• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 TurboRaider

TurboRaider

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Turbo 2.6 engines swapped into Montero's and Dodge Raiders.<br /><br />Electro mechanical design engineer.
  • Model:Other

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (turbosigma2 @ Mar 12 2009, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
M9 heads can still be had new, but it looks like the roller cams are almost non existant.

Crow cams are the biggest supplier of standard and modified cams in Australia, and they do not have any.
http://www.crowcams.com.au/media/catalogue...ni%20,Sigma.pdf

I would not expect an aftermarket cam company to carry a OE stock replacment cam.  What I was curious about is that still a good part # from the dealer and / or is it availible from aftermarket shops that specalize in standard repair parts.  Basicly the AU equivilant of NAPA and Autozone in the US.

Any idea what the factory PN is?

Thanks,

Kevin C

Edited by TurboRaider, 13 March 2009 - 07:37 PM.

#42 turbosigma2

turbosigma2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

Not for Mitsubishi. Still a limited suplly of GM and Ford OEM parts.

Biggest spares chain here is Repco. They have access to anything that's out there, but drew a blank on the Roller cam. One of the problems is that that particular motor had such a short production run. The previous motor had standard rockers with hydraulic lash adjusters, and the next model Magna had the 2.4
I have sent off a couple of emails, i'll keep you posted.

Edited by turbosigma2, 14 March 2009 - 07:37 AM.

#43 turbosigma2

turbosigma2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:32 AM

Tried the Magna forums and did no good. Pointless trying the local Starion forum as 99% of them use the 4g63.

#44 Shelby

Shelby

Rookie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,164 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

i bet theres more arround then one might think it's all in knowing where to look
Shelby trance's StarQuest i-x.net
86MightyMax89Tsi, MPi , 20g ;) (sold:( )
88TSI Silver
89TSI red auto

#45 TurboRaider

TurboRaider

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Turbo 2.6 engines swapped into Montero's and Dodge Raiders.<br /><br />Electro mechanical design engineer.

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Shelby @ Mar 18 2009, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i bet theres more arround then one might think it's all in knowing where to look

Exactly...  

So far I'm very happy with the roller.  For my motor this cam seems to be a perfect match, the stock cam had too much overlap for a turbo.  

The stock cam was designed to get max power from a small four with a passenger car RPM range and no turbo.

On vacation next week...  the next test will be the 1.6 rollers.

Kevin

#46 Shelby

Shelby

Rookie

• Moderators
  • 50,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

be intersting to see what  the rocker ratio  change does to the cam , from the chart it  looks like no changes will be made  of any real diff untill  it starts up the lobes,, then an increase  in duration and slight increase in lift,,  realy should be no down side effects at all to the 1.6 rockers
88TSI Silver
89TSI red auto

#47 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,077 posts
  • Interests:Serving Our Lord Jesus Christ!
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Shelby @ Mar 18 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
be intersting to see what  the rocker ratio  change does to the cam , from the chart it  looks like no changes will be made  of any real diff untill  it starts up the lobes,, then an increase  in duration and slight increase in lift,,  realy should be no down side effects at all to the 1.6 rockers

I agree. There really can't be a downside unless the valves don't close all the way! I think they will, no problem.
'87TSi .510Roller Cam, JE Forged, TS Rings & plateau honed walls, lightened rods, race prepped crank, mains line honed, balanced, 17C, 3"EX, 2"HardPipes, AlFly, rrfpr, 88trans, 3.90's w/posi plate mods, polyBushings, STSprings, KYBStruts, Camber Plates, CustomAlternator
Traded for new set of tires for my wife's Buick: '87 TSI Gold that needs just about all steering and suspension parts replaced, injectors, a new transmission, clutch, and various electrical gremlins. New owner is a mechanic who is already driving it. I couldn't stand letting it sit any more!
'86 ESiR - OEM Roller Cam, Wiseco Forged 8:1 Pistons, Chad's equal length header, TEP T3/T4 turbo, ACT HD clutch, Fidanza Fly, custom 3" exhaust, 3 core oversized radiator, O-ringed block, AJUSA metal shim head gasket, Dawes Device boost controller
'85 Plymouth Conquest Auto , Wiseco 8:1, super light pins, shaved rods, hi-torque cam, 2.5 Exhaust
'84 Dodge Conquest Parts car
'83 Starion - Gutted stock exhaust with '87 TSi muffler, New engine with: BS Elim,forged Wisecos,balanced,Schneider274H,marnal w/oversized stainless valves
'83 Cannonball Run II Jackie Chan car, Basic ring and bearing job w/less than 6K original miles on body, steering, suspension, & rear end, Lightened stock fly, BS Elim, Walbro 255LPH FP, NEW Clearwater head with all new parts, intercooled, 14G turbo, 2750 car weight
'96 Mitsu Mirage w/rebuilt head. Gets 35+MPG.
'87 Dodge Ram50 4WD Rebuilt engine, fresh stock head, Weber carbed, BS elim. Runs great now!
'97 Buick Ultra (supercharged Park Avenue)

#48 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (TurboRaider @ Mar 17 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly...  

So far I'm very happy with the roller.  For my motor this cam seems to be a perfect match, the stock cam had too much overlap for a turbo.  

The stock cam was designed to get max power from a small four with a passenger car RPM range and no turbo.

On vacation next week...  the next test will be the 1.6 rollers.

Kevin

Yep, I've been trying to tell people that for years, but they get their bottom end torque with the stock cam and that's all they want. They don't realize you get a much better average HP with a turbo style cam that has less overlap at least. Add a wider range up top too, and it's win win with a turbo cam, or at least characteristics that are more conducive to a turbo set-up.

'87TSi .510Roller Cam, JE Forged, TS Rings & plateau honed walls, lightened rods, race prepped crank, mains line honed, balanced, 17C, 3"EX, 2"HardPipes, AlFly, rrfpr, 88trans, 3.90's w/posi plate mods, polyBushings, STSprings, KYBStruts, Camber Plates, CustomAlternator
Traded for new set of tires for my wife's Buick: '87 TSI Gold that needs just about all steering and suspension parts replaced, injectors, a new transmission, clutch, and various electrical gremlins. New owner is a mechanic who is already driving it. I couldn't stand letting it sit any more!
'86 ESiR - OEM Roller Cam, Wiseco Forged 8:1 Pistons, Chad's equal length header, TEP T3/T4 turbo, ACT HD clutch, Fidanza Fly, custom 3" exhaust, 3 core oversized radiator, O-ringed block, AJUSA metal shim head gasket, Dawes Device boost controller
'85 Plymouth Conquest Auto , Wiseco 8:1, super light pins, shaved rods, hi-torque cam, 2.5 Exhaust
'83 Starion - Gutted stock exhaust with '87 TSi muffler, New engine with: BS Elim,forged Wisecos,balanced,Schneider274H,marnal w/oversized stainless valves
'83 Cannonball Run II Jackie Chan car, Basic ring and bearing job w/less than 6K original miles on body, steering, suspension, & rear end, Lightened stock fly, BS Elim, Walbro 255LPH FP, NEW Clearwater head with all new parts, intercooled, 14G turbo, 2750 car weight
'87 Dodge Ram50 4WD Rebuilt engine, fresh stock head, Weber carbed, BS elim. Runs great now!

#49 Shelby

Shelby

Rookie

• Moderators
  • 50,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

only one small problem  there Tim,,this is still not a turbo grind cam,wink.gif
not being a smart a**
but i see nothing but positives from  useing this roller cam on 90% of our cars , it may not be the super  max hp cam some are looking for but  by far more members  are wanting an improve'd cam   for their daily  and i think this will be it
88TSI Silver
89TSI red auto

#50 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:12 AM

Yes, I was careful to say 'a grind conducive to a turbo', etc... I was also trying to say a true turbo grind definitely has it's advantages. There are also cams that are ground for certain applications that make the engine not perform as well in an all around sense. People want low end torque and top end power and everything in between. A cam can't do that for you. That is accomplished with engine management, and even that has it's limitations. A stock cam isn't going to perform above 4800 or so. If you run it, you better plan on taking measures to hook up a lot of torque and measures to handle that torque without breaking because you need to start clearing ground at under 2000RPM or you will run out of RPM to work with on the straight sections in a road race, or the end of track in a drag race. Then you are talking about something other than a StarQuest when you are done building that car.

#51 Shelby

Shelby

Rookie

• Moderators
  • 50,164 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

Tim the B230TF volvo is deff a turbo grind cam , if you get a chance take a look at it's specs , you'l be suprise'd it's a 2.3 engine

when reading specs  remember it's a cam over valve engine ,or a sliper realy with a very long slip area or no rocker arms

Edited by Shelby, 19 March 2009 - 09:57 AM.

88TSI Silver
89TSI red auto

#52 turbosigma2

turbosigma2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:59 PM

A serviced M7 head complete with roller rockers on Australian ebay recently didnt get a bid. Trouble was the guy wouldnt post. Said it was too big to post. Maybe back on soon ,who knows.
I have M1 and M4 heads. both with roller rockers fitted. Some guys over here think that the M4 makes a better street turbo head than the M7. I have never had a M7 so I cannot comment.
Australia had a fectory Mitsubishi Sigma suck through turbo in 1981. It was fitted with the 4g52 Astron, but came fitted with a stock 2.6 factory camshaft.
I guess that Mitsubishi think that the 2.6 cam is close enough.

Edited by turbosigma2, 23 March 2009 - 12:35 AM.

#53 87quest-TSI

87quest-TSI

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Trying to keep it running....... Always something to do on them.

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:40 PM

Bump. This is all good info.
1996 Dodge Ram 4x4 club cab.
1989 Conquest TSI Sophia White, sunroof, has A Modified Magna MPI intake by me, MegaSquirt 2 with a 3.57 board running 2.1.0 code and EDIS.
1988 Conquest TSI Silver, sunroof , caravan intake and a KDM exhaust.
1988 Conquest TSI Sophia White, auto, parts car.
1987 Conquest TSI Shetland Beige Metallic (S83), in hibernation.
1971 JEEP CJ5

Posted ImagePosted Image

#54 PDX87Starion

PDX87Starion

Normal Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • Interests:Cars.. duh
  • Model:Starion

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:10 PM

Bump again.

Hey TurboRaider do you think you could post a graph for the stock cam, with just two lines, one for the stock slippers and one with V6 rollers. It would help clear up some confusion. Also could the intake be on the left with the exhaust on the right?

Thanks, great work BTW.
<b>Red 87 Starion---Black 87 Conquest </b>

#55 Elkidmino

Elkidmino

Polack Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts
  • Interests:Burning Rubber

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:19 PM

I'll bump this again, I learned alot and would like to learn more.  Any updates?  Oh, and I couldn't get the links to the xls files to work, it said, "page not found"
Posted Image
Magna MPI, SDS-3E, 65lb inj, MSD 6AL, Schnieder HD Springs, S16G, ProfecB-Spec 2 EBC
UAS Strut Bags, KYB Struts, BigRed 2-way Valves, 1/2" air lines, PS2 solenoid controller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users