#1 button

button

Rest dummy with dial indicator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

On September Fifth of Two thousand seventeen, I bought a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited AWD with a bad head gasket on the 3.5L 6G74. The 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee I had been driving wasn't what I wanted. It didn't drive well, it didn't have many features, it got poor gas mileage. It was time to replace it and move forward.
Posted Image
I found this gem on craigslist about 20 miles from my house. This picture was taken right before the biggest hill of that Jeeps life. It's not a big hill by any means, but I found out the transmission had a failing pump or bad seals in it. I would up selling it about a week after this.
About 30 Minutes after rolling it off the trailer, I tore into it.
Posted Image
The timing belt had so much play in it that it jumped teeth when I pulled the timing covers off. The timing covers on the 6G74 can save the motors life.
Posted Image
Got 'er down to the bare essentials. Ordered the composite gaskets instead of the MLS, got a revised crank bolt, new water pump, timing tensioner, all the good stuff.
The heads were nasty. Just gross. You could tell it was 89 octane or less for the life of the vehicle on short trips with no spirited driving.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I took these pictures after cleaning up the worst ones.
I put all that back together, fired her up, and put some new tires on 'er.
Posted Image
Then proceeded to test the flex of an otherwise stock Montero.
It flexed more than a 3" lifted Jeep ZJ.
Posted Image
Then winter came, so I threw a winch on that I had sitting around.
Posted Image
THEN, mid-winter, I lost power to the front wheels.
Right before we got 12 inches of snow.
In AWD, it just made a grinding noise. In 4wd it powered the rear wheels. It also developed a fuel leak on the fuel tank. Dangerous and stinky.
So I let it set for the rest of winter. Finally the time came for me to diag and repair. In the mean time, I bought a parts montero for cheap. Tore everything out of it and scrapped the body.
After looking closer at it, after assuming it was tcase or front differential, I found out the front driver side axle hub splines got stripped out. DOH!
Posted Image
Luckily, I had a couple spares from this parts truck. Yay!
In the meantime, I upgraded the fan to an electric 2 speed Ford Taurus fan. I used 2 generic temperature relays off amazon.
https://www.amazon.c...hermostat relay
One 175-185, one 185-200. So now I have a big bad electric fan that works flawlessly so far.
Posted Image
And that brings us up to today. Back on the street, doing its thing. Ready for adventure again.
Posted Image

Edited by button, 13 August 2018 - 01:00 PM.

-Jay

#2 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:36 PM

Love it man!  Thanks for the pictures!
Engine
20 over forged pistons