Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:47 AM

View Postucw458, on 03 June 2020 - 08:07 PM, said:

Yeah life just kept getting in the way of finishing it.  Too many projects.  But I'm finally getting to a point where I can get back to the SQ.  Might not happen till fall since work is keeping me busy right now.  No tuners anywhere near me.  I'm going to have to tow it 2-3 hours from here to get tuned.  I don't have anything to tow it with so that's an issue as well.

Just giving you crap. I wish i could just put a tune on mine.... hahaha
10.95@120mph  https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U
Built G54B, S364, R154, stock 6-bolt, fireballs

#22 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:59 PM

View PostFunky Phil, on 04 June 2020 - 08:47 AM, said:

Just giving you crap. I wish i could just put a tune on mine.... hahaha

Dude, I get on his case about it too!  :lol:   He's literally in the middle of no mans land, the nearest major city for him is a stretch.  Yeah, I wish my bucket of bolts I call a StarQuest would just need a tune.  I keep staring at it everytime I open my front door.  <_<

#23 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,700 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:19 PM

To be fair it needs a little bit more than a tune.  I need to replace the chinese WG, get new tires, battery and put a better muffler on it.  I'm gonna fix the input shaft play on my spare trans and put that in.  I'm thinking that may help the stock trans survive more hp.  Then change oil, trans, diff fluid and double check everything to make sure it's ready.  Then it can get tuned.  I'll likely get started on that stuff this summer so I can try to get it tuned this fall.  Just in time for winter snow to force me to store it again.
My 87
Posted Image

#24 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:52 AM

View Postucw458, on 04 June 2020 - 10:19 PM, said:

To be fair it needs a little bit more than a tune.  I need to replace the chinese WG, get new tires, battery and put a better muffler on it.  I'm gonna fix the input shaft play on my spare trans and put that in.  I'm thinking that may help the stock trans survive more hp.  Then change oil, trans, diff fluid and double check everything to make sure it's ready.  Then it can get tuned.  I'll likely get started on that stuff this summer so I can try to get it tuned this fall.  Just in time for winter snow to force me to store it again.

Get on it dude! You give the rest of us hope! :lol:   I've never driven an SQ in the snow, so I don't know how they handle.  My daughter has, she says it wasn't too bad, car is heavy and she had extra load on it, made it home just fine. She was just 17 years old when I gave her an 87 StarQuest to go off to college, she did well with it.

#25 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,700 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:08 PM

I'll likely end up getting track day tires again so snow driving would be tricky.  What I'm more worried about is the mag-chloride they put on the roads to melt the snow.  I do not want my SQ to start rusting away.
My 87
Posted Image

#26 ekstatixx

ekstatixx

The One And Only

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,771 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:21 PM

And Fantas "golden years" seem like yesterday to some of us.  he was just a kid back then.  I remember going to the dealership to buy parts and having the parts guys get mad when they had to break out the microfiche.  

The tep catalog that came on a 30 page stapled together printed document

Where are these cars going?  The same place as always. A handful stick with the old loyalists.  And every year a new owner finds one and blows it up sending it to the crusher.  I havent seen one on the road where I live in at least 5 years
89 MPI R04 Starion ESi-R--for sale
86 L05 Olive Grey Starion--RIP
87 B71 Atlantic Blue Conquest--for sale soon
90 Mighty Max Turbo project
Posted Image

#27 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:21 PM

The only one I ever saw since I was 17 was mine.

And man, you can't get anything at all from the dealer ever now.

#28 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:20 AM

View Posttux, on 29 June 2020 - 10:21 PM, said:

The only one I ever saw since I was 17 was mine.

And man, you can't get anything at all from the dealer ever now.

I noticed that too.  Mitsubishi has let us go.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#29 Contsis

Contsis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:47 AM

Proud original owner of an '87 Quest - I take it out most every weekend and enjoy it (still a nice running car).
Back and forth between to sell (during the week) and not to sell on the weekends when driving it.
It has one issue that may seal it's fate - it appears it needs a torque tube shaft/coupling which I don't know if I'll ever be able to source.
It's not noticeable unless you get on it and pop the clutch or hard driving. Talks here ablou a group purchase but doesn't seem to go anywhere.

#30 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:12 PM

The math is against us all at this point.

The cars themselves were never held in high regard by the public. They were Mitsubishis, and most people weren't (and still aren't) educated about why that mattered circa 1975-2005. They saw Mitsubishi on air conditioners, radios and the compressors in their refrigerators and thought this was just general, Japanese brand-X. Then you have the folks who will swear to you still that all this was, was a Chrysler-built precursor to the last Daytona. I still run into that argument a couple of times a year on Facebook and the person I end up arguing against is in their 20s, cocksure of themselves to the point of idiocy, and can't type a complete sentence without at least two "lol"s.

On top of that, they were not mass-marketed, they were overpriced and if we're being honest, they weren't particularly reliable versus the competition. Every time someone would stick them in a comparo article against Toyotas and Nissans, they'd win, but not by enough to create an aura that caused people to just have to have it, whatever the cost.

Now, all those factors work against us. I've seen daily drivable cars get parted out and then crushed, because the owners only cared about the dollars. Their right to do so, yes, but it still pisses me off. We're working with a small number of cars to begin with. The market favors the 3000GT as Mitsu's pinnacle, not this car. In a way, it reminds me of about 20-30 years ago when you could buy a Ferrari Mondial or 308GTB for less than $20k and get a fantastic car. A bunch of them got bought up for cheap, beat around, not maintained, etc., and now no one can find a decent example -- it's either all show queens or junk, nothing in between. Because not only did they have their own demons to fight, they weren't 328s or 512s or Testarossas and were thus unloved.

On top of all this, the end of the gasoline engine is upon us. The end of the manual transmission will come in the next decade. Both of these factors will have an effect on the parts aftermarket. And without delving too deeply into politics, if the United States ever lurches far enough left politically at the federal level, don't be surprised if you lose the right to even drive an old gas-powered car on public roads in the first place, in the name of climate change.

I'm 47 right now; if I were 18-20, I would not bother with these cars nor any other old one, if my goal was a long-term, multi-decade play. It would be a waste of money. I think a lot of people depending on a vintage car collection to fund their retirement could get caught  in a helluva trap if (when) the world finally turns against them. Even now I worry about whether I'm leaving my son something he can enjoy, or just an eventual burden to him. He sure loves my Conquest right now. His favorite thing to do with me is ride in that car.

It's also hard to deal with for me because I was most active around here during what is largely accepted as the high point of StarQuest ownership (I would argue it was 2003-2011). So I remember those times vividly. Those days will never come again; we're not making any more StarQuests, and the ones we have, almost demand to be motor-swapped for long-term reliability and modern performance. Meet attendance is hanging in there, but not really expanding. And if we're really about to see values go skyrocketing up, the first thing that will do is put the common man out of the game. I'm in several Jaguar clubs, and while there are some very nice people in those clubs, if you post a lot of technical questions, you are usually encouraged to fix the problem with a checkbook. If you can't afford to do it that way, well, maybe you're not fit to own the car in the first place. The best aspects of this group have always been its ingenuity and willingness to help others.

Do I sound down about it? Yeah, I am. But that's life in general. Nothing stays young forever. No one gets out in the end. And you can't drive your StarQuest to the seat of judgment and beyond.

Jess
Current denizens of the garage:
'88 Conquest TSi
'10 Jaguar XF Premium Portfolio
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6
---
In the rearview mirror:
'87 Starion (black), '88 Conquest TSi (black), '88 Conquest TSi (Durban), '88 Jaguar XJS V12, '76 Jaguar XJ12L, '88 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, '99 Jaguar XJ8, '98 Jaguar XK8, '03 Jaguar S-Type, '85 Jaguar XJ6 '88 Galant Sigma, '90 Ford Taurus SHO, '75 Bricklin SV-1, '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

SQCBannerSig2

#31 damageinc86

damageinc86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:25 AM

A bleak picture is painted,...but I think we might be able to survive.  Not prevail,...but survive for a little while longer.  I get so many smiles and conversations while I'm out and about.  There still might be enough interest.

Edited by damageinc86, 09 July 2020 - 12:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users