Starion or E30?

strang3majik

I love them both. But am looking for a new fun daily. I need some assistance waiting pros and cons of both.

I found a nice 86 L05 starion local that needs paint (in primer) and an airdam. Runs beautiful and is a solid car. Not a lick of rust. Not real up on 86s though. But very solid car, I saw before and after primer pics. No putty anywhere. Has original window sticker. Etc.

Found a couple 89 325is local. They're the best one to have. Plasti bumper I cars. And before anyone says anything, they're cheaper to fix than most Hondas. E30s are very cheap maintainance. A/c works and all.

So thoughts? I'm torn between my two favorite acquirable cars.

Well being you want it for a daily driver and you live in PA..... even with snow tires I would not call a starquest a daily (in the winter) and with there quirks (and without a total update to madern parts) are just not daily driver cars IMHO. So that right there would lead me to the E30.

What are you requirements for a daily? Does it have to go in the snow? Are you trying to hit MPG numbers (This is the one that has caused me to rule out like 20 cars for my next daily) Does it have to ride nice? Seat 4 in comfort? ECT.

As far as a true car you drive every SINGLE day.

E30. I love the Starion and I think it can easily be done but I know a kid with an e30 who drives it 40 minutes up and down hills in Pittsburgh every day snow and shine. So that's my vote.

The E30 will be a bit easier to daily. Both are products with lot of 70's engineering in them. But the BMWs linage didn't go away and the car are a bit more supportable as a result. While the E36 is seens as a big departure and the start of the modern BMW, the E36 took amny of the E30 mechanical features. because of that there are many OEM upgrades avalible for the E30s from the later E36 and E46. Plus there are lots of parts in yards all over the country.

I don't think the Starquest would be a lot more difficult. But it could be enough so to be a pain in the tail. Some parts could mean extended down time if thy need replacing.

For a daily, I'd look at moving the newer E36 cars. They are newer and not much more expensive. The E36 is pretty modern too, which makes it a bit easier to live with.

E30!

I have a Starion and love it, but also have a 328ic e36 and e46 M3 and love them too. From a quality standpoint, BMW all the way! Plus an E30 with a s52 in it is a nice little sleeper.

Shawn

Yeah Ive gotta agree with the E30 votes. I dont have much experience with BMWs, but Ive heard only good things.

Also, I sort of feel like our cars are getting to the age where you just cant depend on them every day, especially if they have had 25 hard, abusive years already.. haha. Plus, that Rust free Starion wont likely stay that way if it sees a lot of salt and snow :(

Before your comment about FL, I was gonna say neither in PA.

Since you don't have to worry about that, then I say E30. If nothing else but for the comfort. Being 6-2 the SQ is not the most comfortable vehicle to ride in, and it's only made worse by having to do it all the time like you would as a daily.

Get a SQ for a fun car, and an E30 for a daily... best of both worlds.

No rust here in Florida unless someone brought them from up north. But...I had my 87 Quest as a daily for 2 years and never had an issue.

Had my 87 e30 for 6 months as a daily and no terrible issues.

But the starion I'm looking at is a stock rebuild and sounds solid as hell, and has no rust at all...floors are clean as can be underneath. I'm going to compression test it and naturally drive it before I make anything final....but....here's the issues I spotted with that one...

taillights are cracked

Driver's seat has a hole...just very dry. I want 88/89 seats anyhow

A/c panel beeps but doesn't do anything.

I'm having trouble finding e30s in my area that aren't convertibles (i'm not a vert guy). Only one thats a 1984 318i that looks like its hot off the showroom floor. But thats the m10 engine which is like 80hp and 60s technology. If it was an m20 car it'd be a different story...but a n/a four cylinder...ick. And I'm looking for one to buy and drive...not do any swaps on.

Idk.

I'd love to have a Quest again...I miss my first one and have been trying to replace it for quite a while now. But I loved my e30...(shouldn't have sold either). Neither are great on gas, but much better than my Jeep with a 5.9L.

So I have back up vehicles...well two actually, but both are v8s, so I don't like driving them daily as its expensive as hell to feed them. But they're reliable and I'd drive them to Cali if I could afford to.

So...that being said....I still don't know. In the $3k range these are the two best fun cars I can find that are decent on gas and power, and have the looks.

Also not sure if I mentioned, but I know 86s are a little different. I know 87-89, but 86...eh.

One thing I've always learned... Figure out the kind of car you want, and then find that. Don't just rush to buy whatever the best car you can find now is.... Unless the car is such a screamin good deal you can't pass it up. For instance, that SQ sounds like the best car you can find now, and I'm sure you'd end up happy with it. That said, what if in your heart you just really wanted the E30... Then you'd be driving a car that you liked, but you didn't love because you'd be wishing you were driving an E30.

Of course, I'm awful at following my own advice LOL. I often find myself buying up a good deal right now as long as it fits the bill for what I want. Like I said before tho, I will only buy something spur of the moment if it's a screaming good deal that I can't pass up.

Edited by Burton

Ok so your daily search sounds like it's ordered in this way. Price, fun to drive, performace, looks, mpg, ride quality, and can care less if it sits 4 200 pound people. So really ether car will suit you well if those are the true needs. Only fear I have for you is like someone said above. Unless the PO daily drove it, it's going to eat up more then the 3K purches price to redo evertyhing to where I would call it a daily driver. But that's also just me and I replace bolts because there rusted ;)

My current daily search is ordered MPG, luxury ridequality easy to drive, sits 4 200 pounders (if you have to), performace, fun to drive, and I can care less about looks. I would prefer a 6 speed auto (most I have found have been only 5 speed autos as the 6 speed auto option is rare and lots of $$$$ so noone got it. I would also prefer a vert. And ironic enough.... all the one's I find with low miles (it's also got to be 40K and under on miles) are in FL. O and I am looking for a 2007 and newer Saab 9-3. They seem to be the best mix and the guys on the Saab boards are reporting as high as 36MPG HW which is impresive.

Yea. More or less I want something fun to drive that I like that gets decent mpg. I could care less about comfort and seating capacity. Lol. They're comfortable enough. If I really want comfort I have a grand Cherokee with rolling leather couches :P

And here's the skinny on the 86. $1800. Needs paint, an airdam, tires, and brand new mookeh struts installed in the rear. Things starts up smooth as can. Idles steady at around 900. Revs cleanly. I've yet to drive it but of course I would before making a definite purchase. But yes. Car is very nice. The problem with e30s is I can't find what I want. I'm picky. The starquest as long as its a wide body. Seats can be changed. The e30s I keep finding myself wanting to settle for something else. But it has to be a plastic bumper 325is. No 4 cylinder. No metal bumpers. Etc.

So that's a pipe dream. Leaning a lot towards the starion.

Well sounds like you are leaning more towards the starion. It does not sound like an emergency need so you have the luxury of waiting it out. Heed burtons advice though, don't just "settle" because it's what's there. Factor in the other stuff like good tires is easy 500 600 700 depending on what you get. Shop around, wait for something to come up here from a known member ECT.

The BMW sounds like it has more things / factors / options to be pickey over. So that maybe another stumbling block with it.

Atleast your not hung up on MPG out of the car like I have been. I have turned down a bunch of nice cars because MPG were way below what a 9-3 will give me.

pffffff if your in florida and you know your way around an Starion then buy the it. I would. I know that means nothing to you but i do believe in a place like florida that an starion can be a great daily driver. no problem.

Oh believe me...I'll be knitpicky as hell...haha. Test driving and compression testing tomorrow. Two important things before making a deal.

And I dailyed my black Quest for 2 years in Florida...even got the air working. Was an excellent DD. And they're not horrible on gas...I got like 20mpg. I can deal with that. Its 11 mpg that sucks. Lol.

And it was L05 originally. What color is that? Looks like yours in the door jambs, Crazy Quest.

Well sounds like you are leaning more towards the starion. It does not sound like an emergency need so you have the luxury of waiting it out. Heed burtons advice though, don't just "settle" because it's what's there. Factor in the other stuff like good tires is easy 500 600 700 depending on what you get. Shop around, wait for something to come up here from a known member ECT.

The BMW sounds like it has more things / factors / options to be pickey over. So that maybe another stumbling block with it.

Atleast your not hung up on MPG out of the car like I have been. I have turned down a bunch of nice cars because MPG were way below what a 9-3 will give me.

MPG should be a factor in a car purchase. I always keep it in the mix. Even my latest purchase, a 3/4 ton truck, MPG rated high in my purchase decision. And I ended up with a truck that so far has gotten over 17MPG on the highway, which I'm very happy about; It is good for a gas truck with it's capabilities and price.

E30's don't do too shabby. I think even the Starquest isn't horrible. If you want a 30 year old car with some character they both do Ok in MPG. Compare to a Fox body 'Stang.

MPG is the car payment you make during your entire ownership of a car and that makes it important. That is especially true for a DD. And becomes even larger if your commute is sizable. If driving it is not a discretionary thing I think it is foolish not to think about MPG; Even if it is I think one should at least think about it.

I commute over 100 miles a day and drive 5 miles under for 3 MPG more out of my BMW (up to 31 from 28). It makes the length of time a bit longer, but not so much that it maters. Plus no worries about being pulled over. I will admit thinking this way makes me feel old.

Again I think the DD Starquests biggest issue is possible downtime for NLA hard to find parts. You can get near any part for an E30. If you need to orders you'll have it in hand in a mater of a day or 2. There are some parts on a Quest that will not be super easy to get in a hurry.

All of this said I'm planning on using my Conquest a majority of the time. But I also have a few cars and would only end up in trouble is all were broke at once.