Keeping your Starquest Cooler....

KO

Here are some things you can do to keep your car running cooler.

1. Get your radiator rodded, usually $40-$50. Your radiator is over 12 years old and it's probably nasty.  

Rod Out - Rodding out a radiator means to remove usually one or more tanks from a radiator and to insert a flat rod, which is smaller than the width of the tube, into the tube by pushing that rod through until it comes out the other side of the radiator or core.This is done repeatedly through all the tubes in the radiator.  The purpose is to try and free up or unclog the radiator.  This will result in a better flow of coolant once the radiator is assembled again. (definition from [url http://www.radiatorinfo.com/glossary.html[/url]

2. Change the thermostat to a 180 degree Robert Shaw Generation 2.  

3. During the Summer run 60/40 Water to Anti Freeze along with 2 bottles of Redline Water Wetter. Some run more like 80/20 Water to Anti Freeze, just make sure you have anti freeze as it is an anti corrosive. Distilled water is a good idea instead of tap water because tap water build mineral deposits, etc. more quickly.

3. Make sure both fans are running, you shouldn't be able to see the individual fan blades while they are turning, they should be spinning like crazy! You can also wire the primary and secondary fans to the 180 degree thermosensor under the primary fan. Both fans come on at 180 instead of waiting until 210 degrees for both to come on.

4. Check the primary catalytic convertor for clogging, if your convertors are clogged they will choke the turbo and cause the car to run hotter, not to mention kill your turbo. Do your car a favor and hollow them out or at least get new hi flow convertors if you are worried about emissions.

5. Replace any swelling hoses.

6. Get a new radiator cap (often overlooked)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you haven't found water wetter yet. You need to go to any speed shop

in town. There are even better alternatives that the BIG dogs use.

Cost will be and shouldnt exceed 9.00 max

Big dog stuff is around 23.00

Good luck, if you do what KOs' post says ur golden!

• 3 weeks later...

yea i thought so to.

at first i was very skeptical but then tried it just to see if it would work and it did.

so as soon as my car is back from the shop im putting in the 40bellow into it again after i flush my system.

also going to buy the same for my breaks, and power steering.

the solutions for breaks and steering are susposed to stop minor leaks as well so theres another goodie.

but i would recommend it to anyone and will from now on keep on using it.

try it out, 25 bucks isent all that expensive for how well it cools i think

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

im pretty sure the brand 40 below is only for the rad.

but then you can get other ones that are like 28 below for your breaks, transmission, and power steering... might have it for the oil but not sure.

i do belive the directions for how to add it to each are on the bottles.

• 5 weeks later...
I put 40 below in my oil and it actually made the car run cooler.. I was amazed at the difference.. its getting cold here so i am not going to put it in the rad yet but i am impressed with their product so far.. and i figure cooler oil can only help!!

• 2 weeks later...

here is one for ya. i put a aditional heater core in my nissan turbo car. it is between the inlet at the firewall for the heater and the engine. i put a little crossover on so it bypasses in the winter so the heater get hot quick. put the heater core in a little cage down bt the subframe so it gets some air.

will try it in my starion soon as i get a suitable heater core

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
ok well a while back i gutted my pre-cat and also gutted the whole back of my car from behind the drivers seat back... having a hell of a time staying warm in my car lol... since the precat is gutted even on hot days my car dosent warm up to much... would be great if i was in FL or TX...

• 1 month later...

I got a mechanical fan and shroud for a montero, and it keeps my engine running cooler than ever.  It pulls an insane amount of air thru the front of the radiator...more than I ever thought.  Its also got a real mean sound at high rpm; a great upgrade to never worry about overheating again.

-MoJ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

hey whats up.

I was wondering what radiator you have and if it required any modifacations or custom brackets to work.  did it cost much??? i am looking to options now and was wondering.

thanks,

-Nick

• 7 months later...

I personally dont like the idea of running a cooler thermostat than stock. increased cooling copacity is great via a larger radiator or better fan to keep extra heat off from larger turbo's and harder driving, but you have to remember that an engine needs a certian amount of heat to operate, it has to read a certian temperature to maintian or even enable closed loop operation. this is just my 2 cents anyway :)

Shawn