slowquest

Maybe someday, I'll be FastQuest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

View PostCaliber308, on 22 July 2011 - 09:28 PM, said:

Thanks Robert. I posted this prior to reading your post above.

1987 Starion Factory Service Manual Volume no.1 Section 0-6 Recommended Lubricants:

Manual Transmission: API classification GL-4 or "HIGHER" ;)

Rear Axle (Limited Slip Differential): Mitsubishi Genuine Gear Oil Part no.8149630EX or "EQUIVALENT"  ;)

Any Gear oil that is recommended for use in a Limited Slip Differential will do.Equivalent means you don't have to use just Mitsubishis choice.I don't.

Bill

GL5 is specifically mentioned as a NO-NO in this TSB from Mitsu in 93, well after the service manual was published. If GL5 was ok to use, why did they spec 2 DIFFERENT fluids for the trans and rear end? Wouldn't they have saved a bunch of money and time by using the same drum to fill them both?

Posted Image

#22 88FIJIQUEST

88FIJIQUEST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Autocross, gymnastics, racing
  • Model:Other

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:15 AM

^nice find
1988 Conquest Tsi Durban - ~180k on chassis, JE Pistons, prepped rods, BSE, non-JV head, mech. fan) - SOLD
1988 Conquest Tsi Fiji Blue - SOLD

#23 Komeuppance

Komeuppance

Amused.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,589 posts
  • Interests:Starions, and Starion accessories
  • Model:Starion

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

1993 is when that TSB was issued.  It was found that yellow metals were damaged by high sulfur content, but at 250F and above.  Modern GL5's use inactive or buffered sulfur and will not damage synchros.  Many manufacturers are issuing TSB's that spec GL5(vs previous GL4 spec) because GL4 is becoming less and less available (and probably due to the high volume of inquiries on the matter haha).

Each classification uses different amounts of EP additive (Extreme Pressure additive), a GL4 will use about half the amount of EP additive that a GL5.  EP additives contain the elements(sulfur) found to be corrosive to yellow metals.

GL4 and GL5 have different friction modifiers depending on their designed use.  A GL4 will be designed for optimum syncromesh engagement.

With that said, a modern GL5 will not destroy your transmission, but it may not be optimal for shifting smoothness.

-Robert

Posted Image

#24 Caliber308

Caliber308

Addicted Starquester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,923 posts
  • Interests:Precision rifle shooting, Starquests, Sexy women.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

I have been using GL-5 80/90wt gear oil in my Starion Manual Transmission for 22 years without a failure. Yes, I change it every 30,000 miles. And since purchasing the car in 1989, I have put 116,000 miles on it.. So, that is almost 4 Manual Transmission Gear oil changes over the past 22 years. I never saw any shavings or metal pieces come out of the drain plug.Longevity on a Manual Transmission  using a certain type of Gear oil is what I look at. If it has worked this long on my Starion....Why change things now? But, you all can do as you please. I know what has worked on my Starion and I will not be changing anything ;) We, as long term Starquest owners can only advise you from our experience and research  when you ask for our advice. What you do with it from there on out is entirely up to you.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308, 19 August 2011 - 07:27 PM.

87 ESI-R: J.E.s 8 to 1 .040 over, Tims roller cam, Roller rockers,Marnal Head(ported and polished) Scheider HD valvesprings, SS Valves,Zero bal,TDO5H 17 C, K.V., OVC HP, Turbo X/S RFL, Aeromotive FPR, 950/1150 injectors, Walbro , MAF-T, AEM UEGO, Summit dig. CD Ignition. box , Mallory 67k coil,D2s.

#25 slowquest

slowquest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Just to clarify, I'm not saying to never use GL5. I'm simply stating that I will only use GL4, I have never had an issue using GL4, and the latest TSB I can find says to only use GL4, never GL5.

In my experience, having bought many of these cars, changing whatever fluid is in the transmission to DiaQueen trans fluid has helped every single one. The only car I currently have that is not DiaQueen is the ShelbyQuest I bought off of Bryan (CyberQuest) and when he installed one of my spares while he still owned the car, I specifically told him that he could use the trans, but ONLY if he used a GL4 fluid. He had used auto trans fluid in every other StarQuest trans he had because of the softer shifting. He went through more than one trans on this particular car, and was running low 14, high 13 second 1/4 mile times with it. With my trans and the GL4 fluid, I've run mid-high 12's (along with some other mods, but still nothing changed with the trans other than the clutch) and once ran a mid 11 (on ALOT of nitrous)  The trans still shifts as smooth as the day it was installed, and has NO noise whatsoever.

Again, I'm NOT saying that GL5 is a grave sin, just that in my experience, it's well worth the effort and expense of finding/buying the correct GL4 fluid that Mitsubishi says should be in this particular trans.

Cal, what brand fluid have you been using? I trust your experience/advice almost 100%, and would love to do some research on what you've been using.

Edited by slowquest, 19 August 2011 - 10:41 PM.

#26 Komeuppance

Komeuppance

Amused.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,589 posts
  • Interests:Starions, and Starion accessories

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:57 PM

Heh, I hope you wouldn't have an issue using GL4!!  I've used both, GL5 back when I was unaware of the difference.

-Robert

Posted Image

#27 88FIJIQUEST

88FIJIQUEST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Autocross, gymnastics, racing
  • Model:Other

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

So royal purple 75W-90 is a no go? It says GL-4 and GL-5 approved..
1988 Conquest Tsi Durban - ~180k on chassis, JE Pistons, prepped rods, BSE, non-JV head, mech. fan) - SOLD
1988 Conquest Tsi Fiji Blue - SOLD

#28 slowquest

slowquest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

View Post88FIJIQUEST, on 21 August 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

So royal purple 75W-90 is a no go? It says GL-4 and GL-5 approved..

If it says GL4 approved, I would figure it would be ok to use. Must use a different formulation from the original GL5 that is forbidden in the TSB.

#29 Caliber308

Caliber308

Addicted Starquester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,923 posts
  • Interests:Precision rifle shooting, Starquests, Sexy women.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

View Postslowquest, on 19 August 2011 - 10:37 PM, said:

Just to clarify, I'm not saying to never use GL5. I'm simply stating that I will only use GL4, I have never had an issue using GL4, and the latest TSB I can find says to only use GL4, never GL5.

In my experience, having bought many of these cars, changing whatever fluid is in the transmission to DiaQueen trans fluid has helped every single one. The only car I currently have that is not DiaQueen is the ShelbyQuest I bought off of Bryan (CyberQuest) and when he installed one of my spares while he still owned the car, I specifically told him that he could use the trans, but ONLY if he used a GL4 fluid. He had used auto trans fluid in every other StarQuest trans he had because of the softer shifting. He went through more than one trans on this particular car, and was running low 14, high 13 second 1/4 mile times with it. With my trans and the GL4 fluid, I've run mid-high 12's (along with some other mods, but still nothing changed with the trans other than the clutch) and once ran a mid 11 (on ALOT of nitrous)  The trans still shifts as smooth as the day it was installed, and has NO noise whatsoever.

Again, I'm NOT saying that GL5 is a grave sin, just that in my experience, it's well worth the effort and expense of finding/buying the correct GL4 fluid that Mitsubishi says should be in this particular trans.

Cal, what brand fluid have you been using? I trust your experience/advice almost 100%, and would love to do some research on what you've been using.

Sta-Lube Gear Oil 80-90 wt GL-5. (for use in Limited-Slip applications also)

Bill
87 ESI-R: J.E.s 8 to 1 .040 over, Tims roller cam, Roller rockers,Marnal Head(ported and polished) Scheider HD valvesprings, SS Valves,Zero bal,TDO5H 17 C, K.V., OVC HP, Turbo X/S RFL, Aeromotive FPR, 950/1150 injectors, Walbro , MAF-T, AEM UEGO, Summit dig. CD Ignition. box , Mallory 67k coil,D2s.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users