86 rough idle

stoopideric

I have gotten my 86 running now but I cannot get the idle to smooth out. I have done the ICS/TPS reset and everything went smoothly there but it still doesn't even out. I can unhook the vacuum hose from the distributor, MAP sensor or the PCV valve and it smooths out nicely at about 1200 rpm. Anyone have any ideas?

The spray looks pretty good even though they are aftermarket. It doesn't rev good either...it breaks up and sputters. Plugs, wires, cap, fuel pump and filters have all been replaced. I have rebuilt the motor and it has 120 psi on all 4 cylinders . I found the thread before that the guy I bought it from had started....he was having the same issue.

it should idle at 850 rpm.....not 1200...stream injectors will make a wet intake which is no good...mitsu made these injectors for this car only ..... ...they had too.. to get it to idle right.. the cone spray is how they get it to mix with the air and not have a wet intake.........360 motocam is parting a 86 get the 850 cc injectors from him or freebird on here has some ......THE gas is not mixing with the air.....6 months back I checked in to this and that what I came up with....

u need to get it running good with stock injectors first...... then up grade ......if u change to many things at once u will be chasing problems and its hard to get them sorted out If u can get th whole TBI 86 is one year only CYA .....

Edited by markhansenconquest

I have been out testing wiring all day when I made a discovery. One of the PO's has put an 87 ecu in my car. Now I know that you can convert them BUT I still have a 4 wire maf and 2 850cc injectors not to mention an 86 wire harness. I have started the car and even driven it. Is this possible with the wrong ecu? The tag on my door say Dec 85 so I know the car is an 86 and the ecu is a MD106394 which, according to my searching, is the part number for an 87 ecu.

did you try running the car without the mass air sensor plugged in?

Also the tps runs good at .5v or less not over .5v

if you have a leak in the intercooler piping, or leak at the blow off valve if you have one....all this can make the car run like crap.

It cut off when I unplugged the Maf. It runs pretty good for a few minutes the it gets really rich and stumbles at idle. I have to check the injector spray pattern I think I may have a squirter now covering the intake walls.

OK... So I was wrong about my car not running with the MAF unplugged...it WILL. It has a little hesitation but it is the best it has been since I got it running. Does this mean that the MAF is bad? The newest problem now is smoking....A LOT! The PO has removed the oil separator and put a filter on the VC. I have 120 psi compression on all four cylinders on a fresh rebuild. I have new pcv valve from the parts store so it may not be for a turbo. Every so often it clicks rapidly a few times.

I am gonna get the oem pcv from Dad and try out the BMW x5 separator

There is no oil on the output of the turbo so I don't think the seals are bad there. I was always under the impression that valve seals would smoke most at startup. And I said the BMW separator because its nearly impossible to find a stock one. Thanks for the help

all 86 car I have been around run without the maf

its not a bad sensor

its most likely a problem with ecu program...../???

Makes the engine bay look better witout that ugly mass can and crap anyways.

If you can put the pcv back to oem with the oil seperator.....you'd be better off.

But i dont see that making a smoke out the tail pipe issue. unless you have some part of the lines hooked into the air inlet of turbo?

It would blow oil all over the vc and the firewall and smoke back there......its a stupid mod and I dont agree with people doing it...I have taken 3 off and put back to oem already.

Does sound like turbo seals....maybe just be sure the turbo clamp is tight and drive it for a couple days and see if the smoke clears?

I do have these oem parts if you need them.

u dont have to remove the head to replace the valve seals..........use the rope trick...stuff 1/4 inch rope in the cyl that u are doing to keep the valves from droping into the cyl ...push rope it till its full...^^^^^^^^^^^^

AUTO ZONE LONER TOOL ....VALVE COMPRESSOR........

Edited by markhansenconquest

I pulled things apart today so that I can change the valve stem seals. I figured while I was standing there I would check the cam out. I measured 1.625 to 1.637 on the lobes. This out of spec for a stock cam. Is there an aftermarket cam that has specs similar to that? I will check it for markings the next time I am out there working on it.