The ORIGINAL Big Brake KIT ( Clearence Sale )

Oscar_the_Grouch

Hello all

As you may have noticed I have been out of the scene for quite some time and all was due to family/work matters. I will be back a bit more often as I am clearing out all StarQuest related items I have unsold. Its too much to handle on a weekly basis so I am OUT.

In the next few days/weeks I will be posting what I have available and how many left. Most of these are NOS ( New Old Stock ) I will NOT be making any new items or re-runs of any of the custom parts. So once these are gone thats it, at least from me anyways.

In this post I am clearing out my BIG BRAKE KITS

There are 8 out of 9 kits available TODAY

KIT Price is $455.00 Shipped

Brakes as seen through OEM Wheels ( Old Cast Calipers )

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/Oscar-the-Grouch/2007986222_5a33154101.jpg

Brakes as seen though Aftermarket Wheels ( Art's car ) (New Forged Calipers)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/Oscar-the-Grouch/2007196301_0eb15448ef.jpg

This KIT was designed by me and engineered by a Custom Brake Company in Oregon called "Prescision Brakes Company" that specializes in Custom Brake kits for a huge range of cars. All brackets are precision laser cut steel and powder coated for extended service life, made in the USA. So this is NOT a CHEAP home made KIT but it still does NOT carry a DOT rating as that is major money and testing by a DOT lab, so all these KITS are sold as "Off Road USE ONLY". I still have the original prototype in my car and its been faithful to me for aprox. 5 years with no issues and yes its driven on a regular basis and put about 8K miles a year on it.

Remember just because the kit uses OEM parts from another car does NOT make it DOT approved/legal. The parts MUST be tested by a DOT lab in the car being used on. As soon as the parts are used in another application the DOT rating is void.

The specifics are listed bellow.

Please read the FAQ's bellow and If you still have any questions please ask.

Quick FAQ's

Q- What does the KIT includes ? What do I get for my $455.00 ?

A- (See pics bellow) it includes all custom brackets, spacers, hardware, Front Brake lines, full detail set of instruction and part numbers for all universal parts needed to complete the KIT. All brackets you see in BLACK are powder coated.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/Oscar-the-Grouch/20.jpg http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/Oscar-the-Grouch/2007969724_222d81cad9.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/Oscar-the-Grouch/2007173733_54a68b6d59.jpg http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/Oscar-the-Grouch/2007970442_1afeeeeb33.jpg

More pics and installation progress pics at the link bellow:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20546198@N02/...157603154035897

Wilwood Caliper options:

4 Piston Caliper:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/Oscar-the-Grouch/fsl_big.jpg

Comparison of OEM vs NEW Big Brake parts:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/Oscar-the-Grouch/Calipers1.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/Oscar-the-Grouch/pads1.jpg

Q- Will these fit/work with OEM wheels ?

A- YES all 5 bolt wide body models

Q- Do I need to modify anything to install the kit ?

A- NO, this is a COMPLETE BOLT-ON. No cutting welding or hacking off your car. You can always go back to OEM if you choose to do so.

Q- Any test data on this KIT ?

A- Yes I tested the prototype which is the kit I currently have on my car and all the info and test data will be listed bellow shortly.

Q- What calipers does the kit use ?

A- The kit is designed to use either a 4 or a 6 piston Wilwood caliper. Wilwood 4 Piston sell for $160ea 6 Pistons sell for $350ea. I can offer my discount if you want me to get them for you. I can offer the 4 pistons for $140.00ea.

Q- What rotors does it use and will they be readily available ?

A- The KIT uses BWM 740i rotors these are and will be available for a long time. Price range with rotor options and brands ( Plain, Drilled, Slotted, Drilled/Slotted ) $60-$200 I suggest to go to "Race Concepts" for these as they can re-drill for Mitsu lug pattern and will save you the trouble of doing it yourself later.

Q- What brake pads are available?

A- There are a TON of compounds ranging from $50 to over $300 a set. Street to FULL race and anything in between. A nice set will run you $80.00 this is a new compound from Wilwood that is both street and track friendly.

Q- Why not include all the parts ?

A- This way its affordable for anyone. Buy the main kit now and buy the calipers rotors and pads later as budget allows. I provide ALL part numbers and were to get these universal parts. ALL parts NOT included in the kit are UNIVERSAL parts that are and will be available for a long time. Also this allows you to save money on shipping by buying locally and also saves you the price markup of a third party. So hunt your own best deal and save more. Also this is a way to sell the kit without liability. A complete KIT carries liability but if its sold in pieces or sold as PARTIAL it does NOT have any liability. AGAIN guys this is NOT DOT legal and sold as OFF-Road use ONLY.

Q- How many kits have you sold ?

A- I believe there are aprox. 35 kits out there. Including some sent overseas to UK, Australia, Ireland, USVI, Puerto Rico, HI, Mexico and plenty here in the US.

This is what you will end up with after all parts are pourchased

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/Oscar-the-Grouch/BIG-BrakeKIT.jpg

If you have any questions not listed or answered above please don't hesitate to ask.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEST DATA

PLEASE note the driving condition ,tires, wheel size and take all of that into consideration as you WILL experience DIFFERENT results as ALL of these factors are taken into effect.

UN-CONTROLLED PARAMETERS:

Day------------------------------Dry Sunny no clouds (CENTRAL CA SUMMER DAY)

Humidity------------------------37%

Ambient Temp-----------------101 Deg.F

Road Surface Temp.----------123 Deg.

Road Surface------------------Newly Paved Asphalt Semi-Smooth no loose gravel

CONTROLLED Equipment:

Wheels------------------------16x8 ( Fronts )

Tires----------------------------Yoks. AVS Intermedeate w/ 1/2 tread left.

Brake fluid---------------------Valvoline Synthetic DOT 5

Driver-------------------------- 6-3" 220 lbs

Fuel tank----------------------1/2 Tank ( Aprox. 9 gls.)

Brakes pads and rotors warmed for 15 min. of NORMAL street braking.

TEST Results:

OEM w/ABS removed

OEM Brake System with Semi-Metalic NAPA pads 1/2 way worn

OEM Rotors with aprox 95k miles on them.

60-0 Braking ---------------- Average 126ft +/- 2ft

NOTE: This is the average of the best 3 of 5 braking runs,by NOT allowing wheels to lock up.

BEST-----121ft WORST----------134ft

--------------------------------------------------------------------

BIG BRAKE KIT

( NO Proportioning valve. A Prop Valve would have yielded better results )

Prescision Brake System with Hawk STREET pads,w/ Brembo slotted rotors.

60-0 Braking---------------- Average 108ft +/- 2ft

NOTE: This is the average of the best 5 of 10 braking runs, by NOT allowing wheels to lock up.

BEST-----99ft WORST----------112ft

NOTE: Hawk STREET brake pads started to show some fade after the 10th "Panic Stop"

Better pads or even race pads, better gripping tires and a proportioning valve will yield even shorter stopping distances

Edited by Oscar_the_Grouch

Dibbs on a 2 sets of upper and lower fuel lines,

2 turbo oil return lines and

2 sets of injector clips.

Oscar, I was wondering if you have any information on the overall response of the new braking system. For example how is the pedal feel. Does the foot brake feel firm or is soft. What ever information you can provide would be help in making a decision. Also are the rotors large and if so, how much? Thanks

Oscar, I was wondering if you have any information on the overall response of the new braking system. For example how is the pedal feel. Does the foot brake feel firm or is soft. What ever information you can provide would be help in making a decision. Also are the rotors large and if so, how much? Thanks

I've been running Oscar's kit for better than 2 years now. I did an ABS elimination at the same time. The pedal feel in my car is very firm. I bought a pad compund that's a bit too aggressive for street and the brakes are a bit noisy, but that's simply my compound choice. I bought the cheaper Brembo plain rotors (not slotted/drilled) and the braking is rediculous compared to stock. YOU WILL WANT A PROPORTIONING VALVE!!! Moderate pressure will lock the front tires. By piecing this kit together myself, I have right around $800 total in it. I found a set of Wilwood pads on Ebay for super cheap and Wilwood 4-Piston Forged Superlite calipers for $125 each. My rotors were like $60 for the pair from Ebay and it cost $40 to have them drilled. I have zero complaints about this system. While I haven't logged alot of miles in the past 2 years, this system has been hammered on the Tail of the Dragon on a couple of occasions by me with fantastic results. With my pad choice, there appears to be no fade no matter how hard I push them. There are a few members on here who have ridden with me and can vouch for the stopping power of this system (Bad2Rass, Pagemo, PureInsanity come to mind). I'm pretty sure all 3 were shaking by the time they got out :driving: There's also several members who almost ended up int he ditch trying to keep up on the Dragon (Bad2Rass was in this category too :hmm3grin2orange: ). I can brake MUCH deeper in turns than I could in any of my stock brake system Starquests.

Edited by jonboyb

Hello

I have yet to locate the data on the actual test but I will get it and post it here as soon as I find it.

As for rotor size its a HAIR under 12" (11.95") so its technically a 12" rotor vs the OEM 10".

As for response the new caliper choice is better and more presice. But a proportioning valve IS RECOMMENDED.

I can provide you or anyone here with a Wilwood proportioning valve and line KIT to go with the Big Brake KIT but it will not be a quick turnaround. I do not have any in stock and it takes time to get all parts and get all assembled. I can tell you what to get and they you can go out and make it yourself but remember guys.... these are your BRAKES if you are not comfortable working on brakes or if you are not familiar I strongly suggest you dont mess with it and leave it to some one who's more experienced.

An ABS line is also a good addition to the KIT as well.

The older type calipers had a bit of a mooshy pedal feel at start up but it went away as soon as you made a few stops and got pressure in the system, like a "Warm up lap" after that it was good to go. This is NOW resolved with the use of another caliper with smaller pistons.

REMEMBER you will have to get used to the brakes as there's plenty more BITE than OEM and it can catch you off guard very easily. Same goes if you drive a car with this KIT and then get into one without it you WILL rear end someone if you are not paying attention and think you have enough room to stop. ( Personal Experience so BE CAREFUL !)

Thank you " jonboyb " for the feedback on the kit.

Glad to see you are enjoying that "Late Braking" as much as I am.

All that has been said is TRUE so take this into account PLEASE.

Dibbs on a 2 sets of upper and lower fuel lines,

2 turbo oil return lines and

2 sets of injector clips.

I will post what I have left and whats easily accessable but the LOWER fuel lines may be the ONLY ones NOT available due to cores and time. If you have cores for the LOWER lines I can try and get them done for you.

So, the $455 is just for some brackets?

Or does that include the calipers and rotors as well...

You picture above says the complete kit is $455 and shows everything... so does that mean the complete kit for $455?

Sorry for the confusion...

The pic above with ALL is the "Complete Big Brake Set-up" NOT the KIT.

To avoid further confusion I will edit the post now.

Thanks

OTG

Q- What does the KIT includes ?

A- (See pics bellow) it includes all custom brackets, spacers, hardware and Front Brake lines.

Also this is a way to sell the kit without liability. A complete KIT carries liability but if its sold in pieces or sold as PARTIAL it does NOT have any liability.

Test data has been posted on the first post AND bellow as well.

Thank you for your patience

TEST DATA

PLEASE note the driving condition ,tires, wheel size and take all of that into consideration as you WILL experience DIFFERENT results as ALL of these factors are taken into effect.

UN-CONTROLLED PARAMETERS:

Day------------------------------Dry Sunny no clouds (CENTRAL CA SUMMER DAY)

Humidity------------------------37%

Ambient Temp-----------------101 Deg.F

Road Surface Temp.----------123 Deg.

Road Surface------------------Newly Paved Asphalt Semi-Smooth no loose gravel

CONTROLLED Equipment:

Wheels------------------------16x8 ( Fronts )

Tires----------------------------Yoks. AVS Intermedeate w/ 1/2 tread left.

Brake fluid---------------------Valvoline Synthetic DOT 5

Driver-------------------------- 6-3" 220 lbs

Fuel tank----------------------1/2 Tank ( Aprox. 9 gls.)

Brakes pads and rotors warmed for 15 min. of NORMAL street braking.

TEST Results:

OEM w/ABS removed

OEM Brake System with Semi-Metalic NAPA pads 1/2 way worn

OEM Rotors with aprox 95k miles on them.

60-0 Braking ---------------- Average 126ft +/- 2ft

NOTE: This is the average of the best 3 of 5 braking runs,by NOT allowing wheels to lock up.

BEST-----121ft WORST----------134ft

--------------------------------------------------------------------

BIG BRAKE KIT

( NO Proportioning valve. A Prop Valve would have yielded better results )

Prescision Brake System with Hawk STREET pads,w/ Brembo slotted rotors.

60-0 Braking---------------- Average 108ft +/- 2ft

NOTE: This is the average of the best 5 of 10 braking runs, by NOT allowing wheels to lock up.

BEST-----99ft WORST----------112ft

NOTE: Hawk STREET brake pads started to show some fade after the 10th "Panic Stop"

Better pads or even race pads, better gripping tires and a proportioning valve will yield even shorter stopping distances

how 'bout the install data. I'm sure I could figure it out but I can't find it. Finally have all the parts I need. Installing soon.

Chip

If you can open and access a MS Word Document I can send you an e-mail with it.

If this is good with you send me a PM with your e-mail address.

And YES you guys WILL need instructions as there are a few KEY things you need to MAKE SURE are done properly.

AGAIN guys these are BRAKES don't mess with them if you are not comfortable or they'll mess with you.

Thanks

OTG

How much is the complete kit for the lazy people.

I don't think oscar wants to bother with it but now that I have a local guy who can do the rotor modification and I've done the research on the best street strip brake pads and have a good supplier for calipers, I can assemble the parts needed to complete the kit and ship it all to you for $670. After shipping that comes to about $70 for my time and gas back and forth from the machine shop that does the work. By being lazy you pay shipping twice on everything too.

I had a set some time ago, I modified my BMW rotors with a rotary file at home. The center of the rotor is hubcentric so you dont' need to worry about it being propeprly aligned on the studs. Just grind untill they fit, took me 20-30 minutes.

I now have a milling machine with a rotary table, it's real easy that way, takes 3 or 4 minutes.

How much is the complete kit for the lazy people.

Bud...

I can get all you need but it will cost you more that what you need to spend.

ROTORS

The rotors can be had from ANYWHERE, any parts store will carry rotors even Evil-Bay they are everyday BMW Rotors. Price will vary on your choice of rotor brands and either drilled, slotted both or plain. Too many choices to set flat price. Then the re-drilling of the stud holes, this ranges from $10 to $50 for the set locally to me.

PADS

Same deal... too many choices. decide what you want and then get the pad for your style driving or system use. I have three sets of pads for my own kit. Street, AutoX and Road Corse pads. There are like 5 manufactures and each one with like 6-9 compounds each from mild to wild. Again too many choices to se fixed price.

CALIPERS

You can go USED from EvilBay ( NOT RECOMMENDED ) most EvilBay used calipers are old outdated RACE USED calipers. GO NEW unless you know for SURE its history. I offer these at MY COST to anyone who needs them.

So.... the complete KIT can be completed for as little as $775.00 ( used calipers Cheap eBay PLAIN rotors, cheap street pads ) and as high $1600.00 ( Brembo Drilled and slotted rotors, Race pads and 6 Piston Calipers )

This is why the universal parts are left up the individual as everyone is different and has different needs.

So to answer your question....

Q- How much is the complete kit for the lazy people.

A- Between $775.00 and $1600.00 (See above) I can quote a price for you but I will need to know what you want and time will be a factor as well as all this takes time to get from different places.

Thanks

OTG

Oscar,are the spacers needed to clear the calipers with the stock wheels? The reason I ask is because I run aftermarket 18" wheels that should clear big calipers. I also don't want the rims to extend outward any more to keep a clean look. Just incase, how thick are the spacers? Thanks!

Oscar,are the spacers needed to clear the calipers with the stock wheels? The reason I ask is because I run aftermarket 18" wheels that should clear big calipers. I also don't want the rims to extend outward any more to keep a clean look. Just incase, how thick are the spacers? Thanks!

Hello Hotrod

The spacers are needed for Rotor to OEM hardware clearance and caliper centering NOT for wheel clearance.

The spacer is a HAIR under 1/4"

Thanks

OTG

• 3 weeks later...

Hello gang

This is Amber and I am Oscar's GF and I am posting on his behalf for now.

Oscar mentioned that you guys were possibly gathering up the passe and rounding up the horses along with pitchforks and burning touches and making your way up to Cen-Cal so he asked me to post something as he cannot at this time.

First, the reason for his absence is that he was in an accident at work were he fell off a scaffolding rig when it gave way during a location shoot near Bass Lake 15 days ago. He suffered a broken arm and a concussion. I was away myself on a shoot and did not found out till yesterday when I came back home. (The fool never told me so I found out from our answering machine were the hospital had left a message... long story... anyways) We came back home last night after I went to pick him up at the local Hospital near Yosemite. He asked me, well mumbled something about you guys and the possibility of some bad rap in the air so thats why I am here to try to smooth things over.

I am going through his "OUT BOX" and see all the orders pending shipment and I will take care of it this evening. Since his e-mail inbox has over 300 new e-mails I will not reply to them as I don't know any of you and I am not too familiar with any of the "Deals" he made with any of you. Instead I will use the e-mail address in the pay-pal account you used to pay or in the note with your money order you sent in ( I see a few of those ) he left notes on some of the payments so i will be following those as well. Lucky for me he labels everything so it will be hard to send the wrong part.

I have a lot to do so thats all for now.

BTW

He's OK but still not 100%. He's very medicated and makes less sense than normal but asides from that he's fine. Please when you get your order e-mail him and tell him wether all was correct. I will ship most if not all of it priority mail from the post office as I don't know who paid for ground or fast so all of you are getting priority mail, besides I do not know his DHL account or password. You may get the parts before you get a tracking number from me but I will try to send it to you. I will keep record of what was sent to who so don't try anything I may have been born at night but not last night. I am only saying this because I see the replies here and what's being said as well as a ton of e-mails so I am just making it clear.

Thank you guys and I hope you guys are not this mean and plain old disgruntled all the time specially with him. No one talks s*** about my man without getting all the facts first. Or believe me I will make him sell, donate or plain old junk all 3 of his cars and garage full of crap and do without all of you. I never liked the cars but its what makes him happy so I support him but if it comes to this, the "Russian complain" will come out in me and I will have a saying in it. =P The last thing he needs is this specially after all the years he has been around.

Okay enough of my whining. =P

bye bye

Amber

• 2 weeks later...

Oscar,

Sent you a PM, but got no response. I'm interested in a Big Brake Kit and Front Camber adjusters...how many do you have left. I travel to Bakersfield often on business....if you're in Fresno, I could pickup since it's only about an hour north. When you get a chance, can you PM a price picked up (if that is an available option)?

Thanks,

John