Problems with old Compaq Presario 700 laptop

Mnementh

Well, I got a -FREE- laptop and was hoping to be able to play MPEG4, MKV and AVI video files on it & port them out the video out jack to the input on my TV. Problems? Yeah, I got a few...

1. Video only plays small, I can't enlarge it. I'm using the VLC media player but even if I copy the file onto the HD the video is still jerky & stutters. Video will completely stall if I try to play in full screen mode.

2. I can't figure out how to turn the video out on the laptop ON...I hooked it up to the TV but there's no signal.

#2's probably an easy fix but #1 worries me - is the computer so old and crappy that it can't play video or is it just kludged up with crap and running slowly or something else? Near as I can tell, Presario 700s were sold between 2002-04 so I suppose that's how old it is...

Thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by Mnementh

Well, I got a -FREE- laptop and was hoping to be able to play MPEG4, MKV and AVI video files on it & port them out the video out jack to the input on my TV. Problems? Yeah, I got a few...

1. Video only plays small, I can't enlarge it. I'm using the VLC media player but even if I copy the file onto the HD the video is still jerky & stutters. Video will completely stall if I try to play in full screen mode.

2. I can't figure out how to turn the video out on the laptop ON...I hooked it up to the TV but there's no signal.

#2's probably an easy fix but #1 worries me - is the computer so old and crappy that it can't play video or is it just kludged up with crap and running slowly or something else? Near as I can tell, Presario 700s were sold between 2002-04 so I suppose that's how old it is...

Thanks for your help in advance.

Assuming everything works....

Your Laptop needs to support the resolution the TV does, or the image will look low-res. Usually 1080x720 or something like that. I assume you're running Windows XP if your PC is form '02.

You need to send the video signal to the TV, with a laptop the TV is acting like a secondary monitor, so you must send the video there manually first, afer the initial setup it will automatically do what you want when the second monitor is attached.. Right click on the desktop and you will either see a selection called "output to", or just "properties" at the bottom. Using either menu will enable you to output to two monitors, and will let you pick which one will be the primary, set resolutions, etc. It's pretty elf-explanatory once you're in there.

Assuming everything works....

Your Laptop needs to support the resolution the TV does, or the image will look low-res. Usually 1080x720 or something like that. I assume you're running Windows XP if your PC is form '02.

Sorry, yes, it's running XP and, according to the stickers on the case, it has an AMD Duron processor. :P

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...