Faulty ECU?

CarlosFley

Hey peeps, so I bought an 88-89 EVU a few months ago and just today got around to installing it. Well, ends up being that it will not idle properly since the swap. It oscillates between 1500 and 1k. It'll literally climb up to 1500, drop to 1k like fuel was just automatically cut off and as soon as it hits 1k climb right back up to 1500 and as soon as it hits 1500 drop directly back down to 1k and so on and so forth. I reset my TPS/ISC with no success whatsoever. I have the magic .50 volts between green/black and green/white, tuned just right, but still nothing. Swapped my 87 back in and she is perfectly fine. Sooo I'm guessing the ECU itself is shot? Idk, give me your thoughts. Thanks. Mods in my sig.

Bad ECU's are a rare animal, but I've come across a few over the years. Check the pins on the new ECU and clean them with a small wire brush, small fine file or a little piece of fine sandpaper. A little corrosion buildup on those pins, maybe from sitting on a shelf for a long time, will increase the resistance of the connection and that will cause the ECU to misread the sensors. Sometimes unplugging and replugging a bunch of times will accomplish the same thing as cleaning the terminals.

Bad ECU's are a rare animal, but I've come across a few over the years. Check the pins on the new ECU and clean them with a small wire brush, small fine file or a little piece of fine sandpaper. A little corrosion buildup on those pins, maybe from sitting on a shelf for a long time, will increase the resistance of the connection and that will cause the ECU to misread the sensors. Sometimes unplugging and replugging a bunch of times will accomplish the same thing as cleaning the terminals.

Hmm I might try that then