89 harness, 89 knockbox, throttle body rebuild kit, thermostat, apexi turbo timer, hard pipes, air filters.

Any who so I drive my car a swapped v8 conquest over 270 miles. I made it with zero problems, parked at an Arbys went in got some food wit my friend. So he finally arrives from his 300 mile trip from ohio. The car was mint on the outside fresh paint. The interior was equal to mine. Which is pretty damn close to mint. I browsed through some of the parts seem the most of them. He popped the hood I checked a few things out he showed me it was leaking a little bit from the throttle body but didnt really affect it. So we did the trade I get in the car, the seatbelts dont work. So I started the car it barely started. It idled like complete dog sh!t. Trans is wobbling back in forth motor shaking. I leave to drive back over 270 miles. The car barely drove straight. It was shaking violently after 70 mph. the front end felt nice n loose. It reeks of gas n coolant and the oil pressure was showing low on the gauge. Also the temperature gauge didnt work. So we pull over I check the oil. Its barely on the dipstick. He was such a nice guy he put oil and coolant in the trunk for me "just incase." So I looked around some more the whole entire side of the intake was filled with oil leaking from the egr plate and distributor hole. I look around some more I hear sizzling. The radiator was leaking from the actual tank which then appeared to have been patched previously with some type of weld. So I just quick say screw it lets just get home after adding oil n coolant. So on the way home I figured out the vent select also didnt work, the dash clock resets when the key is removed. The car was so bouncy up front that it was smashing the downpipe on the ground every now and then. Well luckily after 4 hours of smelling straight fuel and oil we actually made it home in one piece. I ended up scratching the from bumper lip because it was so bouncy on the highway. So I popped the hood which the latch is a hanger hanging out the front bumper yet another thing he failed to mention. I started to inspect cuz I knew it needed some cleaning. I came to realize it needed a new radiator I looked, it only had rear mk1 struts fronts were stock blown. I also checked the fuel pump in the trunk and it looks like it hasnt been touched in 22 years.

SO I decided to take some pics now cuz it was really getting interesting.

Heres the thermostat housing.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001755.jpg

Now after I got the housing off luckily the broke off bolt came loose and I was able to remove it with pliers.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001819.jpg

Here is the 18g wheel in a ported out 12a. Is this correct I dont even know if its possible or what an 18g wheel looks like.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001818.jpg

Heres the wiring nightmare.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001755a.jpg

His cleanly ran wires and some unknown blue wiring that I havent figure out why their there yet

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001817.jpg

Another random wire that goes to the blinker. Dunno why or havent found where it connects to inside.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001817a.jpg

The other wire from the blinker that is just cut.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/0527001817b.jpg

Oh and here is his "ABS delete" No rear brakes or ebrake hmm I wonder why.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/Mobile%20Uploads/0527001819a.jpg

So today I ripped everything out all Ac parts, abs parts n canister, emissions crap, cruise control. Anything that was extra and in my way lol. Just waiting on my Aluminum Radiator and walbro fuel pump. Since someone lied about putting one in.

Let me know what you guys think.

Wow so sorry but how could you not see this stuff?you didn't test drive oh well it is just messed up,would not just let this go but you started to take stuff off so looks like your stuck realy hate to hear this hope somthing gets done for you best of luck

That sucks man, I got hosed like that on a car once, but the stuff wasnt obvious, like he said it had 46k mils when it was really 146. Said the A/C needed a recharge, than I found out the lower hose was severed. Tranny started slipping a few 100 miles after I bought it, obviously put some goop in it to sell it. But really, never buy/swap a car with anybody without driving it at least 30 minutes to make sure its all good. IF you notice something, you can call them on it, catch them off gaurd and usually end up getting the car alot cheaper because they know there busted. To be honest, I would drive that thing all the way to his house and confront the SOB, and I wouldnt leave without a v8 swapped quest to drive back in. He tried to pass off a trashed car as something else, and thats B.S. No matter how honest adn trustworthy somebody seems still dont trust it, dont worry about offending somebody for something like that. Nobody would get offended over something like looking over or test driving a car a good while unless they have something to hide, because they know the same as you you dont know them. ITs sad a few crocked SOB's ruin TRUST for the rest of us, but what are you going to do, get screwed or watch your back, I watch my back. Now so will you.

Wait, so you blindly swapped cars without even test driving the one you were buying? Seriously? Did you smoke a giant blunt on your way down? Cause thats the only way I can see anyone forgetting to do such an important thing when buying/trading a car

Wait, so you blindly swapped cars without even test driving the one you were buying? Seriously? Did you smoke a giant blunt on your way down? Cause thats the only way I can see anyone forgetting to do such an important thing when buying/trading a car

Ummmmmmm....YUP...I think you need to look at yourself with equal blame in this...I never take anyones word for it..

EDIT: BTW i think that dude was a total douche for doing this too you..

Edited by BrazilBoy

Well I was interested in the car mainly for the body, but I was still told it was mechanically sound and had upgraded parts when it didnt. When he pulled up it sounded fine. I mean he did just drive 300 miles so I mean that car had to be halfway decent... Its really not the fact that sh!t needs to be fixed. To me its the principle. I mean its obvious why he had a spare wiring harness and spare t stat, spare throttle body rebuild kit now but I mean I dont mind the work its just now I need to replan what I need to buy. We sat in the car for 4 hours there spent an hour at arbys and it was just like lets get it over with. All Im saying is even by him telling me these things in advance I still would have taken the car but at least fckin alert me about these problems before I take a 300 miles trip back. I wanted to get rid of my car. I was done with it, done with the project for my liking. Its not the biggest deal but I didnt get what he had told me plain n simple. Im in no way complaining about the car, I still like it and it gives me something to do and I learn more. I just appreciate honesty. I listed everything done, changed, altered on my car and stated what was wrong with it which really wasnt anything. The motor ran 100% and was reliable to make a 600 mile trip doing 100mph the whole way.... and no I didnt smoke that day for the fact my friend had a piss test to take lol. I mean he was in the same position didnt do anything but just look it over. It just sucks I gotta replace things he said were new or upgraded when I had already planned on buying more upgraded parts to make it all around better. Oh well it really doesnt bother me cuz everytime I get a new car I just get better n better at stripping the crap and making it a clean looking car all around. I just want to alert you guys about him. Thats all and maybe its a topic like this that will help someone spot problems in the future.

heres the turbos in comparison. I can clearly see the wheel is much bigger then the stock 12a but how big is the question. The inside housing was ported very much and its very good work. Supposedly from ragdoll? I would like to hear from him myself what was done.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/cid__downsized950522001703.jpg

Edited by h3r3tic

Sorry to hear of your troubles. As previously stated, you can't be so trusting of someone selling their stuff. Case in point... my girl and I had a one way flight from NJ to GA so I could inspect and purchase a supposed 'mint' original 87 Starion ESI-R... most everything appeared to be as described and pictured except the (good quality) repaint. Upon test drive the car showed it's age and abuse and although I planned on driving back to NJ in my new to me Starion I walked from the deal with no recourse. The unexpected last minute return flight cost me a few hundred, but pennies in comparison to the headaches and emotions of completing a bad deal. A few weeks later I flew out to VT to complete a great deal on a Range Rover. Huge difference in outcome when you are dealing with someone who is trustworthy and not looking to put the screws to you. I hope everything works out for you. Edited by Dan

I did check under the hood. Under the hood it wasnt exactly visible when I first looked cuz it was a mess of wires n pipes and etc.. It wasnt till I got home and actually started looking at the throttle body and wires that I noticed all this but ya way to be a scumbag I must really deserve this since you say so technology. I dont think anyone deserves it. I mean things I checked for was that the motor had a previous rebuild. You could see fresh gaskets and gasket maker through out the parts. Valve cover, water pump the blocks surface where it mates to the head was freshly rusted. The headgasket is like brand new. That was my only concern throttle body rebuild and wiring is nothing to me. I correct that crap everyday at my job when people bring in hacked up stuff. I looked at it as ok this body is mint no dents nor dings, no scratches fresh shiny paint. If the 4cyl blows up whats the worst thats gonna happen I sell all the stock stuff again and pick up another v8 to drop in it? I mean seriously the whole idea of traveling 300 miles to trade for a car you only see pics of is silly but sometimes you wanna go for it. I dont like doing body work and paint. So a mint car to me is worth the start. I can always fix mechanical problems. I just posted this up to put it out there not to be ridiculed. When someone tells you its a daily driver the use to goto work and they gota 450 hp srt4 for the race car is pretty believable considering I had a beast v8 quest as my reliable everyday driver. Also for him to be daring to drive a car 300 miles that was unreliable is beyond me. Its partially my fault for trusting someone I didnt know. I didnt think he was that much of a d*** cuz he was insisting he paypal me extra money for tires and throw in spare parts like the turbo timer. Also the wideband which I never got. Idk man it happens but whatever once my radiator and fuel pump is here. You guys will see one of the cleanest quests. Im just lucky im really mechanically inclined. So do any of you guys got some imput on that turbo? or maybe a way to find this ragdoll or whoever that he said built it for him?

I found the turbo thread with a quick and simple search for posts started by Ragdoll Unlimited. It is indeed an 18g.

Considering that we haven't heard the other side of this story, it seems to me like the guy was pretty honest with you, and you kinda heard what you wanted to hear. Happens to all of us. Most of what you put up pics of would have stood out readily as soon as the hood was opened, so give us a little credit and don't try that "It wasn't exactly visible" line. If you saw the new gaskets, etc, then you saw the wires, ABS line, and other stuff.

I wouldn't call the car unreliable if he drove it 300 miles to meet you.

If you think the guy screwed you, then call him and undo the deal. Otherwise consider it a difference of opinion, stop trying to badmouth the guy, delete this thread and enjoy your quest.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/cid__0512001335.jpg

ok smart guy there you go thats before i touched it. go ahead can you see everything?I mean my bad I didnt kno I would have to search to make sure sensors werent connected with bare wires. The kid lied plain and simple. He wont answer calls or text or messages so you figure it out. I got pics of my v8 quest for days and I would be ashamed to give someone with the engine bay looking like this did. Last thing I wanted to do is bad mouth him. I waited 3 days of trying to contact him and nothing. So I feel people should know on here since this is where it happened... and how you think he was even remotely honest with me is beyond me. I asked questions and he told me what I wanted to hear not what was actually wrong or done to it.

Edited by h3r3tic

so what was so wrong with your v8 car you couldn't wait to get rid of it http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

and why no road test ,, no one buys a car and sets out for a 300 mile trip with out at least driveing it , sounds like you both need to man up .

i hope you learn'd a valuable lesson , sounds like some what most of us would call minor problems and to be honest problems one would expect to find,, sept for the NO rear brakes thats a huge no no

Sorry it happened. Consider it one of those "hard life lessons" not to repeat. I am confused about your statement that you really wanted the car for the body and are not complaining about the car, while ranting about the condition of the car, lol.

Those front strut insulators are blown big time. Make sure to replace them when you do the front struts, better sooner than later with that.

I can't believe he cut the brake line. That's bad (unless it's your ex-wife's car). As far as those other wires go, if they aren't connected to anything, I'd just pull them out. He probably had an amp and some FnF flashy parking lights. I also have to agree with some of the other guys. You buy used cars as is, so you have to check that thing out before you sign anything or pay a dime. The good thing is, all that stuff is pretty minor. Hopefully there aren't any other more serious suprises awaiting you. GL with it.

I already ordered the front struts mk1. They will be here wednesday. And yes thats the link to the car. The body is good the paint is cheasy in some spots. The clear is really smooth but still you can see spots where they didnt wetsand or nitrostain. Its still like the mintest car I have owned yet.

So you are a pot head. Way to be, brah! You deserve this 100%. Who doesn't test drive or even look under the hood of a car they are buying no matter who the seller is?

If I'm ever up in Minnesota, I'll be sure to stop by your way with a nice bowl pack. That way maybe you can post here without coming off as a giant tool for once.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/h3r3tic/cid__0512001335.jpg

Honestly, I've seen way worse quest engine bays before. Although it does look like a wiring nightmare. If everything runs solid besides those smaller issues, I'd say you got yourself a decent trade. How far is from where your at in NJ from north DE?