Lazy/Slow Tachometer...how to motivate it?

Coke

I've had tachometers in the past that have been a bit 'slow' to react, and kinda hang.....don't really keep the pace with the engine's actual speed. I know it's not normal because I have also had tachometers that are right on pace with engine rpm fluctuation. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix the tachometer to make it accurate quick again? I've already tried cleaning/inspecting the tachometer signal wire at the coil. It's definitely very clean...I even sanded the eyelet down and cleaned the coil post on re-assembly. I feel the problem is the tachometer itself. Sometimes when i shut my car off, the tachometer needle doesn't quite drop all the way down to '0'....and with a gentle flick of the finger against the cluster lense it drops to '0'. This tells me the tachometer could use cleaning inside, and/or lubricating if that's at all possible. Has anyone had a tachometer apart, and knows what causes this condition??

It's the needle catching, or the components behind it. Take it apart, clean it, apply some light oil.

-Robert

Well that's a start. I've never had a tachometer apart before. Can you elaborate a little bit, as far as what I should expect to see, and what comes apart, ect?

The tach needs the resistor in line to work properly. That's the little metal thing. That other wire only goes to the ECU it has nothing to do with the instrument cluster tach. There's two SEPARATE circuits, one for the ECU, one for the instrument cluster. When you hear someone say if your tach jumps that means the car must run if you spray fuel into the throttlebody, that's not true the ECU might still not see the tach signal.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...