4 replies to this topic

#1 kepico

kepico

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:57 AM

wheel

Does anyone know the original color of the grey spokes on the wheels? Attached are the one wheel with an issue, on the spoke to the right of the valve stem you'll see the color is a bit off and its not smooth, it shows some texture under the paint - last year I ended up polishing the painted areas and that one had a discoloration in it, and so I used some compound on it and it took a bit of paint off and so on and so on you know how the rest ends up..... I tried to make it look best as possible but in the sunlight (this pic is in garage) it does stand out.

Anyway I don't think thats the original paint as the wheel was polished and looks refinished but the color to me looks almost original color?

So if I can match that color I can repaint that spoke OR

the other idea I had was to get the wheels stripped & polished somewhere (I know $$) in those painted areas so it matches the rest of the wheel (the whole wheel would be polished)

Ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?

#2 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

That's a great question and I don't know if anybody really knows the answer to that.  Unlike body colors, the rims didn't really have paint color names that I've heard.  Your best bet is to take your wheel to a reputable body shop and see if they have a swatch book they'll let you look at.  Those books are usually pretty thick and have more swatch colors in them than you can wrap your head around.  If you could find one that matches you could probably have them mix it for you and sell you a can to paint it yourself - or, even better, have them refinish the grey in the wheel for you.

Personally - I like contrast, I'm not really a fan of the grey/aluminium combo look.  When I had my wheels refinished I had them do the spokes in black.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#3 kepico

kepico

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the reply techboy. When I was thinking of having the whole wheel just polished I went right to your restoration thread to see who refinished your wheels as I'm in NJ but they are almost 2 hrs from me so I was trying to find something closer.

Yeah, I saw your wheels in black and it looks great but I am not sure how'd that look on a bright red car, I think it looks much better on darker colors like black and your darker blue.

I did kind of get the original color, if you look up the center cap part #MB413678 it shows the color as "M-ARGENT-CLEAR" I think I found a paint code to kind of match up to that but thats as far as it went, I couldn't find i actually available anywhere as a color that was used on a vehicle.

#4 aknorthstar

aknorthstar

FarNorth Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

Black spokes, also 245/50 fits the 9 shp perfectly Posted Image

#5 SunbirdGTO

SunbirdGTO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:02 AM

I have the black spokes on my bright red 86.  It looks great since the grill and window trim is black also.   I also added the black door protector strips.  yeah, I know.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users