Water pump hose

G54Bstore

There's a smaller hose coming off the water pump on this starion I'm restoring and it's capped off.

Can Anyone help me remember where it goes?

It's like right above the big hose on the water pump.

Thanx

If it's a nipple on the water pump suction casing, about 3/8 " diameter, it is the coolant return line from the turbo. You'd better get the line coming from the turbo hooked up properly via a 3/8ths " rubber jumper hose.

Is the turbo metal coolant supply line hooked up to the thermostat goose neck via a rubber jumper hose? If not, then you'd better hook that one up too.

See FSM Page 7-3

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Ok..I see that pipe that wraps around the block goes into a different port on the water pup where the big hose connects.

But right above that I got a hose of the same diameter that's just blocked off .

Not sure where it supposed to go.

If it's a nipple on the water pump suction casing, about 3/8 " diameter, it is the coolant return line from the turbo. You'd better get the line coming from the turbo hooked up properly via a 3/8ths " rubber jumper hose.

Is the turbo metal coolant supply line hooked up to the thermostat goose neck via a rubber jumper hose? If not, then you'd better hook that one up too.

See FSM Page 7-3

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Ok didn't see your post while I was posting.

Tyvm I'll check it out. I'm gonna tear some stuff off the motor so I can get to it easier and see what jerry rigging the PO did there

Thanx again

ok heres what is going on ..the water return line coming off the turbo is connected to a "T" on that hard pipe that wraps around the block by the fire wall that Scott was talking about.

do you think I should block that T off on the hard pipe and connect the turbo return line to the water pump ? im thinking that's the way to go.

theres two different water pumps and two different metal lines that wrap around engine....it all depends on which water pump u got...changed in 87 to 88...one sends water straight to turbo the other one sends to engine than thru the turbo..the one that send water straight to the turbo first is 88-89 ..better to cool turbo first than the engine but they both work.....

I think you're talking about the outlet on the pump that goes to the turbo. The PO may have been running an oil cooled only turbo and blocked off the water lines to the turbo. On the water pump there are 3 outlets:

1) An approx. 3/8" port on the back side that runs to the metal tube that wraps around the block.

2) Radiator hose inlet. IIRC...Approx. 1 1/4"

3) An approx. 3/8" port above the radiator hose connection on the passenger side of the pump which runs to the turbo center section.

Page 7-21 of the 88 FSM doesn't even show the nipple on the waterpump that is blocked off on my car.

Anyone have a 87 manual that shows a 2nd small port on top of the water pump?

I guess its hooked up fine with that port blocked off.

Ya Alex I got the water feed line mixe up sorry bout that.

But its connected to the metal line that runs around the block.

Edited by G54Bstore

Number 3 is what I'm looking at Alex but it doesn't show on the manual I got.maybe I got a 87 pump that's rerouted like 88 style. I don't have the 87 mamual.

theres two different water pumps and two different metal lines that wrap around engine....it all depends on which water pump u got...changed in 87 to 88...one sends water straight to turbo the other one sends to engine than thru the turbo..the one that send water straight to the turbo first is 88-89 ..better to cool turbo first than the engine but they both work.....

markhansenconquest is correct....early model cars had the turbo waterline connect to the hard pipe that goes around the block and on later years the water line connection was eliminated and incorporated onto the water pump.

The pump without the extra port is considerably cheaper than the pump with the extra port.

Jerry L.

markhansenconquest is correct....early model cars had the turbo waterline connect to the hard pipe that goes around the block and on later years the water line connection was eliminated and incorporated onto the water pump.

The pump without the extra port is considerably cheaper than the pump with the extra port.

Jerry L.

So by early model cars you mean 88 up?

Yes, the later water pumps have the extra port. Some parts houses interchange that pump for any pump, since it will work on all years if blocked off on the years that don't need it. So, the PO probably bought a pump that came with that port. I bought a pump once for my '87 that came with that port, and I simply blocked it off when maybe I should have ran the turbo coolant hose to it, and blocked off the 2nd pipe port?

Yes, the later water pumps have the extra port. Some parts houses interchange that pump for any pump, since it will work on all years if blocked off on the years that don't need it. So, the PO probably bought a pump that came with that port. I bought a pump once for my '87 that came with that port, and I simply blocked it off when maybe I should have ran the turbo coolant hose to it, and blocked off the 2nd pipe port?

ThAts exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Which way is best?

I'm guessing use the water pump port?