Setting dizzy timing on TDC or 10BTDC?

Preludedude

once seated all the way and teeth are meshed together it should be pointing at #1

once the dizzy is seated and the teeth are meshed together with the CAM gear, the dizzy spins so that the dimple on the shaft near the dizzy gear the mark are not aligned.

There's what, 11 or 13 teeth on the dizzy gear? I forget, we'll say 12 because its easy. 720/12=60 degrees of crank rotation per tooth, 0 or 10 gets you the same position or it will be obvious. But the answer is set it to 0 and follow importwarriors and speedy's advice.

Just read the FSM and you will know for sure ---> www.starquestgarage.com

You must keep this ready to copy and paste...You repeat this daily...I understand why, but are you telling me you can read the FSM front to back and still understand it all? Sorry, but I cant...I sat last night and read for an hour before even posting my thread because I knew Id get this response...

Page 18 says "basic ignition timing is 10 BTDC"....but this thread here says set to 0 : http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=944

Thanks for your help friends....

timing mark on the crank should be at TDC.

If you have the vavle cover off,make sure the dowel pin hole on the cam gear is at 12:00 position.

line up the timing marks on the dizzy and make sure when you install the dizzy that the adjustment bolt on the head is centered in the adjustment hole on the dizzy

Jerry L.

I don't post that reply to be a jerk, I do it so that guys can learn to help themselves. I see where your coming from and your right, sometimes the FSM isn't very clear but the engine timing section of the FSM was written pretty well I personally thought. I'll have to go take a look at it again.