10 replies to this topic

#1 fang988

fang988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:54 AM

Im still a noob. Sorry, it wont let me post in the noob section.
So i am about to purchase an 89 ECU, but i sudden'y remembered swapping this ECU will not be as easy as an 87. So i took the the forums ans found this post. http://www.starquest...howtopic=28050.
They talked about doing this swap but never answered some important questions. Will i need to get the 88-89 injectors? what kind of performance gains will this net? Is it worth it?  Can someone also explain what exactly was written down for the diagrams that were listed, they look like hieroglyphics on my device.

#2 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

I'm by no means an expert but here are my thoughts.

You will definitely need 87 or higher injectors if you switch to the 88-89 ecu. The reason for this is that 86 and earlier used two injectors that are the same size and they take turns firing. Later models use a small and large injector that turn on and off based on load and rpm.

As for what kind of performance gain you can expect, right off the bat not much. What swapping the ecu will do for you is give you better fuel maps. So if you will only be changing your wiring and ecu no you won't get a sudden improvement.

Lastly you need to understand that swapping from the 86 and earlier fuel setup and the newer 87+ setup isn't a simple matter of just swapping your ecu. The wiring harnesses differ, you will need wire in different sensors and modify your cars harness. Unless your comfortable with wiring and have a fair knowledge of the wiring diagrams of the car you will have quite the road ahead of you to finish this properly.

Whatever you decide good luck!

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#3 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

with the 86 ecu system you can only get about 12psi before you hit "fuel cut" but the 88-89 systems can get up around 18psi i believe so you would be able to run more boost so you would see a improvement that way. but 12psi is about what i would call the limits of a stock 12a turbo, maybe 15psi if you were at the track or something.

also with the 88-89 system you would be able to use a MAFT.
2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image
Professor Quest's S.O.S (save our starquest) Manuals: http://starquest.i-x...wforum.php?f=12
E.T. and Dyno Database: http://www.sqperformance.com/

#4 fang988

fang988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

So would getting an 87 - 89 wire harness solve most of the hassle?

#5 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:03 PM

Not really. Its a great start though because you'll need plugs and wiring from it.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#6 creakyjoints

creakyjoints

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:33 PM

MAP sensor for 86 I understand is no longer available. That is a very good reason to switch. You could also use 87 parts to do the same.
the dude in the honda said, i thought you said your car was slow, my response was.. well you said yours was fast so i guess we both lied.. haha

#7 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

Just go straight to a standalone, by the time you work out all the details you still have a prehistoric ECU that you can't tune and standalones have gotten very reasonable.  I sell them but if I didn't my advice would be the same and you certainly don't have to buy one from me.  Dealers are everywhere.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#8 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,813 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

you can get it from another source but if you get an aftermarket ECU from Scott you will get support from scott better then any other place.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#9 fang988

fang988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:48 PM

View Postscott87star, on 30 August 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

Just go straight to a standalone, by the time you work out all the details you still have a prehistoric ECU that you can't tune and standalones have gotten very reasonable.  I sell them but if I didn't my advice would be the same and you certainly don't have to buy one from me.  Dealers are everywhere.

Yeah, my plan was to get my car running right first. Use my MPI moddified stock intake mani with one of your kits and then upgrade that intake mani to another one some time in the future. What kind of work needs to be done to run one of your megaspuirt kits on an 86?

#10 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

Is your wiring in good shape?  I've done a couple of 86 plug and play systems.  It just changes where the IAT is pinned into the harness which is invisible to you.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#11 fang988

fang988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

Not sure. Ill contact you when i am financially able to move forward. (may be a while) I decided that i will just deal with the 86 ecu untill i am able to run MS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users