Question about rebuilding trannys ( auto )

Ironside

Ok my tranny OD is shot, Shelby helped me make sure of it with his advice and experience with the auto tranny.

1. If my OD is shot will it mean the drum needs to be replaced? It will not go into OD at all.

2. If I need a OD drum are they available ( used or new )?

3. My tranny shifts great 1st through 3rd so should I just replace/ rebuild the OD section and call it a day?

Since I have it down should I just do a complete rebuild?

4. Not a question, I plan to dd the auto car and it will remain completly stock at 10 psi on the 3 port wg.

5. Anyone who has rebuilt these trannys what all did you have to replace and where did you get it?

Any and all advice is appreiciated.

thanks

Perry

Hey Perry... RockAuto has a complete kit & a partial kit, VERY Reasonable. Wanna deal... I'll purchase (2) complete kits. (1) for you/(1) for me, & you rebuild mine as well as yours? :o Look forward to see'n / talk'n to you soon!

Hey Perry... RockAuto has a complete kit & a partial kit, VERY Reasonable. Wanna deal... I'll purchase (2) complete kits. (1) for you/(1) for me, & you rebuild mine as well as yours? :o Look forward to see'n / talk'n to you soon!

I have two auto tranny's with the same problem, but I will try and help anyway I can.

I just need some insight before I tear into it, I want all the parts I need on hand before I start. When tearing into something like this I want to get it back together soon as possible so its fresh in my mind. I might get a friend to build it though.

Haven't decided yet.

Did mine over a year ago. Have pic's somewhere is this forum. Your drum may be good if the band isn't down to metal. I bought a used drum from JP Transmissions in TX. They have a website. I would rebuild the whole thing.

Did mine over a year ago. Have pic's somewhere is this forum. Your drum may be good if the band isn't down to metal. I bought a used drum from JP Transmissions in TX. They have a website. I would rebuild the whole thing.

Thanks, I need to do some digging now.

The drum may yet be ok and you may be able to resurface the drums if they aren't damaged to badly. If you have to replace one, take the old one with you... There are several versions of the drums for different years/applications so you need to check it when you get it.

I'd replace all the friction materials at a minimum (get a full kit) and clean out everything. Upgrades are available for both the friction plates and bands.

Your trans will tell you a lot once you start to pull it apart. It could be worse than you think even for 1-3 working great... or it could be near mint and one bit might have failed.

The drum may yet be ok and you may be able to resurface the drums if they aren't damaged to badly. If you have to replace one, take the old one with you... There are several versions of the drums for different years/applications so you need to check it when you get it.

I'd replace all the friction materials at a minimum (get a full kit) and clean out everything. Upgrades are available for both the friction plates and bands.

Your trans will tell you a lot once you start to pull it apart. It could be worse than you think even for 1-3 working great... or it could be near mint and one bit might have failed.

Great info I will pm you when I get home. thanks...

On my post I should have included a mention of the bands. I recommed sending yours to Mike(the above post) for resurfacing and he is wealth of info.

do not get refurb bands, only use brand new, Mike on here can get you the kevlar ones last I heard as well as the redline clutches. if the drum shows severe scoring or overheating it will need replaced, same goes for the friction discs inbetween the clutches. the only way to know what all you need is to tear it down to the last bolt. but you will probably need gaskets, o-rings, clutches, and then possibly torque converter and oil pump depending how much metal went through the trans.. followed by steel hard parts..
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just had my tranny guy tear into the tranny.

OD drum is trash...Band is down to metal.

It has a E stamped on it, does that ID witch drum it is?