4G54B engine dimensions

I am putting a 2.3 Mazda MZR turbo motor into a 1990 Mazda Miata. The MZR motor was originally installed east/west and the Miata is north/south. All available Mazda transmissions are capable of a maximum 250 hp/250 lb./ft torque. After that the aluminum cases spread and shear off the gear teeth. The MZR motor stock is past the capability of any available Mazda transmission. A couple of my workmates play with the 2.6 turbo boosted way over 300 hp and use the stock 5-speed. See where I am going? I have an 89 2.6 Turbo 5 speed trans. I am trying to adapt this trans to the Mazda engine. I am attempting to get the engineering drawings to make an adapter plate. I have the Mazda engineering drawings but have been unable to locate the 2.6 turbo dimensions. What I need is the engineering drawings showing the rear engine dimensions or the drawings showing the transmission bellhousing dimensions. Any suggestions as to where this information might be found? Thank you for your time and effort.

Danny Cengic cengic@sbcglobal.net

Chad on this website has done a t56 conversion kit with an adaptor plate, he would probably know those figures. PM him.

Thanks for the info. It is what I need. The dimensions in the illustration do not match my transmission. Are they for a 2.6 Turbo 1989? What book are they from? Your help is appreciated. Sorry for getting back so late, I work construction and sometimes I don't get home weeks at a time. Thanks again Danny

You should be able to find it in the factory service manual for any Conquest/Starion. Also in the factory service manual for the Mighty Max pickup from Mitsubishi. Other members correct me if I'm wrong. Kelly Dahman has links galore to FAQs, and here is a link for all the electronic FSMs

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/ser...nual_index.html

Edited by scottyP

You should be able to find it in the factory service manual for any Conquest/Starion. Also in the factory service manual for the Mighty Max pickup from Mitsubishi. Other members correct me if I'm wrong. Kelly Dahman has links galore to FAQs, and here is a link for all the electronic FSMs

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/ser...nual_index.html

Still can't find the info i need. Post #3 from Button is what I need but for a wide block. Anyone have an idea what Mopar performance book this might be?

• 1 month later...

wideblock, narrow block? isnt 4g54b just another name for the g54b? i wasnt aware there was a narrow and wide block. i know the 4g63 had a narrow and wide block but thats a different beast.

http://www.rodshop.com.au/

that company is redoing their website but they offer an adapter to bolt a supra 5 speed to the starion block.

you said mazda doesnt have any trannys that will hold up to it? rx7 wont? rx7 tranny is a somewhat common swap for us. If you have a tranny can't you just get the measurements off of it since you have the mazda numbers?