Rim Size Question

Stagger like that will keep you closer to stock handling. However, having all 4 tires the same size will allow you to rotate tires properly

All things being equal, a wider tire will have more lateral grip, meaning wider tires in the rear would tend towards understeer (again, all other things being equal).

I'd say if the car is not a track car, do whatever you want - Neither is really better in any noticeable way on a street car.

A few of us have noticed that running the same size tires front and rear greatly improves the handling of these on autocross courses. Even running the smaller 205's on the back improves it over the 225 and 245's that I've tried. It looks horrible though....lol

A few of us have noticed that running the same size tires front and rear greatly improves the handling of these on autocross courses. Even running the smaller 205's on the back improves it over the 225 and 245's that I've tried. It looks horrible though....lol

I wonder if it has to do with the tire width or the change to the vehicle track width. Equal track width on both front and rear greatly improves grip and stability in cornering, not to mention turn-in, keeping within an acceptable track-width:wheel-base ratio, of course.

Edited by notfried

I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that. The one run with205's was quicker than the previous run with staggered 205 & 225's, not that it was quicker than 4 of any bigger. I do have to mention that the 205 run was quicker than a run with 255/45 17's with a big offset to the outside. I think the scrub radius difference made the car a LOT slower in tight turns. The front tires wouldn't grip at all, a lot of chatter from the outside tire.

Yah my last setup when I used to autox was SHP 8's in the front and nonSHP staggered 8" in the rear running 245/45 Victoracers on all four corners. That with my coilover / tokico suspension setup was perfect for me. total rails, god I miss that car, soooo much fun

But personally for a street car I love the offset larger in the rear look.

Edited by AndyW