#21 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 21 August 2020 - 04:25 PM

Last Saturday I was able to get the new intercooler installed. Man what a difference a good core makes. My BAT drops even faster now and I am not seeing them creep upwards as I was with the CX core. Here's some pics

HKS Power Flow Filter
Posted Image

Comparison shot
Posted Image

Intercooler mounted
Posted Image

All done
Posted Image

I ordered some wheel spacers to change the center bore down so I can mount STI wheels from my friends Subaru. They are a half inch wider and look much better than my current wheels.

I also just got all the stuff to do my VVT Timing chain replacement on this car. Last thing left to do before I get back to the Miata is getting a front lip to cover the damage done by the metal I hit.

#22 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:40 PM

New update. Yesterday I was finally able to install my "new" wheels. They are Subaru STI wheels (made by Enkei) 18x8.5 55mm offset 56.1 CB. Our center bore is 67.1 so I had to use a 15mm wheel spacer to adapt the hub down. I always use hubcentric spacers as to reduce vibration and to ensure proper mounting.

Clearance is good. I am running 225/40ZR18 tires and while the sidewall was flush with the edge of the Gen 1 wheels, they are more rounded/stretched on the STI. Nothing crazy but I am sure I can fit a 245/40 tire in the wheel well but will probably have to roll the fenders if I go that route.

Posted Image

#23 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,143 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 29 August 2020 - 03:57 PM

Man that thing has really come around! Congrats dude.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#24 obsolete

obsolete

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:01 PM

Man, I never would've thought of STI wheels on a Speed3 but they look awesome. Did you have to shave down the factory lug studs at all to work with the 15mm spacers?
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#25 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 05:14 PM

View Postobsolete, on 01 September 2020 - 01:01 PM, said:

Man, I never would've thought of STI wheels on a Speed3 but they look awesome. Did you have to shave down the factory lug studs at all to work with the 15mm spacers?

I didnt have to shave the studs down at all thankfully. The STI wheels had areas near the studs which allowed the stock studs to clear.

Thanks for the feedback too. I have a front lip for the car on the way and will be doing my timing chain soon so I will get some updates soon.

#26 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 05:34 PM

Double post

Edited by Turbo Cary, 01 September 2020 - 05:35 PM.

#27 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 04 September 2020 - 09:39 AM

Looks great!   I love the mazdaspeed cars.  Great deal on picking this one up and bringing it back to life.  What a price!  

I loved my old 2006 speed6, but it didn't work so well when I tried to use it as a boat :blink:.   Definitely avoid the mazdaspeed intakes that put the air filter down near the LH front wheel well.  I mean these cars absolutely need an aftermarket or updated intake pipe but stay with one that keeps it higher in the engine bay.   I'd probably still have that car if it weren't for that darn intake pipe.  Still ticks me off and its been over 10 years.  Almost didn't buy the car due to the intake pipe (from dealer used with 20K). Didn't want a car that was modified at the time but the dealer talked me into it because it was a true mazdaspeed accessory.

#28 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:34 AM

I like it the more and more I look at it.  I like the wing too.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#29 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:41 PM

View Posttsi_tom, on 04 September 2020 - 11:34 AM, said:

I like it the more and more I look at it.  I like the wing too.

Thanks! The wing is factory for those. I prefer the 2010-2013 wings but the hatch is slightly different so I'm not sure it would work on mine.

View Postkev, on 04 September 2020 - 09:39 AM, said:

Looks great!   I love the mazdaspeed cars.  Great deal on picking this one up and bringing it back to life.  What a price!  

I loved my old 2006 speed6, but it didn't work so well when I tried to use it as a boat :blink:.   Definitely avoid the mazdaspeed intakes that put the air filter down near the LH front wheel well.  I mean these cars absolutely need an aftermarket or updated intake pipe but stay with one that keeps it higher in the engine bay.   I'd probably still have that car if it weren't for that darn intake pipe.  Still ticks me off and its been over 10 years.  Almost didn't buy the car due to the intake pipe (from dealer used with 20K). Didn't want a car that was modified at the time but the dealer talked me into it because it was a true mazdaspeed accessory.

I had debated moving it higher into the engine bay but haven't had any issues at all. I generally avoid flooded areas and Charleston is bad for that. I do see some pretty good IAT numbers with it down there. It is blocked by the front bumper and splash shield.

My front lip was delivered today. It needs paint and to sit in the sun to flex back to normal. I also really need to get this VVT/Timing chain done soon but work has been too hectic. Last week I worked on 35-40 cars and turned about 83 flat rate hours. Week before that I did over 40 cars and hit around 110 flat rate hours. The pay is great but it just doesnt stop or slow down.

Thanks to all of you for following my progress. I actually update this build thread more than I do on the Mazsaspeed forums lol.

#30 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:17 PM

Oh I see the filter in one of your pics above. Thatís exactly where mine was.  Water splashes in through the Louvered are in the plastic wheel well, as does snow and salt.  After the first winter, I noticed salt in the intake pipe past the filter!   It didnít take much to flood the car, was driving home from work and a thunderstorm went thru.  I felt the car cutting out/bogging while driving in the rain. Enough so that it fully shut down.  I was in a low area and the road didnít actually flood until after the engine cut out.  I was a sitting duck.  Water just breached the passenger door, enough to smell musty after a few days.   Engine was hydro locked and they were just going to replace it with a factory rebuilt, but when the insurance adjuster smelled the musty odor in the interior he declared it totaled.  Was a $20k car at the time and the engine was only $7k.  Still bugs the hell out of me, that happened in the summer of 2009.  

Iíd definitely consider going with a higher mounted filter despite a loss in HP.  I wasnít the only one to have the issue I had. I remember reading about others on the mazdaspeed forums back then

#31 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:15 PM

It's rained pretty bad the last week and I have been lucky so far. I am going to move the filter higher or may just by one of those AEM bypass filters for higher up in the system.

Today I replaced the timing chain and VVT actuator. I had bought special tools for it but ended up not using them because they didnt fit right. At least the camshaft plate didn't work but the crank holding pin did.

I'm real glad I replaced that stuff because it turns out the chain had been hitting the valve cover and grinding it away. Here's a few pictures. I didnt get too many pics as I was concentrated on getting the job done quickly but it still took me about 5 to 6 hours total due to never having done timing chains on this engine before. Better to be slow and double check everything.

The car runs well but the plastic arm on my intake runner control arm broke off so it is throwing a P2006 code for VTCS solenoid stuck closed. I'll have to move the sensor a little to make it contact.

Valve cover cleaned up
Posted Image

View of the timing chain damage
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users