Speedometer

hueflop

My speedometer also doesnt work, I have done basic things to try and fix it. Look on the left side of your transmission, there should be a black cord going into it with a screwing cap see if the speedo cable is even in there. Also check it its plugged into the backside of your gauge on the dash. If it is pull it out a little and see if its greased good. This is far as Ive gotten into troubleshooting but Ive also been told to stick something in my speedo gauge and see if I can move the dial. After that I probably have to take apart the transmission side of the cable(called a pulse generator I believe).

Unscrew the speedo cable from the drivers side of the tranny. Check the "key" that mounts onto the cable within the bowden tube. Have a friend sit in and watch the gauge for movement while turning the cable by hand or better a battery powerd drill. No gauge movement or cable hard or impossible to turn? Then remove the gauge housing 4 screws(philips) and unplug 2 wire couplings for headlights and hazards. Use 8mm deep socket to remove 2 gauge nuts and 2 philips screws and pull cluster out about an inch. Looking through windshield while reaching behind cluster remove large speedocable blue clamp. Pull cluster out enough to unhook 2 more wire couplings. Remove cluster and use a power drill or screw driver by hand insert into back of speedo and spin, if the speedo shows mph then the gauge is good. Reconnect cable to tranny and drive around the block without the gauge cluster installed, see if speedo cable spins..

Parts catalogs

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124270

Cable P#MB183886 ($34.50)

Parts Manual "Group 21M" Figure 21M-700 Part #20 second

Speedo tranny sleeve assembly P#MD705423 ($42.30)

Parts Manual "Group 21M" Figure 21M-700 part #12 second

Mitsubishiparts.net

Gauge bad?

Whoever can sell you one.

Edited by koulbreeze

• 1 year later...
It could be if someone took the speedo cable off recently it's not aligned in the trans correctly. When checking it down at the trans as described above make sure you can't spin by hand with it engaged. If you can, it's not positioned in the trans properly. It's actually off center a bit, so the teeth need to engage. If that's the problem you'll have to take of the black U shaped bracket holding it in (10mm I believe) and turn it until it engages. You'll feel it. Make sure you do it with the back of the car up in the air and don't pull the speedo out all the way or you'll end up with a face full of trans fluid. If the speedo hasn't been removed at all, then it's probably just one of the other 2 problems already described.