Need P/N for GM alternator

alp247

Ok so i bought one from a member not too long (not JR) ago and now i believe it died on me. I don't know btu when i originally installed it i noticed it was barely pushing 14v on the meter and wasn't any better than my stock unit. I didn't pay attention to it too much since i figured that maybe the guage in car was just acting up but a few night ago it actually dropped to 12v at night when i was driving home. got me all paranoid so when i got home it put the meter on it and it was only reading 12.57v? I had the alt tested at autozone using the 1995 GMC G1500 1/2 ton Van 6 cylinder specs on the alt which looked exactly like the the one i got (except i had the pully changed) Basically the machine said my alternator was completely dead.

Does anyone know if this is the correct alt we are using for our cars on the GM Conversion? I am going to send back the other alt back and get a new one but i need to buy another one ASAP so i can get my car running. SO any help would be great...thanks

Newquest,

Thank you for the info!!! I swear...sometimes I think people don't want to share any info on stuff because they are too busy trying to make the quick dollar people and would rather keep this info to themselves and make you buy it from them. i really appreciate the info and my hat's off to you.

The thing is that thre's a bunch of different GM alt's out there that are of that configuration, so there's a number of part numbers. Then add the aftermarket alternators of the same configuration, and there's more part numbers. I don't think anyone's trying to hide anything, they just don't know a specific part number. Compared to all the other tuner cars out there, our community works together and shares info ALOT more than the other car enthusiasts do.

Just hit up Jolyrgr and get his alt. kit and be done with it. His has stood up to the abuse that 3 different other types of GM alt's couldn't handle in my car.....

http://www.26liter.us/forum/index.php/topic,2725.0.html

Edited by Burton

Burton,

Thanks for the info. Here is my dilemma. I already bought the alt from another person which a few have recommended. I would have bought it from JR…but my last purchase with him was a little sketchy. No offence JR your exhaust is great that I bought from you and the bracket for the alt was great. Just the communication was not spot on. You need to let people know when they will get there stuff or if you a have a delay. I felt I had to constantly nag him and ask him the status of my stuff. That is why i decided to try someone else.

Anyways… the alt decided to die out on me for some reason. No big deal I just return it and get a new one but then I started to think to myself why the heck I am buying stuff that is across state? It’s kind of silly if you think about it. Now if it ever dies on me I have to send it out on my own cost, package it …etc that’s just too much work. I figure I might as well just buy it at AutoZone or some parts place local so I can just return it there with no hassle. If possible they can just give me another one if it’s on the shelf. That is why is why I was asking if anyone can give me the P/N but even at this point I think it’s about money to some people so it’s all good.

Burton,

Thanks for the info. Here is my dilemma. I already bought the alt from another person which a few have recommended. I would have bought it from JR…but my last purchase with him was a little sketchy. No offence JR your exhaust is great that I bought from you and the bracket for the alt was great. Just the communication was not spot on. You need to let people know when they will get there stuff or if you a have a delay. I felt I had to constantly nag him and ask him the status of my stuff. That is why i decided to try someone else.

Anyways… the alt decided to die out on me for some reason. No big deal I just return it and get a new one but then I started to think to myself why the heck I am buying stuff that is across state? It’s kind of silly if you think about it. Now if it ever dies on me I have to send it out on my own cost, package it …etc that’s just too much work. I figure I might as well just buy it at AutoZone or some parts place local so I can just return it there with no hassle. If possible they can just give me another one if it’s on the shelf. That is why is why I was asking if anyone can give me the P/N but even at this point I think it’s about money to some people so it’s all good.

Sounds similar to me... I bought a Tim C one and it junked out on me after a couple of years. I took it to a local alt shop, and he set me up with a GM110, and even swapped the pulleys and everything over for me for $70. That one lasted 6 months, I took it back and bought another for $70, and that lasted about 6 months as well. Of course, I bought the cheapest alts he sold, probably some China built stuff, but he did sell better alternators. I finally just went with Joly because I've never had issues with him, and I like to spend my money with community vendors whenever possible, even if it isn't the cheapest route.

Why not just have a good alt. shop by you reccomend the best replacement alternator they can in that configuration? They should know which suppliers sell junk and which ones don't. Then you got someone local to deal with and I'm sure they can even swap the pulleys and spacers for ya.

• 11 months later...

1989-1994 gm corvette just change the pulley i have that alt on my car now

I had a hard time finding this info, so I'm adding a little more to this thread.

The 89-94 Corvette is the correct one. The mounting holes are 180* apart and spaced 6.6"

These are the part #'s I found.

New:

Bosch: BSH AL8684N

Remaned:

Duralast: DLG1351-6-11

NSA Part # ALT1068

ACDELCO Part # 3342346

BOSCH Part # AL8684X

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1886165

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/dur/DLG1351-6-11/image/2/

Keywords: GM Alternator Conversion, CS-130, CS130, CS-144, CS144