Transmission problem maybe? Hard to turn.

Having some problem with my car I think transmission, My engine without connected to the trans is very easy to turn, but after putting the transmission (stock 88 auto) it is pretty hard to move the engine doesnt seams to change with changing the gear. When moving the the rear wheels it always feels pretty hard to move, and i dont think the brakes are an issue. With the engine a little losse from the transmission the engine it turns over pretty easy. Any ideas?

Sounds like your torque converter isn't clocked into the pump in the trans correctly. If you've tightened the bolts down and the converter is amiss you can break the pump. Probably should back the trans away from the motor and make sure the converter dogs are seated properly.

Slide the convertor on the trans before you put it in. Then bolt the convertor to the flexplate once the trans is mounted to the motor... Not the other way around (like a manual trans). Its harder that way because you have to keep the convertor from falling off and the trans will wiegh more, but its worth it.

The engine will be harder to turn with the auto trans attached. Even in neutral, there is some internal friction and you are pumping fluid.

Thanks for the help got it good! Removed the engine from the trans, dissconected the engine mounts, then pulled it back and then on it rotated it some then it slipped on and now turns easy!

• 1 year later...

9 out of 10 times doing that will break the oil pump drive gear inside the tranny ,,the pump drive gears was what you were not meshed with

you never mount convertor on flex plate then install into tranny at same time as installing engine , always incert into trans then bolt to flex plate