Compression testing question

importwarrior

My instincts say yes it could affect the results. But I can't be 100% sure since I have never had a cracked head to test.

You can hook an air compressor to each cyl and pressurize them one by one. With the rad cap off you will see bubbles if the pressure is leaking into the cooling system through a HG or crack. If you don't see bubbles then you're probably good.

i'm not a car mechanic so i cannot say with any certainty.....but i do know physics and temperature..... it's conceivable to me that a crack may or may not leak depending on it's current temp due to expansion and contraction of the metal as it heats/cools

if you originally did a compression test with a cold engine....then maybe try a new test with an engine up to operating temp.......or vice versa

Thanks for the help. i believe the head is cracked and as you guys mention TEMP.

the temp is seems to change the cars performance as it warms up. it starts to smoke

morre when it is hot. i will have to repeat the test when hot.

Thanks again.

A compression check is unlikely to show a cracked head. This is why you must put the compressed air in the cylinders and put your ear to the open radiator cap to listen for the gurgling.

Like wise a compression check may not show a cracked ring land as the bad cylinder may only be down 5-10 psi. But the bad cylinder would show more leak down on a leak down tester and maybe a louder hissing from the removed oil cap in that cylinder.

Sadly it is possible to have multiply problems at the same time.

A cylinder consuming water will often show a white residue on the plug. And coolant would be disappearing from the radiator.

• 2 weeks later...

After doing some of the things listed above .... If you have a hunch as to what cylinder it is you can let the car sit overnight, pull the spark plug wire (leave the plug in) and crank the car over. If you have a bad enough coolant leak it will splash coolant up on the bottom of your plug. This is where your smoke comes from when you drive. If you don't know what cylinder you can also perform this test on each plug one at a time.

DISCLAIMER: If your leak is only happening when the motor is hot you may not get results.