Who here has driven / lived with fender exit exhaust setups?

speedyquest

I'm really kicking around the idea of building a front fender exit exhaust using a bullet muffler and having it exit behind the passenger wheel at the bottom of my fender. My big concern is how loud it may be and drone for the passenger. I want my car to be something I can drive on a daily basis, make road trips in, etc and not feel exhausted afterwards or to be pulled over on a regular basis.

Is this a pipe dream? Is it possible to pull this off and keep some semblance of street-ability?

Lets hear your thoughts.

Allen

man, it should be fine. Are you running the stock turbo or what? It wont be that loud, especially if you are running a bullet style muffler. you wont be pulled over for it being too loud, I ran straight 3" pipe out the back with no muffler, no cat and it wasn't even that loud, so I say you will be just fine.

I must be getting old but I would hate to deal with that noise on a daily basis. I like to drive my car a lot, hear my music, and have conversations when I have other people in the car.

I must be getting old but I would hate to deal with that noise on a daily basis. I like to drive my car a lot, hear my music, and have conversations when I have other people in the car.

So is it that bad? I guess I'm looking for a description of what you've experienced. Tell me about it : )

I drove my old GTI for 6 months downpipe only. Everybody looked, it sounded like garbage, I couldn't do any spirited driving because it so damn loud, I would get nauseous from the fumes sometimes, I looked like punk kid ricer, its loud, its annoying....I could go on and on.

Oh and when I bought the Quest from Anthony it was downpipe only. I got pulled over 5 times the first day I got it and all 5 times I wasn't even speeding.

Edited by RonnieJ

Those are valid arguments for sure. My thought process for wanting to do it was that if I could some how make it not really loud it would be a kind of fun / unique setup. Also I've always liked the look of it on racecars. I have my front fenders cut to remove that widebody sill (take a look at my build thread for pictures) and that makes a perfect exit for the exhaust.

I see lots of guys on here that have done all kinds of setups and I appreciate your input so thanks for the honest input. I'm very apprehensive about doing it, but damn it would be cool!

Allen

Everybody looked, it sounded like garbage, I couldn't do any spirited driving because it so damn loud, I would get nauseous from the fumes sometimes, I looked like punk kid ricer, its loud, its annoying

Did the same thing with my S2000 for a while and it was awful. I thought it was going to be so cool having a loud race car, but I just ended up looking like a douche on the streets and I ended up always trying to be as light on the pedal as possible so I didn't look like an a*************** even more so.

And yes, the gas fumes are unbearable for a daily driver

I can pitch in from my experience on running downpipe only for quite a few months now in the communist state of California. Although it's not my daily driver because I thankfully have a work van I drive every day, it is my ride to pretty much anywhere else that isn't work related. Loud? Yeah. Sexy? Hell yeah! Exhaust fumes? Sometimes, can't even lie. But TO ME, I still dig it. I'm still debating whether to finish the exhaust to the back or leave it just downpipe like its been for months. Never gotten pulled over, and have taken multiple trips to San Francisco and Napa Valley, where the cops are real butt hurt Bobs'. Does gain attention from lots of people and a few thumbs up. True, I do take it way easier on the throttle when I see a cop but even then I've never seen one even turn my way when I drive past em. I feel like there's so many much louder cars and bikes out there that it makes my car sound meek lol.

I drove my old GTI for 6 months downpipe only. Everybody looked, it sounded like garbage, I couldn't do any spirited driving because it so damn loud, I would get nauseous from the fumes sometimes, I looked like punk kid ricer, its loud, its annoying....I could go on and on.

Oh and when I bought the Quest from Anthony it was downpipe only. I got pulled over 5 times the first day I got it and all 5 times I wasn't even speeding.

. Still thought it was funny since I worked in winchester and never got pulled over for it

Think it was the license plates or racist cops lol

I drove with a DP only for like 8 months. It was awesome. would recommend.

Just hood stack it

Exactly, and in reality, one of the main reasons why it's so loud inside is because of the fact the downpipe ends directly under the passenger seat. I'm sure if you have a side exhaust all of those vibrations I am now experiencing on the underside of my car you might never experience because of the side exit. Just my .02 and they more likely than not are wrong so don't quote me on that :P

Exactly, and in reality, one of the main reasons why it's so loud inside is because of the fact the downpipe ends directly under the passenger seat. I'm sure if you have a side exhaust all of those vibrations I am now experiencing on the underside of my car you might never experience because of the side exit. Just my .02 and they more likely than not are wrong so don't quote me on that :P

depends on the turbo

my old td06h 20g was fine as a DD open DP, however the hx40 open downpipe was godawful lol

Use an electric cut out. Muffler out the back when it is closed. Out the side when it is open and you want to piss off the girl friend.

Edit. I can barely live with the noise and fumes of a strait through no cat out the back.

Edited by StarquestRescue

Use an electric cut out. Muffler out the back when it is closed. Out the side when it is open and you want to piss off the girl friend.

Edit. I can barely live with the noise and fumes of a strait through no cat out the back.

switch to e85, its turbo perfume

This is your best option. No muffler that fits in that area will stop the car from being loud and attracting attention.