• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Souljah953

Souljah953

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:42 PM

I am in need of a mechanic in the LA area with understanding of these cars and how to work on them. Mines cranks but does not start. From reading, it seems like it can be a million things. Need a diagnostic. I honestly donít have the time or mind to work on mine and would much rather pay someone for their time and work. I am in the south la area. If you are or know someone you can refer, I would so much appreciate it. 🙏🏽

#2 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:09 PM

What year is it?

Do you get spark?

Do you get fuel?

How's timing look?

You only need 3 things to start.  #1 is fuel, #2 is spark (and correct timing of the spark), #3 is air

Edited by tux, 11 June 2018 - 02:09 PM.

#3 Souljah953

Souljah953

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for your reply tux. Itís an 86.

I was getting spark but now it stopped. It just cranks.

I donít know how to check if I get fuel. I did swap fuel pumps I put in one from an 88.

I donít know how to check timing either.

Are u in Los Angeles?

#4 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:57 AM

Maybe check in w Top End Performance they probably have a few guys on hand to help you out or send you in right direction. Or ask questions on here people will help you figure it out if you are willing to do the work. There are many posts on here in details and how to!Just follow the steps simple as that. If you wanna own one of these your best bet is to tinker and learn your ride yourself as many mechanics do not know much about these cars.

Edited by croquest87, 12 June 2018 - 06:03 AM.

#5 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:43 AM

Check this - http://www.starquest...fuel_system.pdf

For no spark, you might have a bad igniter, might need to clean contacts in cap and rotor, distributor might not be putting out a signal, could have bad ignition wires, or bad plugs.

For checking fuel, there's a connector by the air can to turn run the fuel pump.  Just disconnect the return line from the hard pipe on the drivers side of engine and let it move some into a fuel safe container, that will tell you if you're getting fuel.

#6 Souljah953

Souljah953

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:08 PM

Yo croquest87 thanks a mil for that reference. I just saw their website. I will definitely give them a call. And yeah brother I know what you mean. Iíve worked on quite a few things with this car but I still get stuck with a lot n time is my biggest crunch now. I donít have it like I used to.

#7 Souljah953

Souljah953

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:33 PM

Thank you so much for those leads tux! It will definitely be process of elimination to get to the root cause. Those are great starting points. The thing too is it started up a couple of weeks ago when I finished putting the engine back together but it was idling super erratically, it would misfire when I accelerated but would stabilize after a while n then go back to idling crazily.. I changed fuel pumps from a walbro gsl392 to an 88 stock one now it wonít start up.

#8 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:10 PM

I'll fly out to Los Angeles and diagnose your issue for ya if you pay for my plane ticket :D

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#9 Souljah953

Souljah953

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

So I called Top End Performance yesterday and they told me they no longer service these cars nor do they have any references to any mechanics that work on these cars. Bummer. They do carry parts and rebuild the motors for these though.

Speedyquest how much is the plane ticket?? Lol

#10 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:47 PM

View PostSouljah953, on 13 June 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

Speedyquest how much is the plane ticket?? Lol

Between $400 - 600 bucks haha

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#11 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

Well I would say start working on it ask questions it'll be a lot cheaper and done right anyway!

#12 Souljah953

Souljah953

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:35 PM

Yes no doubt @croquest87!

Well guys a buddy came by and helped me check some things. The '88 pump was bad so I put the old walbro pump back in and then it began to try to start up. Then I pulled the spark plugs and they looked like s***. I bought some new NGK ones and put them in and the car started up. It was sounding good and idling good for about 10 mins. Then, out of nowhere, it began idling erratically and backfiring again and my hopes came crashing down again. We were back at square one smh. We reset the ECU by taking the negative off the battery for 10 mins and then trying to start it again. It sounded great then it came back down with the same issue. It's smoking blue also with apparent smoke coming from the turbo smh.
Any suggestions after this insight?

#13 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

If it starts up and idles for a bit until it warms up, which sounds like what your describing, then it's possible it's your CTS. Either it's a bad sensor or connection if that's what it is. But another thing you should do is an isc/tps reset because there is a chance that issues with those two sensors could be compounding another issue.

Posted Image

#14 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:02 AM

I would spend some time cleaning up connectors and such to the CTS pointing straight up.(One by the oil dipstick) and maybe buy OEM one and install it to eliminate that part. It communicates w ECU. Car needs to know if it's hot or cold to calculate for fuel.
Ignition coils also like to act up when start to get hot. I replace the two w new anyway regardless if good or bad who knows how old they are.Cap rotor plug wires and basics. Have injectors cleaned new fuel filters and clean the tank. Take each connector and clean really good. Especially grounds. One under the battery tray especially.  New injector pigtails. Just a good start.
Compression check
Fuel check
Spark check

Edited by croquest87, 23 June 2018 - 05:20 AM.

#15 Souljah953

Souljah953

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

Thank you guys (speedyquest & croquest87) for sharing that amazing value! My CTS does look like s*** all moldy and stuff. I got a new one but it's from autozone. I'll put it in this weekend.

My ignition coil is also old it's an aftermarket performance one but very old. I will look to swap it.

The injectors are fresh I bought some oem ones I found on ebay and had them tested and cleaned. Got them back with before/after test results and they are in perfect condition. The injector pigtails are also new.

I will see after that stuff if I still need to go into changing the fuel filter by the power steering gearbox and cleaning the tank.

Thanks for the heads up about the cleaning connectors 'especially grounds'. I didn't even know about the one under the batt tray.

Thank you guys are amazing! :D

#16 hawkandhorn

hawkandhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:59 AM

Dude im in LA too with an '87 ...if you find that good mechanic please let me know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users