KO

This info was sent to me from adi2ude.

"This mod is for 86-89's I'm not sure if the wiring is the same on earlier

models.

It allows the use of your foglights with parking lights ONLY, you no longer

have to have the head lights on in order to have your fog lights :) I know

there are people that would like to do this and can't for one reason or

another.  The ONLY reason this wouldn't work on 86-89 LE, ES, TSi, or

ESi-R's is if someone previously dorked with your wiring.

1. Gather the necassary tools. Philips head screw driver, wire crimper,

electrical tape aka black tape, and a small 10-12 " peice of stranded wire.

Since you are using this only as a signal wire to the relay it can be a

pretty small wire.

2. Locate the foglight relay; it is located on the passenger side of the car

in front of the air can right underneth the horn and two other relays. I

found it MUCH easier when I removed the turbo to i/c pipe.

3. Locate the 10 gauge green wire.  Cut the wire where it enters the harness

to the rest of the car.  This should leave you with lotsa wire to work with.

Second, strip abotu 1/2" back on the wire or a little less depends on how

you plan on attaching the upcoming wire.

4. Pull the passenger side marker light out.  This requires a phillips head

screwdriver to remove two screws.  One on the marker light itself and one in

the far bottom (pass side) corner. Pull the light out.  To make it a bit

eaiser you can actually pull the light out of the marker housing.  There are

two wires here.  A green/white and a black.

5. Pulling the light out enough to reach the wires easily.  Take the G/W

wire and you can do several different things. I myself carefully cut a ring

in the sheath, and pulled back the insulation on each side. Thsi exposed

abotu 1/4"-1/2" of wire that was unmolested.  Take the peice of stranded

wire strip about 1/2" and wrap it around the bare wire you just exposed on

the G/W wire.  Tape the splice you just made.  (You can also solder it to

make it a better connection.  Also you can cut the wire strip both ends of

the G/W wire and tie it all together with a wire nut or somethign.  IMHO The

way I did it didn't take very long Was easier to do to then fighting with

gettign the stripper in far enough to strip the back wire.

6. Run the peice of wire you just tapped into the G/W wire through two hole

on the inside of the fender.

7. splice the wire you just ran through the fender to the green wire that

you stripped.  Make a nice secure connection tape it.

8. Install the lights and grill back into place.  Watch in amazement.  Looks

GREAT!!!!!!!!

http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/48/48916/folders/2</p><p> 6432/176148fogmod.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ok, new idea.

Whatcha think of this...

ok, you will need to run new wires to the foglight relay switch, OR run a new voltage trigger wire to the relay, which may be alot easier.

Then you run a wire from the radios "Memory" hot wire to the foglight switch.

You run the new wire to the "Voltage sensing" wire that feeds the relay from the switch.

You should now be able to run your foglights whenever you want. Keys in/out running/not.

Will you still have the flash to pass feature and be able to turn the fog lighs off with the switch in the dash?

Yes Bri-Guy You don't loose ANY correct normal function on the lights.

CHC... Yeah you can do that ... but first time you forget and leave them on somewhere.. your batt is going to be bone dead in a matter of hour or two. or shorter....plus it's going to take a LONG time where as the method that acts factory only takes about 60 seconds...

when you turn your parking lights on .. It is up to you wether or not to have your fogs on.  Because teh switch still works like it is supposed to.  Also when you turn you rhead lights on they work as they are suposed to and you still haev full function of the switch...  When you "Flash to pass"  Or turn your brights on in any way they turn off liek they are supposed to as well.

• 2 months later...
getting power from the parking light for the switch is a good idea. Also there are some people like CHC that wants to be able to turn them anytime he wants. Well the best way to do that then is wire the signal wire to the ignition wire under the dash so he'll have power going to signal wire long as he has the ingnition in the run or access. position. Then when you turn the key off. It shuts poer off to it. Then you no longer can forget to shut them off.

• 6 months later...

I did this mod, and prior to doing so I checked out the way mine would work.  The flash to pass feature  used the fogs as well as the hight beams.  Did the mod and lost the flash to pass feature but the fogs would stay on with the high beams.

Kinda want to have the best of both worlds, fogs on with parks and the flash to pass.

• 2 months later...
getting power from the parking light for the switch is a good idea. Also there are some people like CHC that wants to be able to turn them anytime he wants. Well the best way to do that then is wire the signal wire to the ignition wire under the dash so he'll have power going to signal wire long as he has the ingnition in the run or access. position. Then when you turn the key off. It shuts poer off to it. Then you no longer can forget to shut them off.

Very right, But instead of runnign that wire, Do me a favor adn save yoruself a bit of time... use the BLUE/WHITE fan wife instead... ;)  lot quicker.. and again it isn't enough current draw to hurt anythign  ;D

Next thing... I did.. I removed the secondary fan. (the fan that doesn't come on first in my car) .... COMPLETELY removed the fan itself, teh relay for it, and the harness runnign to the fan, But I cut down two wires, cause they ran to the fan and left two. The switched 12V hot adn the ground wire that was in the plug.  And that is running my EVC power as well as my gauge lighting.  Soon I am goign to be installign a relay somewhere... (definetly in cab) adn using the wire to turn on a relay so I can run more off it and have less wires runnign around to my engien compartment,...

Which has been reinstalled now...

;D

• 9 months later...

Not sure if it was just me or what, but just to clarify the new wire from the parking lights goes onto the green wire attached to the relay not going back into the harness.  I did it the other way first and it didnt work, go figure.  Hooked it up correctly and love the results.

Great Mod.

"Flash to pass" is when you pull back on the turn signal lever.  When used while the lights are down/off, the headlights will raise and the high-beams will turn on.  The lights will stay up for abut 2 seconds after you release the lever.  It's to get the attention of the car in front of you as you start to pass him...

Typically, fog lights are for driving in foggy conditions (brights are not used in foggy conditions).  However, I've got mine rigged to come on anytime the foglight button is pressed - I use them as daytime running lights; but I never have them on when the headlights are on...

Mike

What is the "flash to pass" feature, and why can we not have the foglights on when the brights are on? Thanks

Adam

i have my fogs wired into my park lights, so they come on when the park lights do.  then your fogs will come on with your brights.  hope this helps  :)

• 3 years later...

So wiring to the parking light as described in the first post will get the fogs to stay on with the high beams on?

What I want is regardless of headlight function, as long as the parking lights are on, the fogs are too.

BTW, I've never tried the flash to pass on my SQ...I'll try here in a few minutes to see how it works.

• 2 months later...
I did the mod and now my headlights come on in the down position when just my parking light switch is on?

Mine did the same thing, the headlights stay on in the down position when the parking lights are on, so the light hits the ground behind the spoiler, looks kinda funny. But I'd like to know how to correct it so only the foglights stay on with the parking lights.

-GCNTSi.

Mine did the same thing, the headlights stay on in the down position when the parking lights are on, so the light hits the ground behind the spoiler, looks kinda funny. But I'd like to know how to correct it so only the foglights stay on with the parking lights.

-GCNTSi.

Im not positive that its the problem, but really the only thing you couldve done wrong is spliced into the wrong wire. The one your supposed to tap into is green/white(green with white stripe). There are a few other green wires at the same spot so you have to been careful.

I just followed KO's original instructions and mine work just fine.

Here's how you make the "fogs on when button pressed" mod. Very easy - takes about 15 minutes.

1) At the fog light relay: Cut the GREEN wire and "T" it into the RED wire. Cap the GREEN wire at the wiring harness. (Page 8-62 of '88 Conquest Manual).

Before: post-5851-1212939128_thumb.jpg After: post-5851-1212939168_thumb.jpg

Enjoy!

Starquestpilot, does that keep them on if the key is out/ignition off? If so, I don't want that. But your diagram is great. Please clarify.

No, they will go off when the battery dies...you gotta remember to turn them off. At least that is the way mine work and he wired them :)

Jimmy