• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 armygreen11

armygreen11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 01:30 PM

Prof - I forgive you.  ;D Thanks for checking the pan part number. I'm going to email Mike at Rockville right now for a bunch of prices and availibility. I think I'll just focus on the input shaft bearing this weekend. It really sounds bad, and it's not getting better. My oil pressure, as low as it may be, isn't getting any worse. Besides, with my luck, it's GOING to take ALL weekend. I'll PM you when I'm ready to get that oil pump. Thanks.

#42 armygreen11

armygreen11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:56 AM

I'm not sure if I want to tackle that beast just yet. When I have the trans out, I'll pull the case off, and give things a look, but I'm not sure I'm up to the daunting task of rebuilding one yet. All those gears and keys and rings and bearings and springs... Blows my mind.

#43 Shelby

Shelby

Rookie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,164 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:10 PM

Army  this   thread is  good reading

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=566
Shelby trance's StarQuest i-x.net
86MightyMax89Tsi, MPi , 20g ;) (sold:( )
88TSI Silver
89TSI red auto

#44 armygreen11

armygreen11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 08:23 PM

Awesome, thanks Shelby. When I do all this, I'm going to try to remember my digital camera so I can take pics of the whole process. The FAQ section of this board is nice, but not as nice as the DSMer's www.vfaq.com . The writeups on that site are top notch, and have loads of pics to help with every step. When I had my talon, I spent many an hour just reading through different projects on there. After I take the pics, if someone with some html knowlege wants to put it all together on a page, I'll host it.

#45 armygreen11

armygreen11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 11:11 PM

Actually, I was talkin about taking pics of the timing chain stuff. That seems like CAKE compared to the trans. Where does one go about finding one of these so-called "cheap" new transmissions? smile.gif Right now I'm looking at about $200 for the rebuild kit, $100 for the press from harbor freight (that I'd have to keep at my Dad's or something) and whatever bearing splitters cost (whatever they are wink.gif)

#46 Professor Quest

Professor Quest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,987 posts
  • Interests:Damn Things TurboCharged!

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:19 PM

BTW.......pics of the "timing chain stuff" are are on the second address below. wink.gif

#47 T_sandman

T_sandman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:chuggin along

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:38 AM

Thanks you professor. The first post on page is much clearer now. I was looking at it before the edit going " ???". Now it makes more sense.

speaking of bek's. Do you use any sealant or epoxy on the "plug" when you install it? or just dry?

Thanks.

#48 stuart69427

stuart69427

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:15 PM

Just a little warning fellas.  I CANNOT stress enough on the TORQUE for the Balance Shaft Plug that goes on the Oil Pump.  Use an actual TORQUE wrench and use the Torque spec provided in the kit (It was listed in the kit I got from Dad)

Mine backed out and went through the timing cover only 100 miles after the kit was installed.   >:(

TIP:  Not sure if Proffessor mentioned it, but he at least told me that the oil pump can be pulled without pulling the pan and pickup tube, but haven't tried yet.  On my parts motor way back when on my 86 I couldn't get it off with the pickup still in...

I didn't have to remove the whole sway bar,  just remove the bolts holding the center bushings in the craddle and it hangs low enough to get the pan out.

I didnt have to raise the engine/tranny to get the pan out, it came out pretty easy manueving it out.

#49 Professor Quest

Professor Quest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,987 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:26 PM

The first two post have been modified to cover more details.  ;)

#50 conquestpa

conquestpa

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • Interests:everything is everything

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:20 AM

Quick question, when your just doing a timing chain replacement (no BSE), do you need the oil pump replacement shaft?
here
www.degicank.com - stop by!!!
www.geocities.com/conquestpa
degicank.com/quest/
87 Tsi, Non jet head, free mods, 14G, custom front end
89 Honduh Accord (for sale!)

#51 Professor Quest

Professor Quest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,987 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:14 PM

I'm not sure of what part you are speaking of. BTW.........removing the front cover a JUST replacing the timing chain and gears is a HUGE MISTAKE unless the BS components have already been replaced. But use the second addy below and select "Timing Chain" and "Balance Shafts & BSE"

#52 conquestpa

conquestpa

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • Interests:everything is everything

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:48 PM

OK another question here. So when you get all the chains and everything off, how do you make sure everything stays in the right timing such as the balance shaft? When your in there removing stuff like the gears, this things tend to spin  and move around... Perhaps this will be more clear to me when I start putting everything back together.

How close do you have to have the timing shaft? If its a couple of degrees off, is the car going to shake itself apart or worse?

Starting with everything together at TDC, The cam dowl pin should be at 12:00, the crank shaft key should be at 3:00 what about the balance shaft and oil pump? Does the oil pump gear position even matter?

Figured I would ask about this before I start putting this back together.
here
www.degicank.com - stop by!!!
www.geocities.com/conquestpa
degicank.com/quest/
87 Tsi, Non jet head, free mods, 14G, custom front end
89 Honduh Accord (for sale!)

#53 Professor Quest

Professor Quest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,987 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:06 PM

ALL gears have keyways.........and TIMING MARKS. EVERYTHING is assembled at TDC on the COMPRESSION STROKE. More pics at the second addy below......"Balance Shafts & BSE". & "Timing Chain" wink.gif

#54 Professor Quest

Professor Quest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,987 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:01 AM

:wink:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users