anyone ever make there own gasket or oring set?

oring gasket set for ECI T.B

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chris brasher

chris brasher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:starquest
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:02 PM

ANYONE ever make there own black rubber ORING's and make there own Gasket's when it came to replacing the ECI throttle body orings and gaskets for there 81,82,and 83 starion 2.6 liter turbo engine with the stock OEM  ECI throttle body?    you can get the kit for a TBI all day long at alot of places on the web.... but there is no kit for gaskets or orings for a ECI throttle body so far............. and i have folks across seas looking for me who also have the same issues............................ i was just curious if anyone attempted this..... i know i have other options changing the fuel system to a TBI ETC......... but i am trying to stick with OEM    if possible................................ i guess this is a question for the veterans who have ever owned a ECI    and it poured gas on them from the top and side............ please write back............ i'll take all the tips and advice i can get................... thanks to everyone who cares to chat back thanks again.... CHRIS from alabama....................

#2 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:27 PM

Hi Chris . You can make your own stuff and also match seals/orings. Just make sure to use fuel resistant materials. Never did one of these but l do it on motorcycle carbs or just about anything that needs it. It helps to have sharp blades for cutting and hole punch set.
Also for seals there are kits that come with variety of sizes that you can pick OD size  cut it to your desired length and comes w glue to join the ends together (l wouldn't use this to seal any fuel lines)
Orings and seals on this car are metric.

Edited by croquest87, 09 April 2020 - 08:38 PM.

#3 aknorthstar

aknorthstar

FarNorth Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:13 PM

https://www.ebay.com...BMAAOSwQz1bJWMj

#4 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:43 PM

The largest seal he needs is 90mm ID x 2mm thick and that is usually pretty hard to come by in kits.  You best bet is to contact a company like ACE Seal or similar and tell them the sizes you need.  You need around 11-13 orings to rebuild the TB.
Posted Image

#5 obsolete

obsolete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:56 AM

I don't know anything about the '83 ECI unit specifically, but if you are willing and able to measure all the sizes of o-ring you need, I've had great luck ordering from here for other projects: https://www.theoringstore.com/
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#6 chris brasher

chris brasher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:35 AM

i am getting wonderful information you guys are great the more information and places to find materials the better for others to read that have issues like i have....... thank you all for helping alot more then just me................ i know there are others in the same boat im in now,and may have even figured out the best way to tackle such a headache.................. thanks again.

#7 stesir

stesir

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Model:Other

Posted 11 April 2020 - 05:59 AM

I need to get rid of these and letting them go..check out my other listings for more Starion and Conquest TSi parts cheap!

https://www.ebay.com...984.m1555.l2649

#8 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts
  • Interests:Serving Our Lord Jesus Christ!

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:00 PM

You can use the later model year injector seal kits for the bottom on the '83 injectors. I've used orings for the top area. That area isn't as much for sealing fuel as it is for getting the proper height spacing when the hat gets put together. The injector seals are orings inside, and the same ones for later model years work for them too. Still available at Rock Auto.
I'm presently modifying an '83 top hat to fit later year injectors. Mostly because I have several sets of good '84, '85, '86 etc... injectors. so it will be a zero to low dollar fix when I'm done.
'87TSi .510Roller Cam, JE Forged, TS Rings & plateau honed walls, lightened rods, race prepped crank, mains line honed, balanced, 17C, 3"EX, 2"HardPipes, AlFly, rrfpr, 88trans, 3.90's w/posi plate mods, polyBushings, STSprings, KYBStruts, Camber Plates, CustomAlternator
Traded for new set of tires for my wife's Buick: '87 TSI Gold that needs just about all steering and suspension parts replaced, injectors, a new transmission, clutch, and various electrical gremlins. New owner is a mechanic who is already driving it. I couldn't stand letting it sit any more!
'86 ESiR - OEM Roller Cam, Wiseco Forged 8:1 Pistons, Chad's equal length header, TEP T3/T4 turbo, ACT HD clutch, Fidanza Fly, custom 3" exhaust, 3 core oversized radiator, O-ringed block, AJUSA metal shim head gasket, Dawes Device boost controller
'85 Plymouth Conquest Auto , Wiseco 8:1, super light pins, shaved rods, hi-torque cam, 2.5 Exhaust
'84 Dodge Conquest Parts car
'83 Starion - Gutted stock exhaust with '87 TSi muffler, New engine with: BS Elim,forged Wisecos,balanced,Schneider274H,marnal w/oversized stainless valves
'83 Cannonball Run II Jackie Chan car, Basic ring and bearing job w/less than 6K original miles on body, steering, suspension, & rear end, Lightened stock fly, BS Elim, Walbro 255LPH FP, NEW Clearwater head with all new parts, intercooled, 14G turbo, 2750 car weight
'96 Mitsu Mirage w/rebuilt head. Gets 35+MPG.
'87 Dodge Ram50 4WD Rebuilt engine, fresh stock head, Weber carbed, BS elim. Runs great now!
'97 Buick Ultra (supercharged Park Avenue)

#9 chris brasher

chris brasher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:54 AM

wow would love to see pictures

#10 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member